Gaming Tekken Tag 2 is such a Wii U fighting gem!

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Tekken Tag 2's is one of Wii U's launch games but you know what, between Tekken Tag 2 and Smash Wii U, I'd pick TT2 instead because the fighting feels so much better and more fluid (as is the case with Tekken games) but there's an issue: I CAN'T FREAKING FIND ANYONE TO PLAY ONLINE!

That and posting screenshots on the Miiverse isn't possible which sucks because Bryan as Captain Falcon looks totally legit and I'd like 'em as my Miiverse wall.

Managed to find one on Google:

12sc4UX.jpg

Interestingly Tekken Tag 2 on the Wii U even got its own arcade stick which is pretty nice but because the Wii U catalogue is so limited and doesn't have X-Men Arcade, The Simpsons Arcade, Turtles in Time or other awesome games that'd make use of it it's kinda pointless (and expensive).

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Online in TTT2 sucks and the game is very slow to load matches (even lags in the menu). Maybe I'm spoiled because I've played arcade fighters since the 90s, but I personally find TTT2 to be unenjoyable to play, either for fun or competitively. Anyway, I've also imported the stick from Japan and it sucks. Here are a few pictures including a bonus picture with my current collection of Wii / Wii U stuff :):

DSCF4624.jpg
DSCF4625.jpg
IMG_0496.jpg

It's a regular Hori unit with Kuro buttons and a modified stick from the Fighting Stick series. That is to say, STAY AWAY. It looks nice, but the build quality doesn't hold up. In fact, don't get a fighting stick for the Wii U at all since the only Wii U game to gain from it is TTT2. It's an expensive stick just for the exclusivity alone.

I'm waiting for Tekken 7 for PS4. That's a game I'll likely enjoy (if it's anything like Tekken 6, which is much better than the Tag series). And there are so many other fighting games for the PS4 coming out, so spending on a quality stick with Sanwa parts will pay off.

Wii U is only good for Smash Bros. if you can get the GameCube adapter. If you want to play fighters, look elsewhere. :)

• Haha
Reactions: ChibiMofo

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck trying to find people to play non nintendo games on nintendo hardware since anything not made by nintendo is most likely ignored.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Good luck trying to find people to play non nintendo games on nintendo hardware since anything not made by nintendo is most likely ignored.

It's not like TTT2 is exclusive to Wii U, though. You have Nintendo costumes and a few special modes that are exclusive to it, but anyone with a PS3 or Xbox 360 could play it as well and those consoles simply have a much better online system than Nintendo has ever had. Try setting up a match with a friend to play Smash Bros. on Wii U. Further, Nintendo doesn't support USB controllers so stick/pad manufacturers would have to specifically make Wii U compatible hardware. This is made even worse by the fact that third party controllers must connect to the Wiimote meaning input lag is very possible. So the question is why would someone play with an inferior experience when there are better options out there?

Reactions: Mario92 and cvskid

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
I got the game for PS3 year before I even had Wii U.
It would help if they allowed multiplatform online multiplayer, it would keep all platforms alive longer. I know Cubemen 2 allows multiplayer to PC version and that many games on Playstation allows multiplayer to PC as well.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I got the game for PS3 year before I even had Wii U.
I actually forgot about that: Wii U didn't even exist when TTT2 was released for other platforms, so by the time TTT2 for Wii U hit the market, everyone who wanted to play the game had a fair chance doing so for at least three months.
It would help if they allowed multiplatform online multiplayer, it would keep all platforms alive longer.
That'd require the game developers to set up custom servers for their games, which isn't ideal. (Although it'd potentially mean a game could survive a shutdown of the established network services for a console, e.g. Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection on DS/Wii.) I think having multiplatform online multiplayer is good, but only when the game was specifically designed for that (e.g. MMORPGs that have near identical console and PC versions).

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Online in TTT2 sucks and the game is very slow to load matches (even lags in the menu). Maybe I'm spoiled because I've played arcade fighters since the 90s, but I personally find TTT2 to be unenjoyable to play, either for fun or competitively. Anyway, I've also imported the stick from Japan and it sucks. Here are a few pictures including a bonus picture with my current collection of Wii / Wii U stuff :):

View attachment 14123
View attachment 14124
View attachment 14125

It's a regular Hori unit with Kuro buttons and a modified stick from the Fighting Stick series. That is to say, STAY AWAY. It looks nice, but the build quality doesn't hold up. In fact, don't get a fighting stick for the Wii U at all since the only Wii U game to gain from it is TTT2. It's an expensive stick just for the exclusivity alone.

I'm waiting for Tekken 7 for PS4. That's a game I'll likely enjoy (if it's anything like Tekken 6, which is much better than the Tag series). And there are so many other fighting games for the PS4 coming out, so spending on a quality stick with Sanwa parts will pay off.

Wii U is only good for Smash Bros. if you can get the GameCube adapter. If you want to play fighters, look elsewhere. :)

I had thought it'd connect via USB but it's through the Wiimote, meh.. that's awful.

Zelda Wind Waker HD with the figure? You bought that again?

• Haha
Reactions: ChibiMofo

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
That's actually just the box! No longer have the game or the figurine.

Oh right, the box looks pretty nice and cool.

I've got the Smash Wii U NGC box, Bayonetta 2 Special Edition box and Smash Wii U's GameCube box and I can't part ways with them because they just look so damn nice!

Although, my Wii U Pro Controller has no box since it was part of the ZombiU Premium Wii U edition.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I have the game aswell and it gatehring dust in it's case because of the same thing, lack of online players.

Pip'

I read that online players (whomever they may be) just spam constantly so in my case it's likely to be almost the same thing as playing against my niece.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Isn't this the only traditional fighting game ont he Wii U or something like that?

Also Injustice.

I'm not much of a fan of Injustice because the gameplay is rather very limited (the characters tend to play very similar to each other) and this is yet another fighting game that I've not found anyone to play online either.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Those are pretty much the only Wii U fighting games out there. Wii had a handful of games with one exclusive (Tatsunoko vs. Capcom) that's actually good. Fighting games on Nintendo consoles just hasn't been a thing after the SNES. I can't think of a fighting game for the N64 off the top of my head. GameCube had Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO and Soul Calibur II, at least. Point being, PlayStation really shined throughout its first three generations on the market with fighting games. I remember playing the first Guilty Gear on PS1. It's a truly superb gaem. ;) Nintendo's consoles are only good for Smash Bros. and if Sakurai is speaking the truth, we've seen the last of Smash Bros. with the Wii U version, so moving forward anyone interested in fighting games should just look into getting a PlayStation 4.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'll stick to Tatsunoko vs Capcom with the fightstick. :)

Nintendo killing off Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection effectively killed Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, though. It's a very good game. I like the graphics, animation, and style. Tatsunoko characters are obscure enough to make it interesting beyond the typical Ryu and Chun-Li action in every other Capcom fighter, the return of the VS system was brilliant, and it's a hard game to master.

But in the end, what does it matter if I can't play online? Playing fighting games solo becomes stale quickly. Nobody really plays Tatsunoko vs. Capcom at tournaments, either. So exactly who do you play with? :(

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Those are pretty much the only Wii U fighting games out there. Wii had a handful of games with one exclusive (Tatsunoko vs. Capcom) that's actually good. Fighting games on Nintendo consoles just hasn't been a thing after the SNES. I can't think of a fighting game for the N64 off the top of my head. GameCube had Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO and Soul Calibur II, at least. Point being, PlayStation really shined throughout its first three generations on the market with fighting games. I remember playing the first Guilty Gear on PS1. It's a truly superb gaem. ;) Nintendo's consoles are only good for Smash Bros. and if Sakurai is speaking the truth, we've seen the last of Smash Bros. with the Wii U version, so moving forward anyone interested in fighting games should just look into getting a PlayStation 4.

GameCube also had Bloody Roar: Primal Fury (it's like: "Bloody Roar 3: Special Edition") which was one of my favourite fighting franchises from PlayStation 1 but then somehow it died out.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo killing off Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection effectively killed Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, though. It's a very good game. I like the graphics, animation, and style. Tatsunoko characters are obscure enough to make it interesting beyond the typical Ryu and Chun-Li action in every other Capcom fighter, the return of the VS system was brilliant, and it's a hard game to master.

But in the end, what does it matter if I can't play online? Playing fighting games solo becomes stale quickly. Nobody really plays Tatsunoko vs. Capcom at tournaments, either. So exactly who do you play with? :(

I loved playing against a friend, but I loved the online system even more. Remember that it wasn't Nintendo who decided to pull the servers. Gamespy, who operated the servers, went under and Nintendo was forced to close them. Not that I didn't love the online features. There are still some homebrew solutions for alternative servers but I don't think very many people are playing this rare gem, even rarer since its production was cut worldwide IIRC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs