Tales of Symphonia Remastered will launch early next year

Twenty years after its original release for the Nintendo GameCube and ten years after its re-release on PS3, Bandai Namco will be bringing Tales of Symphonia to modern platforms in the form of Tales of Symphonia Remastered. This is a port of the Chronicles release of the game, which was previously released for PlayStation 3 and Steam, with this upcoming version of the game featuring "enhanced character models and enviroments", as well as improved controls for the Elemental Cargo ship part of the game. It'll be out on February 17, 2023, for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I thought we knew that already, from the TGS from like a month ago. :ninja:
That it existed? For sure, and I think it was in a Nintendo Direct as well. The new info here is when it's launching, and that it's still 30fps capped, as all ports of Chronicles have been.

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Y’know this port puzzles the heck out of me. I hate to be that guy, but the fact that this is still restricted to 30fps is a deal-breaker for me. Also, quality aside, they should’ve included Dawn of the New World as well. Or at least indicated that they were planning on also porting it at some point. It’s from the same collection that this port is based off of so I can’t image it’s that much more work to just move over both games.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That it existed? For sure, and I think it was in a Nintendo Direct as well. The new info here is when it's launching, and that it's still 30fps capped, as all ports of Chronicles have been.
Oh right. I forgot, it didn't have release date. Just said "Early 2023" I just assumed it would be obviously in feburary like the last time for the ps3. :ninja:

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I wish they just firectly ported symphonia and the sequel then ported other games like graces or the untranslated ones

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After all this time, they haven't bothered putting in more effort into making the game run at 60fps for modern hardware. Just another overpriced shitty cashgrab for such a beloved game in the franchise.

Coming out at $40 USD and DOES NOT come bundled with Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. The PS3 version did at $40, but both games could be bought separately for $20 each. Symphonia also launched at $20 on PC, but with it was also a pretty bad PC port all things considered with many issues that needed mods to fix (frame pacing issues, locked 720p30, etc.)
One of the greatest games of GameCube era. Why this remake though? Makes no sense.
Not even a remake. Just a PS4/XBO/Switch remaster of a PS3 remaster of a PS2 port. And all these versions are locked at 30fps since they had to rework the game's code and animations to run at 30fps for the weaker PS2 hardware back in the day. And, again, they didn't even try to put in the extra effort to re-rework 60fps into the modern ports.

Last edited by NyaakoXD,

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one of my favorite games but I'm not sure I want to support this release. I bought the PS3 version and the PC version, it's nice to have the additional content.

I wish someone would make a definitive version mod with the 60fps + other content (ala BetterWindWaker or Majora's Mask Restoration), maybe use the Gamecube version as a base (instead of trying to get 60fps in the PS2 version). Or that BandaiNamco would release a version like that.

Instead we get another port. I find it funny they call this a "remaster" touting "improved graphics" when I don't see anything different (look at the character textures). I can only assume they are still referring to the Gamecube version when they make that comment.

The extras in the store (steel case, stickers, etc) are a nice bonus but probably not worth picking up on its own and certainly not worth hassling with their store to do so.

Still sad they never got the original VA back (either for this added content or the terrible sequel which didn't have everyone).

Reactions: Darksabre72

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like an upscaled PS2 game.

Well....it kind of is. The game got released on Gamecube and ported (+ enhanced) to PS2 in Japan only. Then later, the PS2 version got ported to PS3 but came to an international audience (maybe some texture cleanup?). Then that version of the game was ported to PC. And now Switch/Xbox-One/PS4.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Too bad. I tried the PS3 version before and found the combat to be terribly unresponsive, unplayable to me, and the plot/chars/graphics wanting.

I was hoping for a 60fps version to come out, but we got this...

It's by far the most overrated Tales game (30 fps versions) IMHO, and I say this as a huge fan of the series.

Back to Dolphin + HD Texture packs then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16