Team-Xecuter Presents SX INSTALLER v1.0

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by garyopa, Dec 15, 2018.

1. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    At least try it yourself before spreading wrong information. Of course there's no emulator in there. It just forwards the rom to RetroArch, which has to be set up already on your SD.
    Oh, and at least in my case this crashes the console, while loading the Rom in RetroArch itself works fine.

This whole Installer more or less tries to be a complete replacement for the whole Switch UI, an all-in-one solution that can install and run nsp, run xci, run emulator, run homebrew (which I don't really see anyone using for that, tbh - I'd rather use the homebrew launcher which is waaaay less cluttered)

fixingmytoys and Essasetic like this.
  2. j0k3r0815

j0k3r0815 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2018
    Germany
    Cologne, Germany
    Hello @ all,

can pls anyone show me the correct path of all the files, that the installer recognizes, what is what. For example,
    the roms, what are the folder path to get my roms recognized as nes,snes,n64 etc. and where do I have to put
    my nsp´s (updates, DLCs etc.) so that the installer recognizes them as Update or DLC in the specific sideTab. I
    tried to put everything in root already, but can only install them via the fileexplorer when they are stored in root.

3. noreason4

noreason4 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2016
    United States
    Hate to ask it again.. but.. has anyone seen the FTP option? ;)

4. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I'm not a fan of all in one solutions. Because (like you explained) it gets cluttered and you can get lost easily. I prefer everything being split up into different applications (like in the homebrew launcher, switch home menu or SX OS' XCI launcher.)

5. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    ...except the code itself is licensable.

Anything carries an innate copyright.

Nintendo may not make a distinction, but the court of law wouldn't even involve Nintendo if any of this was ever taken to court outside of potentially them going after TXs XCI loader (which has copyrighted code in it from the normal gamecard loader iirc).

Any project I code or work on, wether it be homebrew or otherwise has a license to me if I'm the original creator. I may need to credit other tools if I use them or am legally not allowed to use certain tools, but any of my work on something is licensed to me.

I can legally file a DMCA claim on my work, wether it's homebrew or not if someone else doesn't properly follow the license.

You may have a boatload of experience when it comes to talking with folks, but Geohot posted a root key for the PS3 on his site (source: Wikipedia) which is a different matter than the type of license violations on Homebrew projects which are being discussed here so I don't know why you're bringing this up. RetroArch doesn't contain any copyrighted content on it's own either.

Also, Nintendo is mostly not interested in going after folks unless they do end up doing stupid shit like the category of what Geohot did. Nintendo only goes after people if they're sure they can make a case (which is why they are able to C&D so many fan projects, suing the NSMBWii leaker or DMCAing freeShop (which itself was based on a loophole in that a lot of CIA homebrew at the time had logo.bin that was quickly removed from makerom).

It's true that Nintendo is much fiercer when it comes to protecting their IP, but from what I know, since the time they fucked up with the GameGenie courtcase, they're usually much more reserved in coming after Homebrew products and only act if they're sure they can make a case.

TX is being much more on the "Nintendo has a solid case" list since again, they use Nintendo's code for loading XCIs if I recall correctly and they used a leaked version of DevMenu in an early release of their software.

SaffronXL and ghjfdtg like this.
  6. Volthax

Volthax Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2018
    Netherlands Antilles
    From now on I will do free TX conversions!
    Repeat after me:
    I believe, in the holy holy name, the one that shrines above all others, the holy holy name of GaryOPA!
    Congratulations you're now a Team-Xecuter Fan/Member!

7. blawar

blawar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    They arent using nintendo's code, they are patching nintendo's code. The case against TX would not be nearly as solid as the NSMBWii leaker. That guy posted a receipt of the retailer breaking street which was identifiable right to him, then he posted that he leaked it. That is an open and shut case. Morals of TX aside, what has TX done that violates Nintendo's copyright?

8. shanefromoz

shanefromoz GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 18, 2007
    Australia
    XCI can be loaded from normal tx menu why would you use sxox loader

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If using a portable harx drive and switch dock which location do games go please

9. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/whats-the-challenge-with-the-xci-loader.520247/page-3#post-8324588

Seems they used data from a real gamecard. Minor inaccuracy but doesn't really move away from my point as a whole. Full post quoted down below for the lazy.

10. kidlion

kidlion Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2018
    United States
    Anyone know how to fix this?

Attached Files:

11. Ilie11

Ilie11 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    PLEASE NOTE: (currently .xci launching is only supported in firmware 5.x or below – 6.x support is on it's way!)

i don't get this. I have 6.10 emunand and xci loading works fine. What am i missing here?

12. blawar

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    please explain
    Is your SD full or corrupted?

13. S3phi40T

S3phi40T GBAtemp Regular

Dec 15, 2016
    Poland
    It means you can't punch it from installer on 6.x bit you still can do it regular way.
    They want to give us all-in-one launcher/installer homebrew application that could be used as dashboard.

Wysłane z mojego Redmi Note 4 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Ilie11 likes this.
  14. kidlion

kidlion Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2018
    United States
    Nope, all works loads runs just had a full format and works after it. Has 80+gigs left

15. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    There is no law that will forbid you to write software for a closed platform using non-propritary SDKs. The only thing that can get you in trouble is modding your system/circunventing protection measures depending on the country. In quite a few it's safe. There is no legal ground for suing legit homebrewers in most countries.

The commonly used licenses like GPLv2/3 do hold up in court. You can be sure my friend. Whenever the authors want to invest the time and money to defend their free work is another story.

16. blawar

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    I dont doubt mike, but the legality of what was copied would need to be examined. If the cert is a public cert, its probably A-OK. If the cert / key is obtained through a sys call, its A-OK. Not enough details were posted to reach my own conclusion, but i'll take Mike's word for it as he is very knowledgeable.

17. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

GBAtemp Patron
    VashTS is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    think SX guys are stealing everyones FTP creds? LUL that would be neat

18. McPringles

McPringles Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2018
    United States
    What sort of horsefuckery is this? Your own readme blatantly admits (alongside claiming that you've copyrighted Tinfoil, which is laughable) that there's "small bits of code lifted" from hactool.

Additionally, even if there's no 1:1 copy/pastes of Tinfoil code (which, again, I doubt), it's still plagiarism to study a method and rewrite it the same way in different terms. Given that you were studying it closely enough that you were pushing code for it last week, I wouldn't be surprised if the bug you fixed still exists in at least some versions of DZ.

Either way, DZ (and by extension, SX Installer) is a walking license violation regardless. The MIT license doesn't allow you to redistribute, in any form, the JSON libraries you're using without including a copy of the MIT license and copyright attribution, even if your code itself isn't MIT licensed. Simply linking back to the original repository isn't sufficient, and the SX release doesn't even bother to do that much.

Last edited by McPringles, Dec 17, 2018
  19. andyhappypants

andyhappypants Pika!

Jul 27, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hoenn
    That would be an awesome feature if they could implement that!

Then watch google account signups go through the roof :)

20. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2007
    Plagiarism in coding to stand in court must be 1:1, also people that care about gpl and stuff like that should post on their own thread where they can pat their backs and be happy because the people interested in the installer and the updates dont really care at all about that

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gpl-101-atmosphere-and-sx-os.511312/

I will probably do not use very much your installer, but its amazing, do not worry about the people that say otherwise, the sx os users apreciate your work

Last edited by kamesenin888, Dec 17, 2018
    thaikhoa likes this.