ROM Hack Tales of Hearts screenshot

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I just got a very interesting mail with a screenshot of a TOH with some bits translated..
Source is private and I won't be giving away any more info about this because for now, there ISN'T any info yet..

I just figured I'll share a picture with you, and see how do you guys feel about it..

This isn't a Photoshop work, this is authentic screenshot taken from a game!

TalesofHearts.png

Also, a link to a post from Symphonic Heaven: http://symphonicheaven.com/news/tales/hear...arts-screenshot

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
I'll say what I said in another thread.
You can see whether it's real or not by checking out the English letters in the font of the game. I'm not exactly sure whether it's real or not :/

Toni Plutonij

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

ryukyus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks real but is it fan translation or a company translating it, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this game was coming to north america, but can't rebember

Toni Plutonij

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
ryukyus said:
looks real but is it fan translation or a company translating it, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this game was coming to north america, but can't rebember
I'm not sure about official translation, if it'll happen or not, but this screenshot is from fan based translation!

Toni Plutonij

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
lce_ said:
Will it be a full translation?
Hmmm, at this point, from what I know (and that isn't much, it's not even a active project)..

QUOTE(Zane @ Dec 23 2008, 12:48 AM) That looks so damn good, what's the meaning with this screenshot? a hint on translation project? or just a tease? D=
I guess it's a bit of both, it's a tease for sure, but also it's a full hint on a translation project..However, I don't know much more about it!

Maybe the team will decide from peoples thoughts and responds to the screenshot from internet! (usually, that's the main purpose of the first screenshots)

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
Hmm...None of the fonts in the game match with the one in the screenshot. Everything, excluding the script has no compression applied, so unless I see some script screenshots, I won't believe that this is something good.
But again they might have designed a font of their own...but I don't see a reason to do that.

itzeggplant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome news. I love the Tales games and was hoping for this game to be translated into English. However, one thing irks me. I'm a bit curious as to why they didn't use "Hisui" and "Kohaku" for the siblings...

Kajitani-Eizan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because "they" (as if it's a real mystery XD) decided that the meanings of the names were more important than the sounds of them. i don't think any Tales game before this, other than phantasia, has actually used japanese names, now that i think about it.

that, and "Kohak" is pretty awkward.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Noitora said:
But again they might have designed a font of their own...but I don't see a reason to do that.
Most fan translations use their own font for various reasons.
Sometimes just because they look better.
Often because they can more effectively use space in combination with a bit of hacking.

If they just used what was available Kunzite wouldn't fit. You'd only get Kunzit.

On the note of names...
You can rename everyone's (first) name anyway.

Ellara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
itzeggplant said:
This is awesome news. I love the Tales games and was hoping for this game to be translated into English. However, one thing irks me. I'm a bit curious as to why they didn't use "Hisui" and "Kohaku" for the siblings...
Whomever made it likely considers the original names (which are the Japanese words for the corresponding minerals seen in the screenshot) to be "too Japanese" -which is a legitimate complaint- and is aiming for a more localisation-based approach to translating it. I have two-ish guesses as to whom it might be behind it, but it could be someone completely different. Hopefully they've got a good mindset for tackling it and do their research like all translators (official and fan alike) ought to do so there's few (if any) embarrassing mistakes.

That said, if this is indeed real, as it seems to be, I wish the best for the team. Looking forward to seeing more news about it in the future.

EDIT: Dammit, Kaji you beat me to it! XD

Kajitani-Eizan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OPPS i meant fujibayashis in general, not just ToP.

also hisui became jadeite for two obvious reasons: 1. jade is already taken 2. sailor moon references ahoy. it might be a bit too ridiculous though.

D

Deleted-134647

And... I give up. This is from my blog, I want to make my purpose clear before things spiral totally out of control.

----------------------------------

QUOTE said:
I’m sure many of you have seen this screenshot floating around by now. I know we did a really great job of hiding it, but yes, Kingcom and I made it.

First, let me apologize. Things kind of ended up going the opposite way of what I wanted. I had hoped that a screenshot like this might help drum up some support for an official English release of Tales of Hearts. Instead, it became some kind of weird viral marketing that not only gave the wrong impression, but probably disappointed a lot of people since it wasn’t official.

Second, let me state this clearly, WE ARE NOT WORKING ON A PROJECT TO TRANSLATE TALES OF HEARTS! We’re currently working on Tales of Innocence (among other projects) and it would be too difficult to manage all of these projects at once with just the two of us. Also, Tales of Hearts has literally just come out. We are strongly opposed to Day 0 translation projects. Those sorts of projects are irresponsible and can do serious harm to developers. That’s the last thing we want to do for a series that we love. Buy Tales of Hearts in Japanese. Beg Namdai to bring it over here. Don’t just pirate the game and pray for a fan translation, that’s not why we’re here. If you love the game, get the word out about it. That’s the best way to get the game in English.

Third, just because we are not working on a project now does not mean that we never will. The screenshot was real, the translation was real, and the work was real, but that’s as far as it goes for now. We are still hopeful for an official release and we do not want to do anything to hurt the chances of Hearts being released in English. When the companies fail to provide legitimate options for their fans, that’s when fan translators step up. However, it’s far too early to make that call.

Again, I apologize for any trouble this caused. We never intended to deceive anyone or pass our work off as an official translation. We wanted to get people to pay attention to Tales of Hearts and to ask for it in English. What we didn’t want was for people to ask Kingcom and I. So this kind of backfired…

Finally, I want to say one thing as a translator - if I translated this game, the default names would appear just as they do in this screenshot. Kohaku and Hisui are not just randomly selected names. They are meant to fall in with the many mineral references in the game and as such, they should be translated to maintain that reference. Kohaku is Amber. Hisui could be Jade, but in order to keep him unique within the series, I chose to go with Jadeite. I know there are many of you who disagree with these choices, but I will not change my position on this. However, Tales of Hearts does feature a naming option, so if you hate seeing Amber and Jadeite, you are free to change their names as you like. (Also, Kohak is the worst romanization I’ve ever seen. I can’t imagine a responsible translator using a name that fails to capture the intended reference in both Japanese and English.)

That’s all I’ve got for now, but there will hopefully be an Innocence update coming soon.
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it