Team-Xecuter Presents SX OS v2.3 BETA

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by garyopa, Nov 18, 2018.

1. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Addict

Sep 16, 2008
    Australia
    The installing speed from USB to SD when using emunand on SD is the same as on the nand, at a maximum speed of 28MB/s. USB HDD directly connected to usb c port (single cable) to the Switch.

2. jacopastorius

jacopastorius GBAtemp Regular

Oct 24, 2018
    Italy
    With the implementation of this sd emunand, do you see this protocol as safe?
    I have no emunand at the moment and played nsp and xci so far. So i am gonna do this:

1- Backup game saves
    2- Restore original, clean NAND
    3- Create SD EmuNAND and restore save games into it

lethardicus likes this.
  3. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    That didn't work. I ended up re-making an emunand, that still didn't work. To get emunand to work, I needed to just put my original nand dump in the emunand folder, then emunand worked.

TX - I figure there is a problem with this release with creating a good working nand dump to be used for emunand.
    Reason - created emunand in the emunand folder fails, using a previous nand dump in emunand folder works.

On the bright side - it's a good way to test if a nand dump is working, before you restore a nand dump.

4. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    Sounds like the bottleneck here is USB, then.

THYPLEX likes this.
  5. raphzthename

raphzthename Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2007
    United States
    I started off at 100% battery life and I'm about 63% of the way through creating the SD emunand. I'm worried my battery may day before it finishes since it has taken quite a while. Do we need to keep the dongle in while the full raw nand is being dumped?

6. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Addict

Sep 16, 2008
    Australia
    I tried to install using Y-cable and on the dock usb3.0 port. The result is the same, max 28MB/s. Someone says they can get 40+MB/s but idk how to. I'm using Seagate Expansion 2.5" 1.5TB

7. mattytrog
    This message by mattytrog has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Nov 19, 2018.
    Nov 19, 2018
  8. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    a Y-Cable will not increase transfer rates, on a Y cable only one plug provides data lines. The second plug only provides power to the connected device.

Either way, the eMMC performance (i.e. Sysnand) should generally be higher than 28MB/s so you're experiencing a bottleneck, either the USB connection or the device.

What's more interesting would be loading times. Try installing a NSP to Sysnand and SD-Emunand and you'll see a difference in loading speeds. Depending on the speed of your SD card, loading speeds can differ quite a lot.

thaikhoa likes this.
  9. Mateto

Mateto Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2018
    Italy
    Installing NSPs into emuNAND to keep sysNAND clean.

10. tinkle

tinkle taciturn shill girl

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    They were proven wrong.

DarthDub likes this.
  11. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤\(^o^)/

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    i still don't get it, how this new emunand works?
    is it really doesn't touch the real nand? so if i have 4.1, then installed this emunand then used ChoiDujourNX (which it shouldn't works on sxos?) to update to 6.1
    after all that, if i boot without RCM to OFW i will get 4.1, and if i boot with RCM to emunand i will boot to SXOS 6.1, right?

then if i boot to reinx for example, i will boot to 4.1 also?

12. metal921

metal921 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2018
    United States
    Great release from TSX! My question is what are the benefits of having emunand on SD? Besides emunand being supposedly detectable by Nintendo what’s the point? Isn’t having more microSD space better? Would be great if they implemented the option to choose either. So far this has been best purchase for the switch I have ever made. Was thinking of selling it before homebrew but this made me keep it. I initially thought the switch sucked mainly got it for Smash but that’s for another topic haha thanks SX for your work! Also SX File Manager soon™️?

13. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Not exactly. Lemme explain for a mo'.

Filesystem corruption is, for the most part, an expected thing when using a digital appliance. Corruption happens whenever the appliance in question is interrupted when reading or writing to a file (power cycle, battery death, game crash, you get the idea, its stuff thats relatively common). Most modern OSes minimize the risk of corruption by checking the filesystem on boot (linux and macOS run fsck, windows uses chkdsk on all plugged in drives).

The problem is, because the Nintendo Switch still nowadays is still a... slightly underpowered device (as well as Nintendo being well, Nintendo but credit where credit is due, its better than the 3DS), Nintendo has not build in any filesystem checking into Horizon (Switch' OS), leaving filesystem checking up to the user whenever they plug it in their computer.

Now, we know that TX's emuNAND solution when it was on the sysNAND did nothing but create an image of the NANDs partitions on the USER partition, trim USERs image and mount it.

What has seemingly happened here is that they've done the same for the SD card. They mount the SD cards partition and mount the images on the SD card as the NAND.

The issue here is that because they're using the SD cards filesystem as well as the NAND images themselves for this, which again are stored on the SD card. This means that if the NAND image is ever interrupted from writing/reading, the SD cards filesystem is also corrupted as a result.

Combine that with the fact that they have to constantly read/write to these files, and an interruption is just waiting to happen.

If you were to use the legitimate emuNAND idea, you would mark some portions on the SD card as being reserved for the NAND (empty partitions or in the case of the 3DS, emuNAND was just marked as "free space" on the SD card. Then it's a matter of redirecting all read/writes to this reserved space. You wouldn't be be mounting a partition on the SD or anything.

The difference here is that if you should accidentally corrupt your SDs filesystem (and Nintendo has already such wonky exFAT support that pretty much doing anything w/ exFAT results in SD filesystem corruption), with TXs emuNAND, you basically put your emuNAND at risk every time this occurs. If they actually had made a proper emuNAND (aka what Atmosphere/SciresM is working on), they wouldve done what I just said in the last paragraph. If the SD filesystem corrupts in that case, your emuNAND would (generally*) remain untouched.

*Generally since filesystem corruption is kinda wonky and could occur in a lot of places. I once had my MBR corrupt somehow and had to restore that using testdisk, but these cases are much rarer than the risk that TX is putting things at.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I'm referring to these tweets.

Pretty sure there's nothing wrong in these tweets.

14. Aks

Aks Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2005
    Canada
    You can take the Dongle out and charge, the Dongle is only used to boot into the menu essentially.

THYPLEX and raphzthename like this.
  15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You need to do as explained in the post to keep your data.

16. lufeig

lufeig GBAtemp Regular

Oct 22, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo, Brazil
    i didn't update yet, as i have no reason to do so by now. but without thinking, i would run choidujournx and update it, although i guess there would be no reason to have autorcm on emunand, since I would always have to launch sx os bootloader first, so autorcm would have to be present on real nand.

yes, that is exactly what i did.

and yes, i would use choidujournx if i had to update my emunand's firmware.

17. tinkle

tinkle taciturn shill girl

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    Given how poorly the Switch handles ExFAT I dont know why yall arent using FAT32

18. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Cause I don't want to split games and exFAT works just fine. There is no real problem, unless you use stuff which causes them.

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Nov 19, 2018
    naddel81, isoboy, retrofan_k and 2 others like this.
  19. Ev1l0rd

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    So... using the Switch at all?

Nintendo's exFAT drivers are the epitome of "poorly made", corruption just happens on exFAT by default if you use it on your Switch.

crissal and angelhp like this.
  20. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    I never had problems with exfat. So if you can give me any sources on this.

naddel81, bostonBC and thaikhoa like this.
  21. Ev1l0rd

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Would personal experience count?

I've had my exFAT filesystem corrupt a bunch of times before I gave up and just moved back to FAT32.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted