Team-Xecuter coming to Nintendo Switch!

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by SwitchNOW, Jan 2, 2018.

1. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    This is a tightly packed tablet-formfactor with a huge battery. I don't expect any form of modding on this thing to be "easy", this isn't a comparatively enormous 360.

If it requires soldering, or if the piece is fairly large to run the necessary glitcher, then there's also genuine risks on the battery and other parts of the hardware from leaks and proximity heating. The backplate of the Switch may be a complete non-starter for the item to even fit, and running bare hardware is generally not ideal.

The Switch has a very large, very happy to catch fire battery.

2. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    with all that bein said...... i personally think its gonna be a cartrigde with a sd slot........

3. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    They're taking over the bootloader, how would they accomplish this with a cart?

Alex1234 likes this.
  4. jammybudga777

Aug 23, 2013
    touche...... i didnt realise it was the bootloader they got

5. Soluble

Soluble GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 12, 2017
    I'm not seeing it being a flashcart (they're claiming future proof which would/should make it a serious hardware flaw

6. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Well, the switch hardware was finalized before ntrboot/b9s was revealed/released, so maybe Ninty put a similar cart-based backdoor into the switch?

Not saying they did that or anything, and I do think it's more likely xecuter went with some sort of internal solution. Time will tell.

peteruk likes this.
  7. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    No other way to really believe their claim. Cart reading is long, long after the boot and security would be locked down and patchable. They've glitched the hardware very much along the lines of what plutoo and derreck showed.

The question then becomes what is their 'solution' but, in general, for something this small then you can bet your bottom dollar that any modding will be difficult and impractical...

...But when there's money to be made, you can sell anything, really. Regardless of how impractical or unwieldy it may be to the end user.

Considering who came up with that solution, don't you think we'd have heard about it by now? Or that he wouldn't have tested? Or that we wouldn't have found out about something as simple a cart-backdoor?

(Also the magnet is completely non-applicable, very different hardware.)

Last edited by V-Temp, Jan 3, 2018
    Alex1234, peteruk and jammybudga777 like this.
  8. Soluble

Soluble GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 12, 2017
    Custom switch case incoming. Made of high quality plastics that fit perfectly ;)

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  9. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    At some point, people are going to be spending 200$+ on top of their hardware to get this working, lol. :P

And then Nintendo can still unilaterally ban them. :ha:

10. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    If it works out that way, then that's not a bad thing. Gateway was exceptional when it came out and worked well for what it needed to do. By the time software based free alternatives came out, enough time had passed to make the money worth it while nothing else existed.

I mean, it'll seem archaic in time, but think of it as a product you get for the time, especially when no alternatives are there yet. It's the same sort of reason people will pay full price for games to be the first batch of people to play them, instead of waiting until they discount.

11. SimonMKWii

SimonMKWii GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 18, 2017
    Australia
    Melbourne, Victoria
    This is my theory:

Since they somehow got a hold of the decryption key for the Stage 2 bootloader, they likely edited its code to fool the system into launching a modified version of the kernel.

In this modified kernel, they probably replaced the Nintendo logo image file with an image file of the "XECUTER" logo, which explains what was shown in the video.

But then again, it's just a theory. A̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶o̶r̶y̶!̶!̶!̶

12. jammybudga777

Aug 23, 2013
    i think the closest i came to hard modding was buying an e3 flasher lol!!! and now we have a softmod downgrade!! also whats it gonna be worth hardmodding the switch....... barely any games on it or even due to come out tbh. and its soundin to expensive for a portable multi emulator

Soluble likes this.
  13. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master waiting for Deja Vu

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    You know, unless you can't buy things online

Jonna likes this.
  14. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    What was important about Gateway is that it forced the people who refused to release exploits to release them. (And even then it took a while.)

yardie likes this.
  15. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    this the best development that could happen , now if there are any devs who are anti "piracy" moralfags they will be hit with a dilemma ,
    enable free "piracy" or let some other team profit form it
    it is a win win situation here
    if it is at all technically possible a free COMPLETE solution will leak quickly , remember the TB dongle ,or the original ps3 JB dongle for that matter

of course it could be an xbox360 type situation where hardware is mandatory like RGH or drive boards or ODE

maybe it is a dual boot solution like they did with the 360 , RGH on nand and undetectable normal boot on another

no solder or minimal solder and a passthrough that easily plugs between the switch MB and the Emmc daughter board

16. KanterZ

KanterZ YouTuber, Modder. I also do SOFTMOD Services

Oct 9, 2015
    Philippines
    LET'S GO MELEE HD yolo

17. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Oh yes, that's true.

18. Tapri

Tapri Forum Lurker

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    I'm fairly positive that there's a storage expansion slot on the switch, possible that the hardmod works for that?

19. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    Maybe to seat it, but in general that's not going to be where you're going to be wiring to cause a glitch to seize the bootloader/cause it to get confused and run an unsigned injection.

But, again, we know nothing about this solution. What we know is how derrek outlined doing this in 34c3 and that this follows that (so it could be the same technique) in our sequence of events called history.

This was a marketing stunt done by a marketing guy who does marketing from warez groups.

Last edited by V-Temp, Jan 3, 2018
  20. SoslanVanWieren

SoslanVanWieren Banned

Banned
    Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    if it doen't require soldering it won't be a problem we don't know if its a mod chip or or thing that plugs into the usb c port.