1. aadz93

aadz93 GBAtemp Official Psychonaut

Korea, North
    best crt tv hands down will give any pvm a run for their spec, these types of crts were not produced within the usa, this was bought from ramstein in germany in the late 80/Early90s, have not found another, you dunno how long I've been looking
    post-30967-0-10320200-1524689417_thumb.jpg post-30967-0-83438700-1524689591_thumb.jpg

Last edited by aadz93, Feb 24, 2021
    Azerus_Kun likes this.
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Believe me I am still kicking myself for not buying up the mountain of 40+ inch widescreen CRTs with multiple component+composite+scart+RF inputs from charity shops when everybody decided the first gen of LCD* flatscreens were in and they were flooded with them and letting them go for "we want the floor space back" prices.

*plasma was always niche, at least until it to got silly cheap and several shops wanted to liquidate their stock.

aadz93 likes this.
  3. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

United States
    That's a shame, I was really hoping for component/RGB support. I still don't get why the digital signal can't be converted into anything else besides composite, unless the digital signal already contains a merged chroma/luma. Once the project is finalized we'll hopefully be able to see a write-up of how it all works

4. aadz93

Korea, North
    I would assume the hardware is a dac (digital to analog converter) the soc probably has some extra hardware which would allow composite to be generated in software, probably some bit banging, the dac simply takes the digital (composite) and converts it to an analog signal that a tv decoder can understand, you can use bunch of resistors, however using a dac chip provides the best quality output wise, since it's buffered and cleaned a bit before heading out

If you can generate composite, you should also be able to do svideo

Last edited by aadz93, Feb 24, 2021
    Orangy57 and zfreeman like this.
  5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Looks like an older model.
    The WIi still looks just as low res with composite. There's just noise added on top of all that like an overlay.
    That seems to be the way to go anyway, especially now that you have affordable upscalers like RetroTink. Better quality and lower latency :)

godreborn likes this.
  6. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I like @aadz93 , but I think it's just not the reality of things especially now. most things don't come with anything but hdmi out now like the nvidia shield, my dvr, etc.

aadz93 likes this.
  7. aadz93

Korea, North
    I can go to my Walmart right now and get an lcd hdtv that has rf and composite, under $150

And there's always buying them online instead

Plus both 4k (smart) tvs are less than 5 years old, one is 42inch the other 60 iirc

Last edited by aadz93, Feb 27, 2021
  8. stranno

stranno GBAtemp Fan

Spain

Nitehack has shown a video of the capture card through a 3€ composite2hdmi upscaler and 10€ USB 2.0 capture card.

He has confirmed as well that the screen/modes are a SOC's hardcoded feature. So the modes shown in the previous tweet are the only available, and TV output was definitely a thing back in the day.

aadz93 likes this.
  9. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Sega used VGA on dreamcast in 1999

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

do you guys have anything thats not wallmart, ebay, mc donalds? i mean do you have something that local people like you and me own, like small stores to buy tech and burgers?

I mean im curious, cause i always her wallmart, mc donalds, ebay and other BIG chains but never "local electronic store" or something...

aadz93 likes this.
  10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    For the most part no, not really. I have been going there (various states though mostly western) on and off since the 80s and usually staying for months at a time. The rise of malls more or less killed off the main street thing that other places in the world kept along with until somewhat recently, and catalogue shopping prior to that was none too kind to them either (though it is a model that makes sense there with everything being spread out and prior to phones and internet then hard to reach as well), now internet came for both of them and the big shops (walmart = asda, literally actually as they own asda these days, but with more non food items). Similarly the rise of suburbia where nothing so gauche as a shop ought to be seen in such a place (pick a place with a reasonable population on maps and see how far shops might actually be) means you are travelling and at that point the malls/retail parks have you.
    Non chain/franchise restaurants do exist but where chains are usually the exception in Europe then not so much in the US, though it is changing slowly (much to the chagrin of the chains -- see "millennials are killing chain restaurants").

You get thrift shops (think charity shops but they were doing ebay prices decades back) even if a lot of those are chains. Local shops do exist though they are usually service based (insurance, real estate, legal, finance, dentistry, vets... you know the game), speciality (import food and the like), vanity (rich guy funds his wife's fancy clothes/books/bakery/antiques type deal so that it at least does not lose too much money) and maybe local repair shop that has a few things that customers did not pick up or they took as part exchange.

It is quite odd to go shopping in such places, though it does mean you get skip the chains after you do them once or twice and seek other things.

MetoMeto and aadz93 like this.
  11. aadz93

Korea, North
  12. stranno

stranno GBAtemp Fan

Spain

banjo2 likes this.
  13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Hmm. Do I have to polish off the toothpick covered in tin foil?

14. stranno

stranno GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Last edited by stranno, Mar 8, 2021
  15. stranno

stranno GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    There will be an stream Saturday 13 22:00 GTM.

And they will finally produce the board.

Last edited by stranno, Mar 10, 2021
  16. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    aadz93 likes this.
  17. stranno

stranno GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Azerus_Kun and banjo2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - restores, leftover, feature