Taking Electronics to China for Trip

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by DjFIL, Nov 27, 2008.

  1. DjFIL

    DjFIL GBAtemp Maniac

    May 29, 2003
    BC, Canada
    I am traveling to China over Christmas and New Years... I'm very excited. But I want to make sure I can bring my MacBook, DS, iPod, Pacemaker DJ Unit. Only ones I guess I really have to worry about are my DS and MacBook as the others can charge via USB. Can anyone suggest an adapter so I can safely use my electronics in China. I understand the plugs are different, but also the voltage/current is different. Any assistance would be appreciated. I've found items on dealextreme.com, but I'm worried they won't do anything about the voltage/current.... need to figure that all out.

  2. Raestloz

    Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

    Feb 7, 2008
    The World of Illusion
    What does an adapter in Canada look like?

    I remember that Chinese adapters have 3 holes, here in Indonesia we have 2 holes, ususally an extension adapter is used.

    My DS is said to be "to be sold only in Canada USA and mexico" and has 2 sticks on the adapter, does that mean Canadian electronic devices has 2 sticks too?

    That said, you can go and get some extension adapters, they won't cost much and think there's no problem with voltage, my devices works fine
  3. BiscuitBee

    BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

    Jul 30, 2008
    Having done the EXACT same trip that passed February, you'll need to know the following:

    Are your devices world compatible?

    I can vouch for the DS that the charger is compatible with 120v and 220v so you'll only need a plug ADAPTER.

    As for your iPod and MacBook, you can check on your power adaptors to see if are world-compatible. If it says INPUT: 120V... it probably isn't. It will usually give you a large range for 100-240V if it is compatible. If they are not, you will need a VOLTAGE CONVERTER. This is important so you don't fry your stuff.

    Where will you be going in China?

    Mainland China and Hong Kong had different plugs. I even think Beijing has tilted prongs and Shanghai had the same as ours in Canada. HK had the british plug. Any decent ADAPTERand VOLTAGE CONVERTER will be able to support all of them. They'll like something from transformers!

    What does the ADAPTER look like?

    I actually have a similar looking on to this, only it is white. I purchased mine at Wal-Mart for $15 or so.

    Voltage Converter: Step up or step down?

    You would probably be best off with one that does both.

    NOTE: Do not use a hair straightener or hair dryer with a voltage converter! Unless you have a very high WATT rating on it, it will probably melt your converter. It is cheaper just to buy a travel hair straightener or dryer... and less risky

    In the end, I only really needed a converter for the products that I brought to China: Nintendo DS, iPod Photo (didn't have I iPod touch yet!), and camera charger. All of which were world compatible and I didn't need to worry about voltage.
  4. DjFIL

    DjFIL GBAtemp Maniac

    May 29, 2003
    BC, Canada
    I will be in Shanghai, main city. That's it. I've read on the Apple forum, and now reading on my power supply, it too is 100-240v and 50-60hz... so that sounds fine. But looking at my DS AC adapter, it doesn't mention 220v at all. Umm, it says...

    USG-002 (JPN/USA)
    (a line)
    [jap] USG-001 [jap]
    (start a box)
    [jap] hosiden JQA
    input: AC100V 50/60hz 8va [in a diamond, PSE]
    output: DC 5.2V 450mA
    (end the box)
    input: AC120V 60hz 4w
    output: dc 5.2V 450mA
    (a line)
    class 2 power supply
    for use with usg-001

    blah blah blah. [jap] of course means japanese characters i don't understand.

    so again it doesn't mention 220v... sure it'll still be ok?

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice