Target Trots Out $3 Appliances on Black Friday

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by .Chris, Nov 12, 2010.

Nov 12, 2010
  1. .Chris
    OP

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    Here's a sampling of what Black Friday shoppers at Target stores could score this year: $3 appliances, deep deals on HDTVs and 50% off on clothes and toys, according to a website that says it has received a leaked copy of the retailer's circular.

Brad Olson, founder of Gottadeal.com, a site that markets itself as one of many "official" Black Friday deal sites, said Wednesday that he received a copy of the discount retailer's ad.

Target spokeswoman Jessica Carlson declined to comment on the leaked circular other than to say that the company will officially unveil the Black Friday deals online on Nov. 24 and the print circular will reach homes on Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 25.

For competitive reasons, most merchants typically keep a tight lid on their promotions for Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, until the week before.

Olson, who's been tracking annual Black Friday deals from all of the major retailers -- including Wal-Mart (NYSE: WMT - News), Sears (Nasdaq: SHLD - News) and Macy's (NYSE: M - News) -- for the past seven years, said Target's deals look very similar to its gameplan from last year.

"They again focused on electronics and toys mostly," said Olson, adding that readers of his website are "really polarized" about Target's deals this year.

"Many are saying that these deals are great and Target will be the first place where they go on Black Friday, but then others are disappointed. They were expecting much better deals," he said.

According to the Target (NYSE: TGT - News) circular, the Black Friday "doorbuster" deals, or the extra juicy sales, will be available for a limited time from 4 a.m. to 10 a.m., or while supplies last.

These include a 40-inch Westinghouse 1080p LCD HDTV for $298, down from its regular price of $550.

Also in the ad: $3 Chefmate appliances such as 2-slice toasters, 5-speed electric handmixers and 2-slice sandwich makers; a Wii Fit bundle that includes the Wii Fit balance board and Wii Fit Plus game for $67; TomTom GPS XL335T with lifetime traffic updates for $79; 8GB iPod Touch with a $30 gift card for $225; Sony wireless Blu-Ray player for $99; 4GB Xbox 360 game system for $200 with a $50 gift card; DVDs for $4; and 50% off on select toys and children's winter clothing priced at $5.

The ad said the merchant is also offering a free gift card worth $10 if you spend $100 or more at its stores from 4 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Black Friday.

For shoppers looking for early online deals, Target is kicking off discounts a day before Black Friday. Target.com is offering special sales from 3 a.m. ET Thanksgiving Day to 2:59 a.m. ET on Friday featuring up to 50% off on cameras, televisions, a Blu-ray player and a video game console. In addition, any Barbie item purchased will ship for free.[/p]

Source

2. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Whenever they say "select toys" or something along those lines, you know they're meaning items they want to get the hell off their shelves ASAP because no one buys them anyways.

Did they mention what generation that 8GB iPod Touch was? If it was the latest generation, I might go for one.

3. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Appliances...

I really need to cook more.

4. sdnoob

Member sdnoob GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    That's a cheap TV, regardless of brand.

5. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    The TV seems like a great deal if it doesn't fall apart on the way home. [​IMG]

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    Westinghouse is a pretty crappy brand, I had a cd player and a portable tv from them
    absolute trash

7. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    I had a westinghouse Analog TV that lasted me 13 years...

8. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    The iPod touch is definitely 4th generation, because otherwise it wouldn't be a good deal. (Heck, I don't think it's a good deal anyways, but whatever).

9. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Better than whatever it was priced at before at least. Oh, and congrats on 6666 posts, you evil being. =P

10. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    Don't Westinghouse make the USAs nukes? [​IMG]

11. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  12. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    my dad needs to know this! this can be the chance for new appliances! [​IMG]

13. .Chris
    OP

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    I know right! lol

14. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    i had a 19" westinghouse pc monitor. i bought it around 2005 for about 130 bucks! back then for an lcd monitor that was a steal. i only bought it because of the price. i felt like i had no choice. it died last year, but it survived about 4 moves and was a good monitor. i think it was just the backlight that died but i didn't care to fix it. i wouldn't buy westinghouse, but i did wind up with a 22" westinghouse as my 2nd pc monitor.

15. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Black Friday? What country is this for?

16. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    America, of course. The day after Thanksgiving is considered the most popular shopping day of the year.

The site looks interesting. But Target could sell their televisions for 90% off and I'm still not giving them any business, on account their corporate anti homosexual position: http://www.theawl.com/2010/08/real-america...se-it-never-did

17. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Ah cos in Australia we usually buy on Boxing Day cos thats when they clear the excess stock for cheap. May sound really cheap but hey its actually pretty good. I dont know alot of people who give presents exactly on christmas day anyways..

18. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    When I saw "$3 Appliances", I seriously thought the article was talking about large appliances such as refridgerators and washer/dryers.
    It's only the US that has Black Friday (which I just looked up, apparently it's not an official holiday). Boxing Day makes a lot more sense, because the sale is on leftover Christmas products.

19. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    black friday signifies the start of the christmas shopping

there is also cyber monday which is the first monday after black friday
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber_Monday

20. heavyknight

Member heavyknight GBAtemp Regular

United States
    A hand mixer huh...
    Hopefully there's not much that is complete crap (maybe expectations are a bit high on $3 items), but eh. New appliances, woohoo~