Tales of Graces recalled in Japan

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
18,148
Trophies
0
Age
28
Location
The Danger Zone
XP
10,212
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Having to wait months and months for your favorite Japanese RPG titles to make the trip across the Pacific may be annoying. But there are occasional advantages.

One of those advantages showed today as Namco Bandai's Japanese parent announced a recall of Tales of Graces. The Wii RPG was released in December of last year and was found by many fans to be a buggy mess, particularly on a second play through.

While the game's issues have been known since last year, Namco Bandai waited until today to make official comment. It apologized to fans and promised to improve quality control in the future.

Japan-based players will be able to swap their current Tales of Graces disc with a new disc that fixes ten glaring bugs. Timing for the swap will be announced in the near future.

The swap will be done via the mail, with a delivery person handing over the new disc in exchange for the old one. Importers, this probably means you're out of luck. But for those who are waiting for a domestic release for Graces, you can probably expect the bug free code.

Source

Hm, feels like someone was rushing this release...
 

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
3,808
Trophies
0
Age
34
Website
Visit site
XP
722
Country
United States
Most of the bugs aren't detrimental just annoying but I recall two that nearly crashed my game. At least we all got an apology and the promise of better control unlike Toyota.
 

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Messages
2,181
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Man Mo Temple
XP
381
Country
Germany
That`s the problem with the Wii. With other console there would have been a patch to get rid of the bugs!

The game still looked great and the japanese reviews were pretty good as well. Hopefully someday it will be released over here as well
wub.gif
 

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2009
Messages
1,776
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
152
Country
United States
Master Mo said:
That`s the problem with the Wii. With other console there would have been a patch to get rid of the bugs!

The game still looked great and the japanese reviews were pretty good as well. Hopefully someday it will be released over here as well
wub.gif
The problem is shitty developers. If that many bugs made it into the "final" version, numerous people either are horrible at their job, or they just plain didn't play-test anything. Releasing an incomplete game, then months later releasing a patch to fix all your mistakes is a dick move. If I pay full price for a game, I expect a complete game, not whatever they could squeak out by the deadline.
 

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
18,148
Trophies
0
Age
28
Location
The Danger Zone
XP
10,212
Country
United States
injected11 said:
Master Mo said:
That`s the problem with the Wii. With other console there would have been a patch to get rid of the bugs!

The game still looked great and the japanese reviews were pretty good as well. Hopefully someday it will be released over here as well
wub.gif
The problem is shitty developers. If that many bugs made it into the "final" version, numerous people either are horrible at their job, or they just plain didn't play-test anything. Releasing an incomplete game, then months later releasing a patch to fix all your mistakes is a dick move. If I pay full price for a game, I expect a complete game, not whatever they could squeak out by the deadline.

Well, Master Mo is right. Most games that are slow or buggy or glitchy get a patch that clears up most of the problems. You can't do that with Wii games so if you want to fix up a game, you have to send out a completely new copy.
 

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Messages
2,181
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Man Mo Temple
XP
381
Country
Germany
injected11 said:
The problem is shitty developers. If that many bugs made it into the "final" version, numerous people either are horrible at their job, or they just plain didn't play-test anything. Releasing an incomplete game, then months later releasing a patch to fix all your mistakes is a dick move. If I pay full price for a game, I expect a complete game, not whatever they could squeak out by the deadline.
As far as I know the bugs didn`t make the game unplayable (as I said: the reviews were pretty good) and content-wise the game hasn`t change, so the game was complete, when it got shipped a few months ago.

Really, I don`t care about graphics-power or DLC (which I think is more what you mean - like when a week or so their is already DLC available for a game) but in this time and age, something like patched should be possible with every console, at least with home-comsoles. If the Wii would be capable of patches maybe we could have seen older games patched with WM+-compatibility or something like this. It just bothers me, that there is no possibility to change the game, after its shippment...
 

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2009
Messages
1,776
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
152
Country
United States
Master Mo said:
injected11 said:
The problem is shitty developers. If that many bugs made it into the "final" version, numerous people either are horrible at their job, or they just plain didn't play-test anything. Releasing an incomplete game, then months later releasing a patch to fix all your mistakes is a dick move. If I pay full price for a game, I expect a complete game, not whatever they could squeak out by the deadline.
As far as I know the bugs didn`t make the game unplayable (as I said: the reviews were pretty good) and content-wise the game hasn`t change, so the game was complete, when it got shipped a few months ago.

Really, I don`t care about graphics-power or DLC (which I think is more what you mean - like when a week or so their is already DLC available for a game) but in this time and age, something like patched should be possible with every console, at least with home-comsoles. If the Wii would be capable of patches maybe we could have seen older games patched with WM+-compatibility or something like this. It just bothers me, that there is no possibility to change the game, after its shippment...
I wasn't referring to DLC, but I understand how you drew that conclusion. What bothers me to no end is when I play a game and find several bugs from basic play (aka not trying to cheat or break things in-game) that clearly should have been found by the testers and fixed by whoever. It shows they don't care, and aren't doing their jobs, yet still expect to get paid the normal rate. If pushing back the release date means a completed and polished game, I'm all for it. Unfortunately, the companies rarely are. And yes, I understand I would have less of a reason to complain if the Wii allowed patches, but we wouldn't need patches if they fixed bugs before shoving it out the door.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
    kenenthk @ kenenthk: Why diapers when you can recycle fabric