Team Cyclops decides $35 for CDSE too cheap, won't supply

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by FierceDeityLink1, Jul 16, 2008.

1. FierceDeityLink1
    OP

Newcomer FierceDeityLink1 Advanced Member

Deal Extreme had offered the CycloDS Evolution for $35 at the beginning of this month (July). It was not set to be in stock until 7/12/08.

On the CycloDS forums, many wondered whether DX had an authentic CycloDS since it was so cheap. Team Cyclops would neither confirm nor deny the existence of Deal Extreme as an authorized reseller.

When the order was expected to ship, I received this email:
    I would normally be fine with this if it wouldn't have taken 10 days between ordering and this letter. Team Cyclops has yet to comment on the issue.

Read more: CycloDS $36 SHIPPED AT DX.
    Deal Extreme's official statement on their forum

2. Trippy

Member Trippy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Interesting. I never bought a cyclods or from dx but I don't get it, doesn't team cyclops get the same amount per sale of a cyclods or is it by percentage of price?

3. FierceDeityLink1
    OP

From what I understand, Deal Extreme sells most of their products on very small margins. Team Cyclops probably wanted more for the units they ordered, and even if the CDSE cost DX $35, they probably would have still sold them. Team Cyclops is holding the stock and demanding it to be sold at $50.

4. beedog19

Member beedog19 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wow, that's crappy. DX should be able to sell for whatever price they see fit. Does it really hurt Team Cyclops at all if it sells for cheaper at one place? They get their money up front and with such aggressive pricing I'm sure that they would have moved through a lot of product working with DX. Oh well, their loss, I won't be getting anything from them anytime soon.

5. Foie

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    It's such a shame that team Cyclops has to be such a bitch about this. Seriously. The amount of CycloDS sales would skyrocket at the price of $36, so they would have made much more profit. I don't really understand their logic... I guess other CycloDS vendors would lose sales, but it wouldn't hurt the Cyclops team...

And I was hoping that I might be able to get one of these. But now there's no way I'll buy one.

6. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Wow. I would've bought some instantly if they didn't have that debate over the prices.. I still want a CycloDS. I don't get my paycheck until the end of August though. [​IMG]

7. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Again, not jumping on the cloner Cyclo's bandwagon has proven fruitful for myself. They impacted someone else's business with their first product being a shoddy clone that tried to undercut competitors price while still relying on that competitor to provide the innovation and updates for their product - now they want to dictate and go back on deals because it might impact their main distributor/reseller. I only know of one currently somewhat successful "company" that would follow this type of logic, and they have a history of abandoning their customers/users in the face of $bottom$line$.

Seriously, some DSE fanatics really should take their heads out of the sand - it's currently the most "touted" product (as once R4 was) - but take a serious look at the tactics these people used to establish themselves and realize - once upon a time it was bad to buy tuna because it hurt dolphins (aka: they just want $$.)

8. MagNetCZ

Member MagNetCZ GBAtemp Fan

Czech Republic
    Well maybe they just didn't want to hurt other shops [​IMG]

9. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Isn't this a form of price fixing? Isn't that an illegal anti-competitive practice?

The other shops are hurting consumers by charging ridiculously marked up prices. [​IMG]

10. FierceDeityLink1
    OP

An official reply passing the buck back to Deal Extreme:
    "Reseller Issues"