GCN Tales of Symphonia Undub

julianuf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all!

This (the github page, linked below) is the new home for the Tales of Symphonia GCN Undub patch! Many years ago I created the initial Tales of Symphonia undub patch. There were various issues with it (documented in the github readme) with the most glaring one being the omission of restoring skit voices. Alas, I was but a young college student at the time, and I did not yet have the tech know-how to complete this. (There were also a lot less resources available back then!)

Earlier this year, I took reverse engineering on as a hobby, and a few months ago I decided that I now knew enough to come back and finish this project. I'm happy to say that I've finally accomplished what I originally set out to do all those years ago. All voices are now properly restored, and all known bugs have been fixed. Enjoy!

More info is available at the project page here:
https://github.com/JulianoW/Tales-of-Symphonia-NGC-Undub

Latest release is V2.0 Beta:
https://github.com/JulianoW/Tales-of-Symphonia-NGC-Undub/releases/tag/V2.0_BETA

Patch is xdelta and needs to be applied to clean USA images. More instructions on the release page.

Be aware this is a beta release. I have not thoroughly tested it. If you find any bugs, I would prefer tracking it through an issue on github, but you may post here as well. Please be as detailed as you can, and include a save file if possible.

Enjoy!

Last edited by julianuf,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the game on the ps3, but unfortunately, I don't really mess with the ps3 much. I did fix some alphabetizing today though. anyway, that game is fantastic. when I was going to go legit, I bought the game and its sequel, dawn of the new world, for $20 on psn. it's a steal for sure. it's in a dual pack on psn from what I remember, so they're only like $10 per game. it's my favorite tales of game, and that includes the Japanese only ones.

PiketrCechillas

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hey all,

Dunno if there's much/any demand left for this. I worked on this undub 12 years ago, but wasn't able to fix the skit issue due to inexperience. It's been in the back of my mind all this time, but I had shrugged it off since we had the PS3 and PC versions released with dual audio. Earlier this year I started taking up some hacking and reverse engineering work, have accomplished quite a bit, and decided that I have the necessary skills to finally go back to this and finish it off.

So a few days ago I started debugging and documenting code, and I've finally done it - skits are restored!

I'm looking into releasing this in the very near future, but I know there were some random battle voices that weren't replaced correctly, so I'd like to try and get those fixed as well before releasing something.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing some testing to help identify these issues?

Thanks! <3

Heya. I'm a long term Tales fan, and I would really glad to be the game tester. Contact me if you're needing for one

GGMsMDMA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a few days ago I started debugging and documenting code, and I've finally done it - skits are restored!

I'm looking into releasing this in the very near future, but I know there were some random battle voices that weren't replaced correctly, so I'd like to try and get those fixed as well before releasing something.

imo, voiced skits are a major improvement that deserves to be released on its own. With the steam version capped at 30 fps, voiced skits are pretty much the only thing keeping the GC version from being the best one. Would you consider uploading a version that simply adds voiced skits, and then releasing an updated version once the other issues are fixed? I get scared cause on this forum it's not uncommon to see projects like this drop off the face of the earth without anything being uploaded. I personally can't do much to help test unless I run into some major obvious issue, but I am very interested in playing this patch even in an unfinished state.

julianuf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on vacation right now but I plan on putting an intermediate patch out here sometime in the next week or two.

julianuf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies for the delay. I didn't want to release an incomplete patch, so I decided to investigate and fix all the bugs (at least the ones I was aware of) in the original release.

OP updated with V2.0 beta patch! :toot:

edit: This subforum is so hidden. ;-; poor gamecube needs more love!

GGMsMDMA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies for the delay. I didn't want to release an incomplete patch, so I decided to investigate and fix all the bugs (at least the ones I was aware of) in the original release.

Thanks so much for this, really appreciate the time and work you must have put in to make this game actually complete with the original voices and english text. I always felt the localizers butchered the game by not including any voices for skits. I don't even mind english dubs that much usually but it's objectively worse if it doesn't actually have all the dialogue, so undub patches like this have been a godsend. So glad a game this old was able to finally get a fix, again thank you

crazyffet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

edit: This subforum is so hidden. ;-; poor gamecube needs more love!
how do i apply the patch? what program do i use? the xdelta program im using cant seem to recognize xdelta3 files please help

crazyffet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Use this program

Use this program

And when you select the patch file, click the drop-down box thats labeled file type and switch it from .xdelta to All files. .xdelta3 files should appear now.

And when you select the patch file, click the drop-down box thats labeled file type and switch it from .xdelta to All files. .xdelta3 files should appear now.
i tried this and it still doesn't work. it gives me an error. anything else i can try?

crazyffet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok so i eventually got this to work, thank you to the person who suggested the fix.

this work is fantastic, thank you. I have noticed a couple bugs, upon swapping discs for the first time after the iselia human ranch, the skits will randomly not be voiced anymore. i dont know if this stays like this or it fixes itself, i just reset and it fixed itself. i will have to test this further.

Also it is not possible right now to swap from disc2 to disc1. swapping from disc1 to disc2 works but not the other way around for the patched disc1. i have tried with clean isos and only the patched disc1 was the one none of the versions could swap to on dolphin.

also one request from me if u will allow me, can you please restore iselia's original music that was in the ntsc version? the japanese iselia and english have different pitches to the song. if not then can u please tell me how i can do it myself? thank you

Last edited by crazyffet,

julianuf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I probably should have just left the files as .xdelta instead of .xdelta3, kinda arbitrary, but I just use xdelta through the commandline so didn't know the popular UI tool filtered that way. I'll fix it next time.
ok so i eventually got this to work, thank you to the person who suggested the fix.

this work is fantastic, thank you. I have noticed a couple bugs, upon swapping discs for the first time after the iselia human ranch, the skits will randomly not be voiced anymore. i dont know if this stays like this or it fixes itself, i just reset and it fixed itself. i will have to test this further.

Also it is not possible right now to swap from disc2 to disc1. swapping from disc1 to disc2 works but not the other way around for the patched disc1. i have tried with clean isos and only the patched disc1 was the one none of the versions could swap to on dolphin.

also one request from me if u will allow me, can you please restore iselia's original music that was in the ntsc version? the japanese iselia and english have different pitches to the song. if not then can u please tell me how i can do it myself? thank you
Do you happen to have a save right before the disc swap? I recall seeing one on gamefaqs, I think, so I might try that. I may not be able to get to this for a few weeks but I will look into it. Thanks for the report!

As for bgm's, I didn't replace any, so they should already be using the English versions? I can double check though.

crazyffet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I probably should have just left the files as .xdelta instead of .xdelta3, kinda arbitrary, but I just use xdelta through the commandline so didn't know the popular UI tool filtered that way. I'll fix it next time.

Do you happen to have a save right before the disc swap? I recall seeing one on gamefaqs, I think, so I might try that. I may not be able to get to this for a few weeks but I will look into it. Thanks for the report!

As for bgm's, I didn't replace any, so they should already be using the English versions? I can double check though.
Hey, so unfortunately i do not have the save, should have thought about making a backup to test in hindsight.. but i do plan on testing this from start to finish, i'll update u as i go.

as for the iselia bgm, i assure u it is different than the english version. for some reason the ntsc version came with an altered version of iselia's bgm which i love tbh. i'm pretty sure the old undub iso kept the same as the english versions too.

the reason i find this so strange is iselia's music changed to match that of the japanese release, but the heroic theme does not replace the original song from the english version. the opening is also changed to the japanese release so it seems some things were changed and others were not. can u please add this theme back along with getting iselia's english version back? i know i'm asking a lot of u and i'm really sorry. I appreciate your work. if u have a patreon or something i would be down to sub

Last edited by crazyffet,

DeLaKek

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hey, so unfortunately i do not have the save, should have thought about making a backup to test in hindsight.. but i do plan on testing this from start to finish, i'll update u as i go.

as for the iselia bgm, i assure u it is different than the english version. for some reason the ntsc version came with an altered version of iselia's bgm which i love tbh. i'm pretty sure the old undub iso kept the same as the english versions too.

the reason i find this so strange is iselia's music changed to match that of the japanese release, but the heroic theme does not replace the original song from the english version. the opening is also changed to the japanese release so it seems some things were changed and others were not. can u please add this theme back along with getting iselia's english version back? i know i'm asking a lot of u and i'm really sorry. I appreciate your work. if u have a patreon or something i would be down to sub

You can just replace the bgm files from the S folder with the ones from the japanese version, it works for me that way. Extract the files from both discs of both versions with GC-Tool and rebuild using GCRebuilder.

totakeke95

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
And for those who play in translated versions such as Spanish, German, Italian... isn't it possible to create a multi-language undub patch?

julianuf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And for those who play in translated versions such as Spanish, German, Italian... isn't it possible to create a multi-language undub patch?
Sorry but I currently have no intention of doing this. From what I saw each version has its own image, which means manually doing a ton of adjustments multiple times for each language, every time I update the patch.

I may adjust how the patch is done in the future so that it's an automated process that requires a JP iso + Target iso, rather than an xdelta patch, and at that point it would be trivial to support PAL versions, but that is a good deal of work that I do not have the time for. Sorry.

If you want to create it yourself, it shouldn't be that difficult. Most of the patch is just replacing sound archives. The github page has the code that was used to rebuild btlenemy and btlusual, it may need a few tweaks to target PAL but it should be straightforward.

The only other piece would be editing the elf to remove the skit-muting code. If you get this far I'd be happy to look at that and tell you what needs to be adjusted.

Animage55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like a lot of voiced cut scenes are missing. Also rumble is missing for some reason except in the part where you crash into tethealla. That part isnt dubbed and has eng voices.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if the ps3 version is undubbed by default, but it should be ported over to that if it is. both that and dawn of the new world are in a collection for like $9.99-$19.99, I think. it's one of those two prices last time I checked. not a bad deal for what I consider to be the best tales of game ever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi