Talk me into downgrading my N3DS (or don't)

Downgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flush it down the toilet

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

rufuszombot

Assassin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on the edge trying to decide whether or not to downgrade my N3DSXL. I already downgraded both of my O3DS XLs successfully (with the original build of sysUpdater no less) and it's treating me well. I've always kept my MM N3DS as legit as possible because I don't want to risk anything happening to it, and I don't really see the benefits of it. Though I have installed every US legit CIA to it, just because I didn't see any risks in that.
So, Should I do it? I've completed everything in my Mii Plaza, and I have several legit eShop purchases on it. I'm conflicted.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
emulation on New3DS with CIAs is pretty good. userland doesn't allow for dynamic recompilation.

now not all of the emulators use dynarec (only gpSP, picodrive, and PCSX ReARMed?). but that might change over time. mGBA for example should get dynarec soon. but this isn't really possible in userland (except on 9.2 or lower due to rohax).

PSX emulation seems to slow down with 3D models I think, at least in my experience. I tried Crash Bandicoot: the intro ran fine, until it went to the main menu. maybe it'll get better.

your mileage may vary though:

I also consider emunand to be a safety net for bricks; if something happens to it, you can easily restore an [emu]nand backup to it. downgrading doesn't mean you have to stop buying games legitimately. especially given with the recent 9.6+ emunand for New3DS. :)

Reactions: Angely and Codename

rufuszombot

Assassin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
emulation on New3DS with CIAs is pretty good. userland doesn't allow for dynamic recompilation.

now not all of the emulators use dynarec (only gpSP, picodrive, and PCSX ReARMed?). but that might change over time. mGBA for example should get dynarec soon. but this isn't really possible in userland (except on 9.2 or lower due to rohax).

PSX emulation seems to slow down with 3D models I think, at least in my experience. I tried Crash Bandicoot: the intro ran fine, until it went to the main menu. maybe it'll get better.

your mileage may vary though:

I also consider emunand to be a safety net for bricks; if something happens to it, you can easily restore an [emu]nand backup to it. downgrading doesn't mean you have to stop buying games legitimately. especially given with the recent 9.6+ emunand for New3DS. :)

From what I've read, the few PSX games I would want to play don't run at a decent fps, and I already have all the GBA games I enjoy injected and installed on my O3DS.
I want to, just for fun, but I don't think I really need to.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've read, the few PSX games I would want to play don't run at a decent fps, and I already have all the GBA games I enjoy injected and installed on my O3DS.
I want to, just for fun, but I don't think I really need to.
personally I think that emulation on New3DS is better and easier to set up.

I know that emulation isn't really better than just using the native hardware, but I don't like the way Nintendo did AGB_FIRM. I have the ambassador games and they just don't look good. also, you don't have really any features: just the game and a way to close it.

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I used julian20's sysupdater on my n3ds with the extracted ttp files from that iso site (deleted that one cia that bricks japanese 3dses). It took about 15 attempts to load up the downgrader but it was worth it.

rufuszombot

Assassin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is there a way for me to do this without formatting my SD card and unlinking my NANDs? I pretty much only want this for a few games, and I don't want to lose anything from my sysNand. I'm about to downgrade...

rufuszombot

Assassin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to set up an emunand without having to format my SD card?
Also, one I do set up an emunand, can I restore it to my sysnand if I want to go back? I have a lot of stuff on there, and I don't want to lose it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs