• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Teens promise to fix "climate change" with great idea

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say that I'm so proud of these teens that are refusing to have kids until we fix the issue of climate change. God speed to these brave kids that are willing to sacrifice themselves for a brighter future.

It's great to know that they will not be breeding their ignorance and blind conformity into our next generation and, hopefully, stop the belief in this sham science to leave more room for the much smarter, less gullible humans of the future that we so desperately need now. I hope they stick to this plan for the sake of humanity.

No future, no children: Teens refusing to have kids until there's action on climate change

Source: here

Story Highlights
  • As teens across the globe plan to skip school Friday to protest climate change, one Canadian student is starting another protest.
  • 18-year-old Emma Lim launched a pledge, #NoFutureNoChildren, that teens are signing to spur action on climate change.
A Canadian teen's pledge not to have children until her government takes serious action against climate change is drawing support from young people around the globe.

Emma Lim, 18, launched a climate change movement this week called "#No Future, No Children" that includes a website where other teens can take her pledge.
"I am giving up my chance of having a family because I will only have children if I know I can keep them safe," she says on her website. "It breaks my heart, but I created this pledge because I know I am not alone. ... We’ve read the science, and now we’re pleading with our government."

By Thursday afternoon more than 1,200 kids had signed on.

Jacob Diercks, 18, lives near the North Sea in Meldorf, Germany. He signed onto the pledge, saying that in his lifetime he has seen the North Sea warm considerably. He said farmers there are in trouble due to flooding and summers so hot they burn the fields.
"I see it as irresponsible to bring children into such dangers," he wrote. "Our government is doing too little to protect the climate and thus our region."

In Stockholm, Sweden, 18-year-old Isabelle Axelsson signed on.
"I am taking this pledge because I don’t want to give birth to a child that will feel the same climate anxiety and fear as I do," she wrote. "I don’t want any more children to have to face the consequences of our inaction."

Lim writes that she always imagined herself being a mother someday. She says she loves children so much she has worked as a nanny. But she is concerned about the world she would be bringing her children into.
"I want my children to see all of the beautiful things I see," she says. "I want them to go swimming in the ocean with me. I want to take them camping in the summer and for drives to see the changing leaves in the fall. I want to go sledding with them. I want to teach them how to grow a garden.
"I want my children to be free to chase their dreams, but everything will be more expensive with climate change."

Another teen, Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg, 16, put a youthful face on the global movement last year when she began skipping school on Fridays to stand outside the Swedish parliament holding a sign protesting inaction on climate change. She has been invited to speak around the world.

Lim's pledge comes as tens of thousands of high school students across the United States plan to skip classes Friday to attend Global Climate Strike marches calling for immediate action to end climate change. They will be part of a global protest aimed at the adults who they say are fueling the destruction of the planet.

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy fuck, you're seriously a climate change denier? Are you a flat Earther and anti-vaxxer too?

The education system in this country certainly did you no favors.

Uh, no, I believe in actual science. Not the fake science of some disgraced ex-vice president that couldn't even beat GWB in a presidential election. Next, you'll tell me he was being totally serial and that man-bear-pig is real but nobody believes him.

When 99% of climate scientists say that something is bogus, I tend to believe them over the 1% with an agenda.

I should illustrate my point further. The fact of climate having the tendency to change is real, but man-made climate change that consists of "global warming" and will destroy the planet in 8-12 years is fake as hell. We may have another ice age in a couple hundred million years, but nothing catastrophic until then.

Last edited by morvoran,

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy fuck, you're seriously a climate change denier? Are you a flat Earther and anti-vaxxer too?

The education system in this country certainly did you no favors.
I don't deny climate change at all but I also agree with OP that this is pretty stupid. Protesting and/or refusing to have kids because of climate change is pointless and absurd

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohh, so you've got dyslexia. See you read that backwards, about 97% of climate scientists agree that climate change is real. 3% or less are studies funded by oil companies and others with a vested interest in denying the science.

You missed this - "Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree"

You also forgot the "*".

*Technically, a “consensus” is a general agreement of opinion, but the scientific method steers us away from this to an objective framework. In science, facts or observations are explained by a hypothesis (a statement of a possible explanation for some natural phenomenon), which can then be tested and retested until it is refuted (or disproved).

This is just junk science that some liberal posted as a joke on the NASA website.

Plus I added an edit to my previous reply:
I should illustrate my point further. The fact of climate having the tendency to change is real, but man-made climate change that consists of "global warming" and will destroy the planet in 8-12 years is fake as hell. We may have another ice age in a couple hundred million years, but nothing catastrophic until then.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't deny climate change at all but I also agree with OP that this is pretty stupid. Protesting and/or refusing to have kids because of climate change is pointless and absurd
I agree that it probably isn't the most effective way of forcing politicians to act on climate change, but really there is no effective means of accomplishing that short of a nationwide general strike.

Technically, a “consensus” is a general agreement of opinion, but the scientific method steers us away from this to an objective framework. In science, facts or observations are explained by a hypothesis (a statement of a possible explanation for some natural phenomenon), which can then be tested and retested until it is refuted (or disproved).
Is this seriously the first time you've read a brief explanation on how the scientific method works? Like I said, the education system did you no favors.

This is just junk science that some liberal posted as a joke on the NASA website.
Holy fuck that's the dumbest thing you've ever said, and the bar was already really low.

Last edited by Xzi,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I should illustrate my point further. The fact of climate having the tendency to change is real, but man-made climate change that consists of "global warming" and will destroy the planet in 8-12 years is fake as hell.
Per the link I already provided, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Chemical Society, American Geophysical Union, American Medical Association, American Meteorological Society, American Physical Society, and The Geological Society of America all state that the climate change we're seeing now is largely man-made. Anybody with half a brain is going to believe the consensus of all these institutions over the opinion of one random moron on the internet.

D

Deleted User

I agree that it probably isn't the most effective way of forcing politicians to act on climate change, but really there is no effective means of accomplishing that short of a nationwide general strike.

Is this seriously the first time you've read a brief explanation on how the scientific method works? Like I said, the education system did you no favors.
Oh it's not the education system, at least I don't think it is. At the school I go to it's been talked about a shit ton. Then again, it could be just the education system and I got very lucky.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh it's not the education system, at least I don't think it is. At the school I go to it's been talked about a shit ton. Then again, it could be just the education system and I got very lucky.
It could be that morvoran went to an ass-backwards evangelical Christian school, or perhaps his only education was making moonshine with his redneck dad at home. In any case, I'd have a bit more sympathy and patience if he wasn't making the deliberate decision to stay ignorant on so many topics for life.

3DPiper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohh, so you've got dyslexia. See you read that backwards, about 97% of climate scientists agree that climate change is real. 3% or less are studies funded by oil companies and others with a vested interest in denying the science.

Uh, no..

Check this link please:

http://humansarefree.com/2019/08/historical-climatologist-dr-tim-ball-on.html

Or better yet, listen to Dr. Ball himself in this interview (just happened today!) at 1:28:00:

https://omny.fm/shows/the-glenn-bec...climate-sins-guests-dr-frank-tian-xie?t=88m7s

Last edited by 3DPiper,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Uh, no..

Check this link please:

http://humansarefree.com/2019/08/historical-climatologist-dr-tim-ball-on.html

Or better yet, listen to Dr. Ball himself in this interview (just happened today!) at 1:25:00:

https://omny.fm/shows/the-glenn-bec...limate-sins-guests-dr-frank-tian-xie?t=84m15s
There are nutjobs willing to call anything and everything a conspiracy nowadays, especially if it makes them a quick buck in the process. This website looks like nothing more than politically biased clickbaity garbage, it's not exactly a source on par with NASA's scientific community.

Last edited by Xzi,

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be that morvoran went to an ass-backwards evangelical Christian school, or perhaps his only education was making moonshine with his redneck dad at home. In any case, I'd have a bit more sympathy and patience if he wasn't making the deliberate decision to stay ignorant on so many topics for life.
See there? I try to be nice and let you think you won an argument which causes you to get an inflated head, and ego, causing you to start with the personal attacks. Just like a leftist. Shame!
Good thing somebody came through and slammed your bs for me while I was gone.

Oh, by the way, if we are going to suffer from a catastrophic event in the next 8-12 years and the oceans are going to rise, why did the Obummers just spend millions on beachfront property that, according to these wack-o predictions, will be under water in the next several years? Seems like your ex-leader, who almost single handedly destroyed the US during his term, is a climate change denier also, huh? I wonder if his daughter's are taking this "no kids" pledge as well. God, I hope so.

Oh, and don't get me started on patience. Wow, I can't believe you said that. You sure are sympathetic, just minus the "sym".

Last edited by morvoran,
Reactions: Tri-Z

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See there? I try to be nice and let you think you won an argument which causes you to get an inflated head, and ego, causing you to start with the personal attacks. Just like a leftist. Shame!
Good thing somebody came through and slammed your bs for me while I was gone.

Oh, by the way, if we are going to suffer from a catastrophic event in the next 8-12 years and the oceans are going to rise, why did the Obummers just spend millions on beachfront property that, according to these wack-o predictions, will be under water in the next several years? Seems like your ex-leader, who almost single handedly destroyed the US during his term, is a climate change denier also, huh? I wonder if his daughter's are taking this "no kids" pledge as well. God, I hope so.

Oh, and don't get me started on patience. Wow, I can't believe you said that. You sure are sympathetic, just minus the "sym".
What you're describing is nothing of leftist or rightist. It's a personaly quality you see in them. Nothing to do with politics. Grouping either side in such ways detracts from real discussion about politics,
one person's decisions don't reflect the world's and
in this case wouldn't it be your ex-leader as well?
-edited for grammar

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
See there? I try to be nice and let you think you won an argument
There is no "argument" here, there's the consensus of the worldwide scientific community, and then there's your dumbshit uninformed opinion which you formed while huffing paint and watching Tucker Carlson. The rest of the world does not view climate change as a politically divisive issue. That's exclusively a hill that lead-poisoned American conservatives want to die on. Thankfully most of them are obese geriatrics, so die they shall, sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Xzi,
D

Deleted User

Hey, here's a way to tell if climate change is real. Is the highs and lows where you live and the amount of severe weather been occurring more often and getting worse and worse each year? Then you may have climate change. Or you can just check data if you don't want that, reputable data please.

Last edited by ,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy fuck that's the dumbest thing you've ever said, and the bar was already really low.
I'm glad people are willing to keep up with his nonsense. He is clearly nitpicking information and being willfully ignorant, if not just straight up trolling, to fit a narrative with all these threads he has been making. Idk how you do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s