Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some things I'd like to say.

1. It wasn't just the god awful story story that killed the game, it was the overall gameplay & level design that truly ruined the game. Fusion had a shit story but it played great and for me is the 2nd best 2D Metroid.
2. It felt like a C grade game, it played like something you'd get in the bargain bin for £5.99.
3. Production values were of a low quality, it didn't feel like something Nintendo had anything to do with at all.
4. No fucking way is this game remotely better than any of the Prime games, even Hunters was better than this...even the Pinball game was better than this.
5. This game only looks like a PS3/360 game if A. you've only played budget releases on those platforms. B. You've only played games that were also ported to PC but your PC can only play them on low settings. C Your eyesight is piss poor. I wouldn't even say it looked good as a PS2 game, take a look at Ico, SotC or GoW and you'll see how bland it still looks compared to those games.

As for "true 3d version of Metroid"...nope not at all. Metroid is about a hunter being isolated in a world, this didn't have that. Prime did, Prime IS the perfect 3D replication of Metroid. Everything about the game is Metroid from sound, gameplay, puzzles. bosses everything. People just say it's not Metroid because of the perspective but Retro & Nintendo tested the hell out of it and it was that perspective that they felt could work for the series and they were right.

You really would not believe how much I tried to like Other M but it's a trashy game through and through. At best you could say it's mediocre and that's if you're someone who hasn't had much gaming experience.

Reactions: 3 people

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
As for "true 3d version of Metroid"...nope not at all. Metroid is about a hunter being isolated in a world, this didn't have that. Prime did, Prime IS the perfect 3D replication of Metroid. Everything about the game is Metroid from sound, gameplay, puzzles. bosses everything. People just say it's not Metroid because of the perspective but Retro & Nintendo tested the hell out of it and it was that perspective that they felt could work for the series and they were right.
So for you, what makes a game "Metroid" is the theme? See, that's not what makes a game Metroid to me. For me, it's mostly about the gameplay.

The concept for Prime was correct – a lone warrior infiltrating a planetary maze and finding upgrades and defeating enemies and bosses. But it still didn't have the right feel to me. There was lots of sunshine and birds in the sky and it just didn't feel dark or creepy or dramatic a lot of the time. The flora and fauna were too much; the planet felt too alive and busy. It didn't feel desolate.

The first-person perspective didn't hurt the theme in Prime. But that did lead to the game's biggest problem – the limited gameplay. For me, Metroid has always been about fast and fluid acrobatic gameplay with lots of platforming (vertical as much as horizontal), and you just can't do that very well in first-person view. The gameplay in Prime felt very slow and clunky compared to the 2D games. Platforming was a chore; jumping was imprecise and you didn't ever feel nimble or acrobatic. It felt like playing a walking tank – slow, lumbering and heavy on the firepower. It didn't feel like you were playing as someone with the type of amazing acrobatic abilities Samus had in the 2D games. You just couldn't move through areas with the same speed and grace. That's what ruined it for me – it just didn't feel like I was controlling Samus Aran.

Some of my fondest gaming memories are of playing Super Metroid, doing crazy flips and wall jumps and mid-air morph ball maneuvers, all while handily dispatching enemies at the same time. I loved making Samus look like she was supposed to be – the best there is. She was like a superhuman ninja; quick, nimble, able to dash and flip and rebound off walls at high speed, and be blasting enemies all the while. Even the Smash Bros games supported this idea of a very quick and dexterous Samus. Then Other M comes along with this same type of speedy and nimble Samus. Sign me up!

We all have different reasons for liking Metroid games, and the things I liked most about the 2D games were all present in Other M. The gameplay was solid; it may have suffered a bit from only four-directional control, but it was fast, fluid and very precise. I could move through the platforming areas with ease, wall jump and grapple on the fly, and dispatch enemies with speed and skill that makes Samus look like she's the only one in the galaxy who could. Other M played well and felt good. That's what makes it a great Metroid game for me. Maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it.

I wish I liked the Prime games, but I didn't. That's my loss. But my gain is Other M, and hopefully more Team Ninja Metroid games in the future.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna know how many of the Other M haters have actually played Other M, and how many are just hating on it because the godly G4 and Game Informer gave it bad scores.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna know how many of the Other M haters have actually played Other M, and how many are just hating on it because the godly G4 and Game Informer gave it bad scores.
Anyone with common sense would play a game regardless of reviews. This is a series where if someone gave a game in it a bad review, they would just ignore it.

Reactions: 4 people

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
2. It felt like a C grade game, it played like something you'd get in the bargain bin for £5.99.
3. Production values were of a low quality, it didn't feel like something Nintendo had anything to do with at all.
Haven`t heard an boundless exaggeration like this in a long time. And in that case we definitely are talking about objective matters...

Also I don`t see why people who like OM "hate" on Prime and vise versa. I think in their own fashion both games felt like Super. But Prime had a better over all structure imo.

I love Prime (probably in my Top10 games of all time - no definitely) but people get so worked up about OM that I kinda feel they didn`t get the mechanics of the game, which were very thought out imo. Quality wise to come back to the statement I just quoted OM definitely is among the Top3 Wii-games!!! I cannot see how anyone would deny that, despite the probability of not liking the gameplay and mechanics!

P

pasc

Lololol I was thinking: DONT HAVE THIS SENTENCE CONTAIN METROID !!!
and look what it came to xD

Man... we need a good Metroid again, preferably a MPH on 3DS :)

+ a remake of all metroids

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm also one of those who enjoyed Other M.
Sure I've been playing every metroid game to date ( I actually played the Nes Metroid in 1986 when it was brand new , I'm old ! ) and even though team ninja tried to do something different ( innovation ? ) they did stay true to the game fundamentals and and all in all I really liked the experience, so much in fact that all this talking about other M makes me want to play it trough one more time, which is something I very rarely do ! ( I might skip trough the cut scenes though ;) ).
So I'd say let's give team ninja another chance, they had something good going on, and if they refine the game elements a little bit more, we could actually have a winner on the Wii U.

Reactions: 1 person

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have the prime trillogy and I realy love those games, the original 2d style is ok aswell.
The only thing I hated with Other M (don't have it, yet) is that they changed something big to the plot, you had all you upgrades, but you weren't allowed to use them?!?!?!
Otherwise it looked realy good.

I think a cooperation of Team Ninja and Retro Studio's could make one hell of a killer (and I also want one on the 3DS ) : p )

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love Prime (probably in my Top10 games of all time - no definitely) but people get so worked up about OM that I kinda feel they didn`t get the mechanics of the game, which were very thought out imo. Quality wise to come back to the statement I just quoted OM definitely is among the Top3 Wii-games!!! I cannot see how anyone would deny that, despite the probability of not liking the gameplay and mechanics!

Mechanics aside it was a horrible plot that ruined a great character. A bad plot can be passable if it isn't a focus. Here they shoved hours of cutscenes in your face.

Also a lot of the mechanics were horrible. Combat was a joke, all you had to do was mash the D-Pad and fire button and you dodged all the attacks and kept firing at them. Switching to the first person by twirling the remote to face the screen completely breaks the flow of combat and feels cumbersome. Using a D-Pad to navigate a 3D environment is a horrible decision when an analog stick (the nunchuck) is readily available. First person segments were tedious and boring.

It was easily the worst Metroid game.

EDIT: And quality wise, I wouldn't say it makes the top three for Wii games. There's plenty of things that looked better and quality extends past graphics and cutscenes. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories gets up there pretty high if we're talking purely graphics. Not to mention Super Mario Galaxy, its sequel, even some other things like Red Steel 2. The game just felt overly glossy and shiny. Very "plastic".

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Mechanics aside it was a horrible plot that ruined a great character. A bad plot can be passable if it isn't a focus. Here they shoved hours of cutscenes in your face.

Also a lot of the mechanics were horrible. Combat was a joke, all you had to do was mash the D-Pad and fire button and you dodged all the attacks and kept firing at them. Switching to the first person by twirling the remote to face the screen completely breaks the flow of combat and feels cumbersome. Using a D-Pad to navigate a 3D environment is a horrible decision when an analog stick (the nunchuck) is readily available. First person segments were tedious and boring.

It was easily the worst Metroid game.
question, why is the d pad bad for controlling it? Also, if they would have made the nunchuck an option people would accidentally point their wiimote at the screen and make it go first person. and the first person doesn't break the flow of combat, i think of it as switching to first person in super mario sunshine and the 3d zelda games. do you hate those too? does switching to first person (or over the shoulder in sunshine, basically the same) in those games break the flow of combat?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
question, why is the d pad bad for controlling it? Also, if they would have made the nunchuck an option people would accidentally point their wiimote at the screen and make it go first person. and the first person doesn't break the flow of combat, i think of it as switching to first person in super mario sunshine and the 3d zelda games. do you hate those too? does switching to first person (or over the shoulder in sunshine, basically the same) in those games break the flow of combat?

The D-Pad doesn't flow smoothly in a 3D environment, that's a fact. Anyone whose tried playing Super Mario 64 DS vs. Super Mario 64 (on the N64) can tell you this. It's a fact.

They would toggle going into first person mode as a button. Like you hold Z to go into the first person mode. Also the first person in Zelda games is horrible as it is in Super Mario Sunshine.

The difference in those games as well as is that combat isn't made to be good or even a focus. Here, it's made by fucking Team Ninja, who are known for combat systems (or at least making them look good). So it doesn't break the flow of combat in games where combat isn't an issue but it does here. And it doesn't help any of them for being terrible when there are much better options. Aiming in Twilight Princess was infinitely better than any other Zelda game and Super Mario Sunshine's FLUUD was a dumb mechanic anyway. I also hate Sunshine.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The D-Pad doesn't flow smoothly in a 3D environment, that's a fact. Anyone whose tried playing Super Mario 64 DS vs. Super Mario 64 (on the N64) can tell you this. It's a fact.

They would toggle going into first person mode as a button. Like you hold Z to go into the first person mode. Also the first person in Zelda games is horrible as it is in Super Mario Sunshine.

The difference in those games as well as is that combat isn't made to be good or even a focus. Here, it's made by fucking Team Ninja, who are known for combat systems (or at least making them look good). So it doesn't break the flow of combat in games where combat isn't an issue but it does here. And it doesn't help any of them for being terrible when there are much better options. Aiming in Twilight Princess was infinitely better than any other Zelda game and Super Mario Sunshine's FLUUD was a dumb mechanic anyway. I also hate Sunshine.
You're a real negative nancy. You should cheer up sometime. It's good for you.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're a real negative nancy. You should cheer up sometime. It's good for you.

I'm a realist. I'd rather acknowledge a bad game than blindly ignore all the bad aspects for the sake of not being a "negative Nancy".
But you're wrong. It's not a bad game. And Super Mario 64 DS's controls sucked because that game relies on the analog controls for controlling Mario's speed. For tricky platforming. So you don't fall into the lava and die. But you don't need that in M:OM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/