Tales of Hearts Translation Project

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by last_fencer, Oct 13, 2018.

1. last_fencer
    OP

last_fencer Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    Antarctica
    It's been almost 10 years since this game was released and still it hasn't been translated.
    Even though there's a PS Vita remake, I still think that this version deserves a translation.

So, after checking the game files I managed to extract and insert some files. The problem is that the script files are hard for me to understand and write a tool to extract/insert.
    At the moment I can edit menu, items, materials, skills and a few other texts.

Here are some screens that show what it's possible at the moment:

3169 - Tales of Hearts - Anime Movie Edition trans__24627. 3169 - Tales of Hearts - Anime Movie Edition trans__24653. 3169 - Tales of Hearts - Anime Movie Edition trans__24685. 3169 - Tales of Hearts - Anime Movie Edition trans__24718. 3169 - Tales of Hearts - Anime Movie Edition trans__24747. 3169 - Tales of Hearts - Anime Movie Edition trans__24979. 3169 - Tales of Hearts - Anime Movie Edition trans__25087.

So, since I don't understand japanese, this project can only progress with help from people who wants and knows how to translate.

Sheets with some texts.

docs. google. com /spreadsheets/d/1IvPuyTRGFB1eWEARogNQa1z_rIyk3S54dI4mG4VxFdQ/edit?usp=sharing
    docs. google. com /spreadsheets/d/1Jwz26hLTiKqJPjH_PKEVOS9XWtf7KfqIaEN7ujqtMeM/edit?usp=sharing
    docs. google. com /spreadsheets/d/1PotxTyh9g2kjfH0IigwtWzSO4jcut4VQYXlW7hA5Dfs/edit?usp=sharing

This is intended to be a a full translation, but right now it will be mostly a menu translation.

Help Needed:

• Translators: Knowledge of japanese and preferably familiar with the game's terms.
    • Romhackers:
      • Variable width font: The game uses VWF, I assume it's somewhere in arm9, but since I don't know asm I can't edit it.
      • Understanding the script format: The script files are packed in the m.dat, where m.b have the pointers and the file structure. Then again, the files are packed using the same structure. Once unpacked, each folder has at least one .SCP file, which is compressed (LZ10), and that's is the script file. Help is needed to understand the pointers.
    If you want to help translating, just send me a PM and I will send you the text files.

Last edited by last_fencer, Oct 15, 2018
  2. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Addict

May 3, 2012
    United States
    Will you translate the CGI version, too?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

3. last_fencer
    OP

last_fencer Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    Antarctica
    Yes, both versions.

4. pikatsu

pikatsu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
    WHy do not you use the translated demo patch from here to get some help and this script?

Attached Files:

5. last_fencer
    OP

last_fencer Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    Antarctica
    Because that would be plagiarism, I want to start from scratch.
    Thanks for the script translation, do you know who did this?
    Like I said, I don't know how to edit the script files, I need help to understand them so I can edit the files.
    And I don't know japanese so I can't just replace the sentences with the translated ones, but if someone knows it's just matter of replacing them.

6. pikatsu

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
    I do not remember. I have found it in a game translation forum many years ago. I grubbed the post just in case but the original post does not exist anymore or i cannot locate it. As for the files hacking part you could ask Kuriimu guys for help.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Wait i found in in another post http://www.mediafire.com/file/n45lmndz2nlxag5/TALES+OF+HEARTS+SCRIPT+TRANSLATION.txt or make a google search with this: TALES OF HEARTS SCRIPT TRANSLATION—by Jasmine B

Last edited by pikatsu, Oct 15, 2018
  7. last_fencer
    OP

last_fencer Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    Antarctica
    It seems we can use the translation as long as we give credit to the author, not bad.

I edited the first post to link some sheets with menu texts, if someone want to help just talk to me and I'll give you permission to edit.

Last edited by last_fencer, Oct 15, 2018
  8. pikatsu

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
    In which folder are the script files. Can you locate them for me. I want to take a look

9. last_fencer
    OP

last_fencer Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    Antarctica
    m/m.dat and m.b, you need to extract them, then extract, for example, FSHT00/FSHT00.SCP.

I'll put some samples here.

Attached Files:

10. pikatsu

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
  11. last_fencer
    OP

last_fencer Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    Antarctica
    I already made a unpacker/packer for FPS4 files like I said. The script files are inside those files, and those are the files that I need help. I uploaded a few in the previous post.

12. pikatsu

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
  13. bajol

bajol Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2016
    Portugal
    here
    http://www.blade2187.com/

14. takechiyo

takechiyo Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2018
    Indonesia
    this would be cool

15. tehwes

tehwes Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2010
    I found a code repo from the team who did the PS3 Tales of Vesperia fan translation, and it has code for working with the FPS4 archives and the TSS script format.

https://github.com/AdmiralCurtiss/HyoutaTools/tree/master/Tales/Vesperia

The TSS code is kinda all tied into dumping the data to databases for the translation website but you should be able to hack something together to output it in other ways. Just note that the header values in the DS files have the opposite endian-ness to what's used in TSSHeader.cs.

Maybe you could contact that team and see if they're willing to help or shed some light on how they organised things? Seems like they were working off local databases to hold the translated strings, then combining them together later.

16. last_fencer
    OP

last_fencer Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    Antarctica
    Thanks.
    I'm really busy at the moment, I'll take a look when I have more free time.