Hacking Talk to me about voiding warranties on the DS.

kalibar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I flash an original model DS, I remove the red/white sticker covering SL1 and do my filthy, filthy business. Theoretically, I have voided my warranty in doing so -- correct? Let's say down the line I had an issue and needed to send the DS to Nintendo for service. In theory, I wouldn't be allowed to do so. But say I ran the un-flash firmware and carefully re-applied the sticker -- for all intents and purposes, would Nintendo not notice anything amiss and honor my warranty?

Same question for the DS Lite, only sans the sticker. Flashing it voids the warranty, right? But if I needed the unit serviced, could I "more than likely" get away with un-flashing the unit and sending it in? Or does running FlashMe leave traces that they could still detect? Anyone have any firsthand experience with this?

Thanks, guys!

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on a DS Phat, you'll be fine... be careful with the sticker.. DS Lite's don't work with NoFlashMe, though, so don't bother with trying to get warranty work on a Flashed DS Lite.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The main reason I flashed my normal DS was because I'd have a massive passme sticking out the back of it otherwise. It did mean voiding my warrenty though
frown.gif
Getting the DS lite in a few days when its released in europe and I'm just going to use the MML on it. This way I won't void the warrenty.

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One time, i was trying to replace the battery on my EZflash 2, and i think i put the battery in backwards.

I was using my DS to test if the saving worked, but when i put my cart in, i just got a bright flash of light, and my DS wouldn't boot any more.

Luckily I called Nintendo, and they replaced it free of charge.

When they asked me what happened, I said "i think a power surge got it".

hahahahaha.

faceless

pink sugar heart attack
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
theoretically speaking, using your nintendo system with any unauthorized hardware voids your warranty...

in reality, even people with flashme'd and bricked dses have returned their ds for warranty service...

akuma99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When you get your DS Lite you can use the stealth version of flashme. It leaves the health warning screen on the DS so just by turning it on Nintendo or anyone else for that matter can't tell the difference. They would have to go to alot more trouble to find out that you modified the firmware. I don't think they will go to that much trouble they will probably just give you a new one to save time.

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
Why is there SO Much DAMN misinformation floating around this scene?
I mean, every thread I read has someone going on with unsubstantiated blabber.

akuma99, Nintendo CAN and WILL find out about hardware flashed DS'es, even with Stealth.

akuma99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ron555, I didn't say that they couldn't find out that the DS was flashed with the stealth flashme. I just said that they wouldn't notice just by turning it on whereas with the normal flashme it is easy to tell. By using the stealth version they will turn it on and with the health screen there and they probably won't give it a second thought. Yes Nintendo has ways of telling that a DS has been flashed regardless of which version is used. I just don't believe that they will go to that much trouble. They probably get hundreds of DS's in each day for repair and it's most likely easier for them just to replace it than to take it apart to replace the board or LCD or whatever maybe wrong with it.
I myself just recently returned my original fat DS because it had a cracked screen and it was flashed. When I got it back it was a brand new one I don't think they even noticed or cared that my old one was flashed.

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi akuma99,

Sorry for the original flame. I should never post on forums while checking my tests grades for pathophysiology class.
happy.gif

Anyways, sorry again!

akuma99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No prob, I understand how school can be stressful. No harm done, I hope you did well on your test
biggrin.gif

Also I hope I didn't come off as a prick or disrespectful to you in my response. As that was never my intention.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2