Team Xecuter reveal info on upcoming Switch modchip

SwitchTX.jpg

Just over a week ago, team Xecuter announced that they are working on a soon-to-be-revealed modchip for the Nintendo Switch. This was big news because modchip devices are usually used to circumvent anti-piracy measures on many digital platforms, but mainly gaming systems, and to see one already in the works for a machine that is only 10 months old is very rare.

Since then the team have been quiet, no one knows what the device will look like, how it will work, or when they can get their hands on one - but GBAtemp can exclusively reveal today that there will be BOTH a solder AND solderless option of team Xecuter's Nintendo Switch modchip.

Here is a direct quote from team Xecuter:

For now, I can tell you there is a solder and solderless version. We have quite a lot in the works, you will have more info soon.

The difference in pricing should be interesting in the two versions of the device, but at least you can now rest safely, knowing that the team will be providing options for whatever the Xecuter Switch modchip turns out to be.

Stay tuned to GBAtemp for more info in the upcoming weeks.

Attachments

• nintendo-switch.jpg
    nintendo-switch.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 180

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Might be missing something important, but rage against "non responsible disclosure" of a "security problem" on a plattform, that stores no personal identifying, or security relevant information at all (credit card and billing address, hopefully arent stored on the Switch), seems very "social justice warrior-y".

Especially, when most of the community was telling each other not to update for about a year right now... And the suggested way forward would still have you run a vulnerable FW for the forseeable future, even after more exploits are released.

Last edited by notimp,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you guy do realize that the team xecuter modchip is just a piracy device, might not have anything to do with cfw, I don't care, but probably some of the reswitched team don't like piracy, reswitched team work toward Homebrew, I guarantee the team xecuter release video will show "backups" loading.

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Might be missing something important, but rage against "non responsible disclosure" of a "security problem" on a plattform, that stores no personal identifying, or security relevant information at all (credit card and billing address, hopefully arent stored on the Switch), seems very "social justice warrior-y".

Nah, I would say not even that. I think it's really just enjoying the power to have something hanging over the heads of others, seeing them jumping, and getting aroused by the attention. Who knows when it will come again :bow::rofl:

I tried to make the point here that holding it back (or disclosing it) for ethical reasons is a bogus explanation to me: https://gbatemp.net/threads/atmosph...opment-by-sciresm.496832/page-23#post-7883729

If anything, any good social and open minded hacker should have an interest in releasing the exploit to circumvent TPM and Hypervisor-like technology and let people use their devices freely. Since the exploit is already "known" anybody who wants to use it to steal, could just buy it or research it privately. This "hostage situation" disclosure, makes little sense under any ethical considerations. It's a "I don't like that people make money from a closed implementation" type situation, which is true, but the alternative is not to play these power games, it's to just release it or let others do their business.

I think it might be a stretch of the word responsible

... Hu? Really the argument makes no sense to me :glare:

So you guy do realize that the team xecuter modchip is just a piracy device, might not have anything to do with cfw, I don't care, but probably some of the reswitched team don't like piracy, reswitched team work toward Homebrew, I guarantee the team xecuter release video will show "backups" loading.

The modchip will inject a custom bootrom into the trust chain. If they are clever, they let you decide yourself what to inject, because why should they want to maintain this? Just more work. Just let others write the software. At that point it's the same as the CFW. Likely even using the same open source code (with some closed source patches).

I think people don't understand that atmosphere will eventually allow extensive real-time patching and code injection. While they may not offer you to run backups out of the box, people will provide modules and patches left and right to add that to the CFW, without even the need to recompile it.

Last edited by Onibi,

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was just playing devil's advocate and saying surely the only responsible disclosure would be to Nintendo themselves.
I think Failoverflow got that money a long time ago ^_^

But yea, I get the joke now :D That I would at least accept as an argument for responsible disclosure.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted User

While that may be true (supporting piracy), they also will allow you to run your own custom CFW. This is what TX's own frontpage says:

This solution will work on ANY Nintendo Switch console regardless of the currently installed firmware, and will be completely future proof. This is *the* solution for opening up CFW (Custom FirmWare) on the Nintendo Switch. We want to move the community forward and provide a persistent, stable and fast method of running your own code and custom firmware patches on Nintendo's latest flagship product. And we think we've succeeded!

Source: http://team-xecuter.com/team-xecuter-coming-to-your-nintendo-switch-console/

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They should amend that to say future proof for non-mariko switches.
They're not actually on the market yet, right? Has Mariko actually been confirmed, or is it still just rumor?

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but team excuters solution, will be marketed towards piracy, which reswitched team probably doesn't like, but as I said I really don't care, just this is why you see some hostility.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've been around here a while and I haven't seen much "homebrew" yet over the years that isn't either also "piracy" or else enabling piracy. Emulators themselves may not technically be piracy, but there isn't much point if you aren't going to run roms. Of course there's also the 'utlities' type homebrew, which mostly is to help you get the most out of the aforementioned emulators. Where is all this noble homebrew on previous systems that the reswitched team aspires to make possible on the Switch? Whether by modchip or exploit/softmod, it is what it is and always has been, and I'm inclined to agree with @json in his post below yours.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We all know what everyone wants cfw for, that's not the point, just that's probably not what the reswitched team are working toward(I'm sure probably this is different between people). Anyway I do expect some interesting switch Homebrew.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Its ambivalent, for sure - but it also depends to what abstraction level you want to rise. :)

The concept of intellectual copyright that "dies when Mickey Mouse dies" (= becomes public domain) is a relatively young one. Well lobbied - but young.

The original intent might even have derived from the notion that an artists work should pay for his families well being, after an unexpected death. If you tell that to one of the 300 factory workers, that makes games nowadays, in an industry whose products often have to achieve 80% of their lifetime sales within' the first two weeks (actuality kills ;) ), he will sneer at you... ;)

Remakes, rereleases and compilations (picked by a marketing team) aside, emulation imho should be considered ethical. In fact "how" the scene operates, is the only logical conclusion for one of the first "media" products that was digital (= zero cost copyable) to begin with. We could argue the time frame until ethical use, but in an age where no 2600 game could ever be considered remotely viable as competition to current age games, even 20 years seems like a stretch. In that timespan four of five companies producing those games probably faltered.. ;)

As far as piracy on current systems is concerned, this lies somewhere in between "large scale organized crime" ("special kind of ethics.." ;) ) and serving a need for a population with a low disposable income. Some of it is market making, some of it is free advertising, some of it was paving the way for the future ("downloadable games").. some of it are outright lost sales. This one is harder to argue.. ;)

The thing is, I'd love to take the high ground here as well, but I owned an Xecuter (now under new management ;) ) chipped Xbox v1 as well, back in the days - and therefore used concepts like "console based emulation" and "open source media centers" maybe 10 years before the rest of the world, so looking at where we currently are (Nintendo eShop Emulation, VF5 and Outrun emulated as part of Yakuza 6, Netflix on every TV), its hard to internalize, that all those concepts where definitely bad - because some people might not have looked too closely who provided them their roms.

You could even go more meta and say, that because of the "copy freely" culture in silicon valley - the productivity of the US economy grew so fast, that they where able to win the cold war, by funneling large sums of the newly generated money into the war economy, forcing russia into an arms race they couldnt win. (Not something I think about every day - but I just watched an ARTE (left wing intelligencia TV network in europe) documentary, that indicated just that. ;) Or that "IP theft" was legally sanctioned by less affluent nations to try to close the technology gap, that was suddenly created, as well as by silicon valley joints, that wanted to get their foot into the door into a developing market (the Google / Oracle lawsuit just went into the next round.. :) ).

Or look at what facebook does. They practically steal your personal data to sell it to their advertising partners...

It all depends on where you draw the lines.. :) (Intentionally unenforcable laws, so "general in private behavior" cant be criminalized, if it doesnt fall above the "criminal law" threshhold, because otherwise our law systems would not be upholdable ("too many cases..").

Ethics start, where morals end.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: brickmii82

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • JefferyCuddletrousers @ JefferyCuddletrousers:
    you named your cat succubus...??
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @K3Nv2 I'm still gagging from yesterday and you start talking weird again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Melons
    @K3Nv2 You told me it was named Satan.
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    @HiradeGirl oh my godddd that shellllll
    You're just triggering people here.
    cant tell whats
    a better name for a cat, satan or succubus
    @HiradeGirl Tried finding shopping links where it's available, but it's only resellers on eBay.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Succubus is always a good name
    I love that pikachu galaxy shell that is so goodddd
    I wish I had a 3DS. But I skipped it altogether because I couldn't afford it. Still played some games using Citra.
    +1
    Its never too late, the OG is I think 70 -80 Used <3!!!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm pretty good at letting things go sadly others arent
    @K3Nv2 It's never a good name.
    oh btw, wondering if you can ask questions here? i made my account to try and comment but the last comment i see on a forum is from 2018 so
    are you talking about an old thread
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can ask but results vary
    yeah its old
    @Sicklyboy is your 3ds red!????? yassssss
    +1
    @JefferyCuddletrousers Ask in the chat, but it's mostly people trolling. Like @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If from 2018 best to make a new thread
    +1
    people usuallyu screech at necro posts but Idk why personally
    pfft alright
    well im superduper new to citrus and im trying to download a hello kitty cooking game (dont judge) but it was a cia file. i did the thing to turn it into cci but citra says you need the game to be a folder to import it. im kinda dumb so maybe im not looking hard enough for answers if anyone can help....
    Be a folder? What's the exact error message?
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Be a folder? What's the exact error message?