Tales of the Tempest english patch or someone translating it

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Zelosboss, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Zelosboss
    OP

Newcomer Zelosboss Member

Spain
    is there any english patch for
    Tales of the Tempest

or someone working on it??

2. StorMyu

Member StorMyu "I'm too old for this"

France
    shittiest game in all Tales Of, why do you even want a patch of it ?

GHANMI and Manasword like this.
  3. Zelosboss
    OP

Spain
    it's because i like every tales and digimon games. i even played to the end digimon championship which people say its shet too xD

i know you must think i'm dumb, but i like even the shitty games lol

4. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Nope, there isn't. You most likely won't be able to play this game in english for the rest of your life.

5. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    I think the only way for OP to fully enjoy the game is by learning japanese.
    It would be a lot more productive and less time-consuming than finding a translation patch.

6. Zelosboss
    OP

Spain
    well that sucks, fortunally there is cool games in english like tales of innocence :D

7. Manasword

Newcomer Manasword Tempest Tales

United States
    Tempest is worst ever Tales game and no ones played it. I'll be attempt this game if English version was exist.

P.S. Caius and Rubia would appear in ToW RM2/3 for PSP. But japanese only.

8. StorMyu

France
    I personally played this game to the very end, it was fun.

9. GHANMI

Member GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    Why would anyone bother and translate this sub-par opus, while Tales of Hearts, and Keroro RPG (it *is* a Tales of game too).. maybe also the somewhat similar Summon Night SS3.... are leagues better and still untranslated?

BTW StorMyu, do you know how to open its debug room? I saw some screens of it in namco's forums. Is it a simple map file swap or sthg more involved?
    At least that's one reason to check it out again after my awful disappointment back then

edit: To the OP: if you like this one you could check the bug-fest which is Blue Dragon awakened shadow for the DS: similar Tales of gameplay, in English and actually fun despite being unbalanced as hell. I have completed it 100%, optional stuff and all.

10. StorMyu

France
    the debug screen on Tales.Namco was from me, so yeah I know how to access them lol
    I just did a simple swap for that (that's just the easy way though). swap sce01.something to IDon'tReallyKnow the debug file anymore.
    but the .mes files are changeable so, just have fun with changing the sce01 with other .mes file (if it's .mes cause it's been a while) to any other one and you can find the debug room like that since it's one of them.

Also, Keroro RPG is on my to-do list for a while now, you can find traces of it on Gbatemp iirc ^^

GHANMI likes this.
  11. GHANMI

Antarctica
    Oh, by the way, this game uses msd format for its text files, like many Namco games (One Piece Gear Spirit, and there is Treasure Report, an excellent Layton clone with translation-friendly puzzles I wish I could find a translator to begin it), some Square games (FF 4 Heroes of light) and Avalon Code.

It's a well known format and tools for it are ready here:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/msd-text-mass-dividing-utilities.115413/#post-4341331
    http://romxhack.esforos.com

Tinke or Crystaltile can do the tile graphics edition.

All that remains is finding someone crazy enough to do the translation part. But that's a lost case anyways :) (the game is too short, so you might have a chance)
    That's the most I can help you.

12. StorMyu

France
    it's not .msd, it's .mes (cause this game is a mess, ahah bad joke => *kill myself*)

And I was the one who asked PleoNex to add the graphics to Tinke actually.

Btw, it's not "just" about translating it. even if you translate the whole thing, the game will remain a mess, and untranslatable without a good asm hack.

[​IMG]

GHANMI likes this.
  13. GHANMI

Antarctica
    Dunno why, but Gbatemp threw at me this "Are you sure you want to like this post?" :moogle:

Anyways you're right, it seems this game doesn't natively support ascii char variable width (unlike Keroro RPG, iirc last time I checked).
    A bit of good (?) news: it's probably getting remade for the Vita, if a certain easter egg in Innocence R is to be believed. But with the console dire state now, I wouldn't be very optimistic...

14. StorMyu

France
    Tales of Innocence R + Tales of Hearts R = Tales of the Tempest R

that's almost mandatory.
    Also, Keroro RPG, you'd like to help ? if yes, feel free to pm me.

15. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    That's not hard to fix though.....

16. StorMyu

France
    Never said that.

17. GHANMI

Antarctica
    Forgive my ASM total illetracy, but could you please elaborate on that?
    I saw a lot of projects that had Fixed-width chars as a major hurdle, and I even encountered something similar : 1 2 3 4 5 using ascii chars, also Layton's JP-only London Holiday.

I'd appreciate it greatly if you laid out the general idea (not asking for a panacea or an universal solution of course) how to proceed to fix the text when its letters are being restricted to a grid with fixed width squares instead of, you know, normal text. Even when writing with the English ascii set instead of the English FW JP set. Do you work on the square length, square position, How do you make the game consider the width of each letter?
    Thanks in advance, although I realize how off-topic and vague it is.

Phoenix Goddess likes this.
  18. Normmatt

New Zealand
    Well it depends how the game is coded some games like Digimon Story Lost Evolution had fixed width for all characters. This game used the standard nitro font format but it hard-coded the width instead of reading it from the font to get around that I found the location where the hard-coded width was used and made it load the value from the font instead. That game also didn't accept 1 byte ASCII characters either so I did a quick ASCII to SJIS conversion in memory. Later I simply added the ASCII character to the nitro font directly.

There isn't any sort of general solution but there are common ways of doing things so once you've experienced a few they all appear similar.

GHANMI likes this.
  19. StorMyu

France
    In a sprite based system, you mostly end up with a said value used for every letters inside the text routine, you have to change that value for each letter by comparing it to a table which you'll add yourself.

example of said table:
    Code:
    FontWidthTable:
        ;  space    !    "    #    $    %    &    '    (    )    *    +    ,    -    .    /
        .db 0x06, 0x05, 0x05, 0x0a, 0x08, 0x0d, 0x0b, 0x03, 0x05, 0x06, 0x06, 0x09, 0x02, 0x05, 0x04, 0x05,
        ;      0    1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    :    ;    <    =    >    ?
        .db 0x08, 0x05, 0x08, 0x08, 0x09, 0x08, 0x08, 0x08, 0x08, 0x08, 0x03, 0x03, 0x08, 0x09, 0x08, 0x09, 
        ;      @    A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K    L    M    N    O
        .db 0x0F, 0x0b, 0x09, 0x0A, 0x0A, 0x09, 0x09, 0x0B, 0x09, 0x03, 0x07, 0x0a, 0x09, 0x0B, 0x09, 0x0B,
        ;      P    Q    R    S    T    U    V    W    X    Y    Z    [    \    ]    ^    _
        .db 0x09, 0x0B, 0x0A, 0x09, 0x09, 0x0A, 0x0b, 0x0f, 0x0a, 0x0a, 0x09, 0x04, 0x08, 0x04, 0x06, 0x09, 
        ;      `    a    b    c    d    e    f    g    h    i    j    k    l    m    n    o
        .db 0x05, 0x08, 0x08, 0x07, 0x08, 0x08, 0x05, 0x08, 0x08, 0x03, 0x04, 0x08, 0x03, 0x0b, 0x08, 0x08,
        ;      p    q    r    s    t    u    v    w    x    y    z    {    |    }    ~
        .db 0x08, 0x08, 0x06, 0x07, 0x06, 0x08, 0x09, 0x0b, 0x08, 0x0a, 0x09, 0x05, 0x03, 0x05, 0x07

Because obviously the game will read the letter, and blabla asm coding blabla you end up with that (I'm tired sorry)

20. Normmatt

New Zealand
    Just looked at this game it seems to use its own custom font rendering. It appears to support variable widths but its hardcoded to 0x0D by the instruction at 02001D74. In all likely hood too support vwf for the ascii character it would require adding a width table to the actual render character routine by hooking the original code around about 0204AFA8 which is where it loads the hardcoded width. With that hook address r5 is the SJIS character code so its fairly do able. Just requires some time.

EDIT: To support ASCII might not be so easy. I'll take a look but I'm not sure if its even needed. SJIS is fine just needs to have the proper widths set.

EDIT2: As I suspected it didn't take much effort to make the widths variable. You can find my hack http://www.mediafire.com/?oc37oyhjobcubsz to use it you need to put the rom in the folder with extract.bat then drag the rom onto extract.bat and pres U then enter. After that go into the arm9patches folder and double click build.bat and it will patch the arm9 and rebuild the rom with the filename "Tails of the Tempest (ENG).nds". I haven't set the correct widths for the current font so if you plan to use this you will need to modify them. They are located in arm9patches/bin/widthTable.bin and each byte corresponds to a sjis character between 8140 and 8280.

GHANMI likes this.