Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Having to wait months and months for your favorite Japanese RPG titles to make the trip across the Pacific may be annoying. But there are occasional advantages.

One of those advantages showed today as Namco Bandai's Japanese parent announced a recall of Tales of Graces. The Wii RPG was released in December of last year and was found by many fans to be a buggy mess, particularly on a second play through.

While the game's issues have been known since last year, Namco Bandai waited until today to make official comment. It apologized to fans and promised to improve quality control in the future.

Japan-based players will be able to swap their current Tales of Graces disc with a new disc that fixes ten glaring bugs. Timing for the swap will be announced in the near future.

The swap will be done via the mail, with a delivery person handing over the new disc in exchange for the old one. Importers, this probably means you're out of luck. But for those who are waiting for a domestic release for Graces, you can probably expect the bug free code.

Source

Hm, feels like someone was rushing this release...

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Most of the bugs aren't detrimental just annoying but I recall two that nearly crashed my game. At least we all got an apology and the promise of better control unlike Toyota.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That`s the problem with the Wii. With other console there would have been a patch to get rid of the bugs!

The game still looked great and the japanese reviews were pretty good as well. Hopefully someday it will be released over here as well
wub.gif

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Master Mo said:
That`s the problem with the Wii. With other console there would have been a patch to get rid of the bugs!

The game still looked great and the japanese reviews were pretty good as well. Hopefully someday it will be released over here as well
wub.gif
The problem is shitty developers. If that many bugs made it into the "final" version, numerous people either are horrible at their job, or they just plain didn't play-test anything. Releasing an incomplete game, then months later releasing a patch to fix all your mistakes is a dick move. If I pay full price for a game, I expect a complete game, not whatever they could squeak out by the deadline.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
injected11 said:
Master Mo said:

wub.gif
The problem is shitty developers. If that many bugs made it into the "final" version, numerous people either are horrible at their job, or they just plain didn't play-test anything. Releasing an incomplete game, then months later releasing a patch to fix all your mistakes is a dick move. If I pay full price for a game, I expect a complete game, not whatever they could squeak out by the deadline.

Well, Master Mo is right. Most games that are slow or buggy or glitchy get a patch that clears up most of the problems. You can't do that with Wii games so if you want to fix up a game, you have to send out a completely new copy.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
injected11 said:
As far as I know the bugs didn`t make the game unplayable (as I said: the reviews were pretty good) and content-wise the game hasn`t change, so the game was complete, when it got shipped a few months ago.

Really, I don`t care about graphics-power or DLC (which I think is more what you mean - like when a week or so their is already DLC available for a game) but in this time and age, something like patched should be possible with every console, at least with home-comsoles. If the Wii would be capable of patches maybe we could have seen older games patched with WM+-compatibility or something like this. It just bothers me, that there is no possibility to change the game, after its shippment...

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Master Mo said:
injected11 said:
As far as I know the bugs didn`t make the game unplayable (as I said: the reviews were pretty good) and content-wise the game hasn`t change, so the game was complete, when it got shipped a few months ago.

Really, I don`t care about graphics-power or DLC (which I think is more what you mean - like when a week or so their is already DLC available for a game) but in this time and age, something like patched should be possible with every console, at least with home-comsoles. If the Wii would be capable of patches maybe we could have seen older games patched with WM+-compatibility or something like this. It just bothers me, that there is no possibility to change the game, after its shippment...
I wasn't referring to DLC, but I understand how you drew that conclusion. What bothers me to no end is when I play a game and find several bugs from basic play (aka not trying to cheat or break things in-game) that clearly should have been found by the testers and fixed by whoever. It shows they don't care, and aren't doing their jobs, yet still expect to get paid the normal rate. If pushing back the release date means a completed and polished game, I'm all for it. Unfortunately, the companies rarely are. And yes, I understand I would have less of a reason to complain if the Wii allowed patches, but we wouldn't need patches if they fixed bugs before shoving it out the door.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!