Gaming Tales of Graces kinda unpopular...

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
The torrents I've seen aren't very lively, even ones on Japanese sites. Then I read somewhere it's also one of the worst selling Tales games. Are people just getting tired of the series, or is there something wrong with the game?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game's been out for only a short while, why people are already dubbing it the worst selling Tales game is a mystery to me.

Anyway, it got a 36/40 from Famitsu (even if they're not reliable for most of us, that equals a 9/10) and sold over 140,000 copies in it's first week.

Also, for all you guys and girls waiting for an American or European release, don't hold your breath. It probably won't happen.

hughjass

Trophies
Website
www.marcreeves.co.uk
XP
Country
I'd never even heard of it
smile.gif

Never really played any of the tales games, but I'm a massive RPG fan, so I've always wanted to. In fact I have the last one for wii on my HD at the moment, but still haven't gotten round to playing it.

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its because it is on the Wii. They will likely port it to PS3 now and it will sell very well now. The japanese RPG audience has moved on already. Tales of Vesperia on PS3, which is a year old port, outsold tales of graces by a large margin. Its just the way it is.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gotta question for Tales fans. Do they all play like Symphonia? I tried to get into it, but it was just like watching a really bad anime, and not so much like playing a game.

I've recently gotten an xbox, and people keep recommending the other Tales Of*'s to me, but I'm afraid the Tales Of series really is just a big emo anime with 3 minutes of gameplay splashed in sporadically.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't understand why nobody is bringing Tales over in this generation... hell, they did in the past two, didn't they? Also:

Ossot said:
I gotta question for Tales fans. Do they all play like Symphonia? I tried to get into it, but it was just like watching a really bad anime, and not so much like playing a game.
Perhaps if you spent more than an hour with the game? Symphonia is a game that builds on you, rather than desperately trying to gratificate you in the first hour like the average Squaresoft game. It is one of the best console RPGs ever, much better than most Final Fantasies.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, i have a good 10+ hour playtime. I didn't mean to sound combative with my question. I'm sure tales of is a great series. It just seemed from my little playtime that the gameplay was split between grinding and watching anime, with very little segway.

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
most rpg's your grind. that's the way they are designed.

but i have a good 20hours+ on tales of graces and i am liking it alot. but will have to try to finish it soon with my copy of FFXIII coming in this week. so far with this game, they have changed the battle system a little for a 3d tales of game. you can free run, but it costs cc so you can't do it forever. the story has less exploration in than other tales of games. but that makes the game easy to follow if you play the game. you get from point a to b easily. every character is a battle character, like the Tales of the abyss characters. overall this game is one of the top tales of games.

tales of symphonia (not the ToS:KoR) is one of the better tales of games. ToS:KoR is for people that loved Symphonia, becuase it built upon that story line pretty well. if you played it as a standalone then you would be dissapointed.

tales of Vesparia for the xbox360 is supposed to be a very good game and it is another game that i have recently bought for the ps3.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Guild McCommunist said:
The game's been out for only a short while, why people are already dubbing it the worst selling Tales game is a mystery to me.

Anyway, it got a 36/40 from Famitsu (even if they're not reliable for most of us, that equals a 9/10) and sold over 140,000 copies in it's first week.

Also, for all you guys and girls waiting for an American or European release, don't hold your breath. It probably won't happen.

frown.gif

Hopefully someone translates it, although I doubt even that. I could really do with a good RPG on the Wii.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
delta123 said:

well ofc. I'm no 15 year old, i've been playing RPGs for a long time. I'm just saying the tales of* series seems like FFX on roids (cutscene / dialog wise)

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ossot said:
delta123 said:

well ofc. I'm no 15 year old, i've been playing RPGs for a long time. I'm just saying the tales of* series seems like FFX on roids (cutscene / dialog wise)
Strange that you got this impression... I do not recall having to grind for more than 4 or so hours out of the 80 that the game lasted me to be beaten at 100%. Actually, I could have avoided a lot of the enemy groups, since the game allows you to do that, but I fought with them just because how much fun the ToS battle system is. If it gets repetitive, you can just switch everything around and do different moves with different characters and consequently learn new skills from that. There are also lots of ways to combine EX, and some meaningful character customization, what with the plethora of titles to be earned. The little tidbits the characters say in battle are endearing, and the story just builds up so much once you get past the 15 hour mark... it's baffling. Plus all the sidequests, and let's not forget the awesome chatacter development.

The only FF I can compare this game to in any way is FFVIII, which to me is by far the best FF. Both games go out of the standard battle formula just to make them feel more meaningful and extensible.

That's why I find it weird for somebody to say that. This is basically the only game ever that made me want to do battles, other than FFVIII.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quepaso said:
Its because it is on the Wii. They will likely port it to PS3 now and it will sell very well now. The japanese RPG audience has moved on already. Tales of Vesperia on PS3, which is a year old port, outsold tales of graces by a large margin. Its just the way it is.

Vesperia has a 2 month head start. Graces hasn't even been out for a month. You're making grand assumptions purely because all I've seen you do is troll Wii threads and blab about the PS3 and how great it is.

Not to mention the PS3 doesn't have piracy like at all. The Wii does, and it's quite easy.

DSPanther

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:

The game will come to NA atleast, I'm sure of it.

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
quepaso said:

Vesperia has a 2 month head start. Graces hasn't even been out for a month. You're making grand assumptions purely because all I've seen you do is troll Wii threads and blab about the PS3 and how great it is.

Not to mention the PS3 doesn't have piracy like at all. The Wii does, and it's quite easy.

You only play games if you can pirate them? What kind of pathetic loser are you?

DSPanther

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tropicana said:
It's a Tales game. As much as I love the games, it's not going to come over.

Heck, I had to import my copy of ToV for PS3.

But Vesperia will come to NA aswell!
wink.gif
It may take a while but it will come, you'll see. Tales of Symphonia 2 came, it was a sequel made by a B-team and it still came. Sold almost as much here as in Japan, they need the NA sales. Especially with ToGraces which has cost a lot more to develop than ToS2.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quepaso said:
Guild McCommunist said:
quepaso said:

You only play games if you can pirate them? What kind of pathetic loser are you?

Where'd you get that from? What I mean is that a chunk of Wii games aren't sold because people pirate them, especially the more hardcore ones. Seeing as this is rather popular and that it's more common for hardcore gamers to have a hacked Wii instead of casual ones, it's safe to assume that piracy hits this title's sales harder than the PS3 (which has 0% piracy). Calling me a pathetic loser because you can't even understand what I was clearly stating is just pathetic in itself.

C175R

GBAtemp Pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well idk if its popular or not but its a REALLY good game. I haven't finish it yet so I can't say anything about the ending...
but it even has its bundle
set.jpg

and also it only came like month ago...so maybe its popular in Japan and people are actually buying it?
or people don't know that it came out on torrents already or something...

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
quepaso said:
Guild McCommunist said:
quepaso said:

Where'd you get that from? What I mean is that a chunk of Wii games aren't sold because people pirate them, especially the more hardcore ones. Seeing as this is rather popular and that it's more common for hardcore gamers to have a hacked Wii instead of casual ones, it's safe to assume that piracy hits this title's sales harder than the PS3 (which has 0% piracy). Calling me a pathetic loser because you can't even understand what I was clearly stating is just pathetic in itself.

Thats nice and dandy, but i follow the japanese sales charts weekly and am in contact with many friends in japan who tell me what the locals are discussing. The RPG crowd has moved on and is now settled onto the PS3 for console RPGs. Whats left for the wii is what is selling on the wii, the mini games, nintendo flagship titles and anything with mario in the name. Oh and Wii ____ Titles. Games that gamers want to play will be on the PS3 for the most part.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off