Teen shoots parents for taking away his Halo 3

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by War, Dec 15, 2008.

Dec 15, 2008
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    [​IMG]

"Prosecutors at the murder trial of 17-year-old Daniel Petric claim that the teen shot both of his parents, killing his mother, because they wouldn't let him play Halo 3.

According to prosectors, Petric, 16 at the time of the shooting, was forbidden to buy Halo 3 by his parents, Mark and Susan Petric. The teen snuck out to purchase the game anyway, and was caught by his parents upon his return. The game was locked up in Mark's lockbox, along with a 9mm handgun.

Mark Petric, a minister at the Life Assembly of God in Wellington, Ohio, testified that soon after on the evening of October 20th, 2007, his son entered the family room with a request.

Lawyers for the accused delivered a brief statement at the opening of the trial, explaining that their client had be under a large amount of stress after being homebound for a year due to a snowboarding accident with nothing to do but watch television and play video games.

I really don't know what to think about this case. The parents were doing what I always suggest parents do, monitoring their son's gameplay and making sure he doesn't play what they don't approve of. Sadly in this case it backfired.

Without knowing more about the family - specifically about Daniel Petric - there's no real way of knowing why this happened. I suspect the boy's lawyers might have a point about being homebound for a year, especially if Daniel was an active teen, as the snowboarding incident seems to suggest.

It's a tragic story that really leaves me with conflicting emotions. On one hand, the fact that a teenager can feel so entitled to something that he'd kill for it worries the hell out of me. At the same time, the fact that the father can forgive him for what he had done is a strong testament to the power of both family and forgiveness. Interpret it how you will. "

Source

2. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    wow, that's pretty intense stuff. not really the fault of Halo 3 though, is it...

3. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Wow that's really sad.

4. Joey R.

Banned Joey R. Banned

Spain
    Just for the record, it's not the game's fault this guy is just messed up beyond any hopes of recovery...

5. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Lock the boy up for life I say. That father shouldn't be so forgiving. The psychopath shot him and his wife over a video game, and a sucky one at that.

6. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    What a spoiled guy, but even after killing his mother, his father doesn't hold any grudge against him...really sad story.

7. DarkSpace

Member DarkSpace Custom member title

United States
    I really feel bad about this. What I think is one of the bad side effects is how politicians will try and use this. (Especially in California)

8. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Im sure you guys wouldn't be so quick to judge if you actually had kids of your own. I'm sure the man was very emotionally torn when this all happened :\

9. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    WTF. First it was taking away an Xbox, now this over a STUPID GAME.

There's a cult going around right now telling teens to shoot relatives for taking away ANY video games. Well...not shoot. But act violently.

I just know it... [​IMG]

But, my God, that is horrible.

10. vhunter

Member vhunter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thats just crazy but sad mostly.

11. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    Might as well lock this now because we all know responses will get out of hand like every other time when murder is blamed on video games.

12. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    I have kids!

Whatever the do, the're my responsibility, even if there old enough.

I don't know what i would do, but deep inside you always have that kid/parent thing we don't fully understand.
    Whatever my kids do, there my kids, part my flesh and blood, i'm there father and i will always love them deep in my heart.

That's prolly what this dad also feels, respect!

On the kids side, no comment on that cause we don't know the full situation of the whole story.
    BUT, grabbing a gun and shoot is never good! Guns are for killing. Blame the weapon industry for that.

13. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    I would tell the judge to lock him up forever if that was my son

14. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    So people are gonna blame this on games again? I hope they look at all the facts that resulted into this.

15. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    He should be put to death.

16. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Hm, people make mistakes, how big they are is nigh on irrelevant when it comes to forgiving (though many people get that wrong). The father did the right thing, even though it was hard, and forgave his son. I think at this point, it's fair to say that games have a much bigger impact on people than we think. I think more research needs to go into the matter.
    As much as I love games, if it could possibly cause this kind of thing, is it worth blindly defending it like a lot of you guys are?

17. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I doubt it. If you read the article, you'll notice the kid never even got to play the game.

18. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Oh another one.

I bet the next one would be "Teen kills parents for smashing his plastic Guitar Hero axe"

I hope my future kid wouldn't be like this...

19. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    WTF??? How can try to kill your own parents over a game???

20. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    The kid shoot his parents because he couldn't play the epic, cheesy, overrated FPS game that will make his mind slowly turn into slush. [​IMG]

You that's so true of what I have typed! Halo 3 is just very overrated BS! Also I don't want the kid to go to jail for life, he needs to be with foster parents for five years.