Team Xecuter - Legal Scholar Take, SX Modchip Leak, JoyCon Drift Lawsuit, PS5 Teardown - Tempcast #8

podcast_art_banner_smol-png.222446

In this week's episode we start where we left off last time, with resident legal expert Ericzander chiming in giving us his opinion on the recent arrests of Team Xecuter members. Along with the indictment, Team Xecuter was hit by another loss, with their proprietary SX Modchip firmware being leaked. We also discuss the recent statement by Nintendo concerning Joy-Con drift, claiming it ‘isn’t a real problem or hasn’t caused anyone any inconvenience’. And finally, we give our reactions to the official PS5 teardown.

Theme by VinsCool and AlanJohn​

Also available on:
:arrow: Spotify
:arrow: Apple Podcasts
:arrow: Google Podcasts
:arrow: Breaker
:arrow: RadioPublic
:arrow: PocketCasts
:arrow: Anchor.fm
:arrow: Overcast

Last edited by AlanJohn,

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
why can the mp3 link not be directly posted? board rules?
There are a lot of different reasons why it can't be posted right now, however we are actively seeking a way to offer access to the audio file in the future.

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Team sxos will continue to provide updates. They are bigger then you think and Gary is smarter then you all think.
Atmosphere will be next as it also allows priacy.
Eric claims he is a lawyer but yet mentions nothing about running backups
Reports are only 15% of sxos chip was dumped not the full amount

Last edited by shanefromoz,
Reactions: slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Team sxos will continue to provide updates. They are bigger then you think and Gary is smarter then you all think.
I really hope so. I’m looking to switch to atmosphere right now. I really like what mission control has to offer. So this may push me to atmosphere now, but everything on my switch is working well......so I’m just reading for now.

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I really hope so. I’m looking to switch to atmosphere right now. I really like what mission control has to offer. So this may push me to atmosphere now, but everything on my switch is working well......so I’m just reading for now.
Why dont you make your switch dual boot. I can enter sxos. Go to homebrew menu and select payload launcher and select atmos and switch between the 2

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I specifically mentioned several times in this episode that I'm not a lawyer. I graduated law school and took the bar exam, but I'm awaiting results.

I will say that the fact that you can run backups using SX in addition to pirating isn't a great defense. It wasn't even worth mentioning (in my non-attorney opinion). And of those 11 felonies, not all are even related to piracy (like conspiracy to commit money laundering which I did mention.)

And I will admit that I declined to speculate as to whether this means Atmosphere is next because (I) I don't know and (II) I specifically didn't want people to take my opinion as fact. I also mentioned that I'm not following this situation as closely as others on the site (I don't own a Switch).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as I mentioned in another thread, I think the likelihood that they'll see jail time is small mostly due to the pandemic. if a crime is committed, police are only supposed to arrest violent criminals; others may be picked up at a later date via a warrant. my guess is that they'll probably have some sort of plea deal not to try to sell another device that circumvents protection at least on nintendo products, just like what geohot got with the ps3. it's not like nintendo would ever see any of that money. I mean if you don't have it, you don't have it. it's not going to magically appear in your bank account.

Reactions: AlanJohn

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
I a so glad that Team Xecuter are going to jail. They will make fine little bitches in one of USA's federal prison !
Pip'

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

as I mentioned in another thread, I think the likelihood that they'll see jail time is small mostly due to the pandemic. if a crime is committed, police are only supposed to arrest violent criminals; others may be picked up at a later date via a warrant. my guess is that they'll probably have some sort of plea deal not to try to sell another device that circumvents protection at least on nintendo products, just like what geohot got with the ps3. it's not like nintendo would ever see any of that money. I mean if you don't have it, you don't have it. it's not going to magically appear in your bank account.
Not a chance, those guys have 15 charges against them and one of them is money laundering for criminal and terrorist group, they will never get away with that in the USA.

Pip'

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it doesn't matter to me either way, but it's highly unlikely they'd be put into a prison with murderers and rapists. they're more likely to be around people convicted of things like tax fraud. if they were to go to prison, it would probably be a minimum security facility where it's more like a vacation. you know there was a story about a guy who went to prison for robbing a bank of one dollar. the reason - to get free health care. prisoners have it; the public does not. how's that for irony?

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
money laundering for criminal and terrorist group

WHAT? This is a serious accusation do you have any basis for it?
I agree they should be arrested but they're not real criminals. They invented a device to bypass security check for a children game console. Nothing more.

Edit : Ok thanks @Ericzander I was ignorant of the facts.

Last edited by depaul,
Reactions: Ericzander

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
WHAT? This is a serious accusation do you have any basis for it?
I agree they should be arrested but they're not real criminals. They invented a device to bypass security check for a children game console. Nothing more.
"Each defendant is charged with 11 felony counts, including conspiracy to commit wire fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy to circumvent technological measures and to traffic in circumvention devices, trafficking in circumvention devices, and conspiracy to commit money laundering."

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/two-members-notorious-videogame-piracy-group-team-xecuter-custody

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
speaking of which I bought langrisser 1 and 2 for the switch last night, but I have it pirated on the psx classic. :D it was one of the troublesome games. since it uses a & in the label, you have to use an underscore in lieu of it for the artwork. everything else must remain the same. I gotta tell you I learned so much about the classic last night, haven't even slept since then. starting to get sleepy now.

on topic, I usually don't post my opinions of things that are liable to make me or another person angry, so I'm not even sure why I posted. I guess I felt compelled. I do know that people are arrested far less now due to the pandemic. they don't want someone with covid to infect the jail. I mean what are they supposed to do if you actually do have it? I'm sure that's something they'd have done even before processing. my dad has surgery to remove a cancerous kidney on Tuesday. he had to get covid tested yesterday. I'm not really sure what you'd do if you had it, and you had to have surgery.

Reactions: depaul

pofehof

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Atmosphere doesn't allow piracy out of the box like SX OS does. This is like saying Nintendo will go after Microsoft for allowing piracy on computers.

A clear reason for the SX OS takedown was due to money laundering and piracy, so it's unlikely Nintendo will go after Atmosphere.

Last edited by pofehof,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
There are a lot of different reasons why it can't be posted right now, however we are actively seeking a way to offer access to the audio file in the future.
I have nothing to do with radios/podcast stuff, so honestly I can't guess what the reasons may be.
so, what are some of the reasons?
I guess it's not a technical one, but not against the rules since otherwise you'd have said I guess?

if someone wants to download the mp3 file to play offline, just go to (for example) the overcast link in the op, click on 'rss feed', open that up (might have to download and open in a text editor, and you'll see the links to the mp3 files there.

anyway, this should be cool to listen to, thanks!

Last edited by cearp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.