Gaming ROM Hack GBA Tales of the World - Narikiri Dungeon 3 Future Duo Hack

ciolnirrep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone,
after working on various games (persona, disgaea, ffta2, tales of Xillia, KH), this is my first full rom hack of what is maybe my favourite game, Narikiri Dungeon 3!

Let me introduce you to the Future Duo hack!

The concept is simple, switch the heroes, Frio and Kyaro (or Furio and Caro, as some would call them) with their Future, Evil counterpart. Having always been frustrated that the "evil" palette swap was not playable, I decided to go full force, almost ten years later, and make a complete overhaul of that game.

The rom hack features:

-Fully recolored battle sprites for both protagonists, including the unused and non-unlockable costumes (such as Dymlos and Gambler for Frio)

-Overworld sprites are now using their evil version, with handmade recolor for Kyaro's broom riding sprites

-Voices have been changed however was possible, so you can now hear them use the boss versions of their battle clips

-Normal battle theme is now the ND2 battle theme from the 1st Final Battle

-Said Final Battle now uses the normal ND3 battle theme

-Portraits have been switched, now allowing previously hidden and unused portraits to be put to use (slightly edited to look a bit better, as they seem to be beta leftover)

-Future version of the duo are now coloured into the "normal" version, with custom recolour to give the masked sprites and portraits gray hair

-Painstakingly edited "Julio" and "Caro" costumes, that only serve as cutscene during the masked duo reveal.

Please enjoy and feel free to give feedback :)

Big thanks to the community on the Absolute Zero translations discord server, especially Justin3009 who helped me understand the portraits's structure, give them a shout out if you can!

N.B. This patch is compatible with Kajitani-Eizan's ND3 patch, so feel free to use it with his!

ND3 Future duo hack screenshot 1.png
ND3 Future duo hack screenshot 2.png
ND3 Future duo hack screenshot 3.png

Attachments

• Tales of the World - Narikiri Dungeon 3 Evil Duo Hack v1.0.rar
    47.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by ciolnirrep,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wtf. I almost fell out of my chair. 😮 For a second, I thought it was the full english translation of ND3, as long-awaited as it was elusive! Welp, what a disappointment. 😖
Okay, not to belittle your work: these other things might be of interest to someone later, but why not first finally commit to finishing this damn, elusive and cursed english translation of the full plot and dialogues, which is the main thing? Strong words perhaps, as strong was my disappointment....
Come on, maybe I've made way for other possible interventions in this regard, in a thread that probably would have gone completely unnoticed.
I will say more; I really hope that this will open a debate and awaken the interest of others regarding the full translation of this fine gba game (as well as the 2 previous ones).😉

ciolnirrep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wtf. I almost fell out of my chair. 😮 For a second, I thought it was the full english translation of ND3, as long-awaited as it was elusive! Welp, what a disappointment. 😖
Okay, not to belittle your work: these other things might be of interest to someone later, but why not first finally commit to finishing this damn, elusive and cursed english translation of the full plot and dialogues, which is the main thing? Strong words perhaps, as strong was my disappointment....
Come on, maybe I've made way for other possible interventions in this regard, in a thread that probably would have gone completely unnoticed.
I will say more; I really hope that this will open a debate and awaken the interest of others regarding the full translation of this fine gba game (as well as the 2 previous ones).😉
Thanks for leaving a reply :rofl2:
Why did I not translate? well two major reasons:
1: I've been playing this game since the early 2010s, so I know it by heart, and Kajitani's patch translates the most important story points, so I personally don't need anything more than this, this game's just an excuse to get all Tales characters to fight each other :D
2: My Japanese suck
But I understand that some would love to see this game fully in English, like ND2 was.
This is just me, doing something I wanted to be possible ten years ago when I started this game, and wanting to share with the community.
I do hope that this would indeed sparl some interest in the game for others though, as you said.

No matter what, I hope you'll at least give the mod a try, should it fancy your interest.

Reactions: Nikokaro

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
oh I forgot that you also changed the sountrack, that's nice

Joke P.S:
Also , yeah, how dare you produce a patch that isn't a 101% translation of the game you monster

• Haha
Reactions: ciolnirrep

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche