Tales Of Phantasia Problems

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Unknown Ninja, Mar 19, 2009.

Mar 19, 2009
  1. Unknown Ninja
    OP

Newcomer Unknown Ninja Newbie

Netherlands
    Hi,

I bought a GBA flash card a long time ago called a EZ-Flash 2 Powerstar. I haven't played many games on it but i finished Metroid Fusion and Summon Night Swordcraft Story. I had no problems with those games. I have played a lot of Rayman and Yoshi's Island too and also without problems. I play all these games on my DS.

A few days ago i started playing Tales Of Phantasia. I used the 3.26 EZclient. I noticed in the beginning and in the menu's that my DS makes a popping sound. It's like a large pop. Whenever i enter te menu and leave it makes that sound and in battle it randomly makes this sound. It is really frustrating me because the game isn't really loud so it is very noticeable.

I searched everywhere on the web and i could only find one review on Amazon that sayed that there are pops in the game. They all complain about the distorted voices but not about the pops.

So then i tried a emulator. The popular Virtualboy Advance. I started with 1.7.2. I noticed that whenever i exited a house or place the game slows down really bad. The sound is good. I heard one pop in 10 minutes. Then i tried 1.8 beta 3. The slowdown was gone but the sound keeps deforming and gets distorted all the time and i get periodic pops. Then i tried 1.7.1. The slowdown isn't present in the version and the sound i not as bad as 1.8 beta 3 but i get more pops with this version. When i tried 1.5.1 it worked like a charm. No slowdown, no pops, no distortion, nothing. I don't understand what the problem is with this game. Why does it pop?

The problem is that i would like to play it on my DS. I find that better. Are other people having this same problem? Is it a problem with this game? Just this game? Is it that my flash card is old and it doesn't play this late GBA release? I bought it a few weeks after the DS was released so shouldn't it be a good card?

If someone would please help me i would be very gratefull.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
    William

2. Unknown Ninja
    OP

Newcomer Unknown Ninja Newbie

Netherlands
    I just tested some other games on my flash card and the results are a little strange.

I get the same popping in Castlevania Circle Of The Moon.

I tried 16 Nintendo DS games on my R4DS and i didn't get a single popping sound. So i know it isn't a problem with my DS.

I think the problem is that the EZFlash 2 Powerstar isn't fully compatible with the Nintendo DS. On a lot of websites it states that it does work and that it does but with serious problems. I kind of hate playing games that has a periodic popping sound. It makes me very stressed. I dream away when playing games and that effect is gone with this popping sound.

I do think that the problem isn't a compatibility with roms issue because it is an early release.

Can someone that has this same card test if it pops with you GBA/DS? With Castlevania Circle Of Moon it pops right after the castle view with text when the screen turns black. With Tales Of Phantasia when je click the option button and then go back to the main menu it does the pop every 2-3 times. It a really loud pop so you will hear it. A friend of mine heard it a few meters away so that is really loud.

By the way, on Visualboy Advance 1.8.0 beta 3 Castlevania works like a charm. I played a while and it never pops.

Thanks in advance.