Question Technical reason for lack of permanence in CFW?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by jetlego, Aug 23, 2018.

1. jetlego
    OP

jetlego Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2017
    United States
    Does anybody know the reason that there is no current way to establish permanence of CFW even with ring 0 (?) access before horizon even boots? I understand that there is currently no software coldboot exploit on any firmware other than 1.0.0 (maybe), and that only <=4.1 will have a software warmboot exploit. However, those are merely discussing entrypoints, and with rcm access, surely it should be possible to create some sort of exploit chain that can enable the exploit to persist between reboots.

For example, while at one point gateway or rxtools exploits needed to be executed every time the 3ds booted up, the NTRBoot bootrom exploit only needs to be executed once in order to permanently install CFW.

Is this impossible for of a technical reason regarding the design of the switch's OS? Or is it simply not a priority for the current developers working on low level CFW/OS
    development?

I understand that an internal modchip can achieve a similar effect, but I would like to know more about the technical challenges, if any, that are present. Additionally, if anyone has links to writeups or presentations on the design on Horizon, I would greatly appreciate them! :)

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    The Switch won't accept anything that isn't signed with Nintendo's personal signing key. And before you ask why it hasn't been cracked yet, this key is 2,048 characters long. Also, what you're referring to installing an exploit not a CFW. On the 3DS, we never achieved permanently installing a CFW. So basically, we never have nor will install CFW permanently but we might be able to discover a more permanent exploit in the distant future. B9S was released several years after the 3DS came out and it has only been a year and a half since the Switch came out. However, don't hold your breath and believe lightning strikes the same place twice.

leda and RHOPKINS13 like this.
  3. jetlego
    OP

jetlego Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2017
    United States
    Thank you very much for your explanation! I have one question though:

Isn't the part on 3ds. guide "Finalizing setup Section VI - CTRNAND Luma3DS" permanently installing Luma3DS to nand as a fallback? I understand that usually the luma3ds boot.firm is loaded from the SD card at boot by B9S.

Last edited by jetlego, Aug 23, 2018
  4. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    b9s exploits vulnerabilities which kick in at loading time of the firmware by the bootrom. As such it can be directly installed and persists. On the Switch nothing like that exists and probably never will.

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    This. Although Luma is being flashed to the NAND, it can't be loaded without an exploit hence why I said:
    Theoretically, we can eventually flash any CFW to the NAND (or eMMC in the case of the Switch) but the console would only boot up if we are using the current bootrom exploit Fusee Gelee which involves more than just an SD card.

ghjfdtg likes this.
  6. LightOffPro

LightOffPro ユキオクン

Jun 10, 2016
    Portugal
    In Papa Rei's closet.
    Attention that in the Switch, just like Luma3DS, we are not integrating a completely new OS.
    Luma3DS patches the existing OFW on every boot, this is why with each new firmware update released by Nintendo you can still update and keep Luma.
    The OFW is never fully replaced. Only patched.
    We are doing the exact same thing with Switch and the OFW Horizon. We are patching the OFW, not fully replacing it.

7. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    We're not installing custom firmware files to the NAND, overwriting the stock firmware files and having the 3DS boot those files like they were official files. We're just using the NAND as a storage location, but the actual hack is installing a permanent exploit. That exploit runs when we boot the 3DS and then the exploit runs the CFW memory patches that patch the official firmware after it's been loaded. On top of that, B9S was only possible due to severe issues in Nintendo's verification of their signature key. This is unlikely to happen again with the Switch. Installing an exploit in Switch's RCM would require us spoofing Nintendo's signature or exploiting the verification, neither of which are very feasible right now.

Last edited by AnalogMan, Aug 23, 2018
  8. badcat

badcat Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2018
    United States
    Is there a better resource to read about the details of how this kind of boot process works? I'm ignorant about boot security but willing to read long boring things for fun.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Looks like you can google "tegra boot flow" to find a doc.

9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Just tossing out there, but you actually can install Luma to your FIRM0. I can make a thread about it if anyone is interested

10. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    Please do, I'm interested.

11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    I shall make a thread either later tonight or tomorrow.

leda and SomeGamer like this.