Taking apart the WII for modchip installation.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by crumpster, Jan 30, 2007.

Jan 30, 2007
  1. crumpster
    OP

Newcomer crumpster Advanced Member

Well its time to start looking into taking apart the Wii for the modchip installation. So far this, http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=677908&rl=1 is the best guide I've found. I've also found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shLqQitbdZI video of someone taking it apart but its bad quality. If you have any good pics / docs on taking it apart post here. I've got the games ready to play, now its time to learn how to take apart the system and practice soldering.

English text video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8epujddQTc&eurl=

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Just do yourself a favor and practice soldering on something other than your Wii. Get an old CD player or something that wouldn't be too expensive or difficult to replace and take that apart for your practice.

3. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    i cant believe you ppl would do that to a wiiiiii !

i never go for first generation chips they will get bypassed soon im going to wait a year or two then go nuts !

4. crumpster
    OP

You says, Why do it? I say Why not... its my wii and I can do with it as I please. Anyways, I'm waiting for a clone to be released and I'm going to practice soldering on some old electronics.

5. directive0

Member directive0 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I aint going with any first gen chips either, but I DO appreciate the links! Thanks!

6. yatzr

Member yatzr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    for anyone that may need the tri-wing screwdrivers, I recommend this 32 piece security bit set for $12 (shipping is probably ~$6 [​IMG] ) .
    http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...roductId=223829
    includes
    I like using these bits better than precision screwdrivers because I can use my big fat screwdriver with a good grip. I haven't looked too hard, but this is the only place I've seen a whole set of security bits.

7. capt.fruitcake

Newcomer capt.fruitcake Advanced Member

Netherlands
    euh the viper gc was a first gen chip and worked an all models of nintendo gc. It doesn't seem was too eager in the past to stop piracy on there consoles by changing hardware production, unlike the new x-box 360 sammy ms 28 drives

8. ds_barf

Newcomer ds_barf Advanced Member

Netherlands
    dude, the chip costs less then a game - even if you just can play the next 40 games for free, than it's still a win [​IMG] And if in time an upgradable chips comes out, than you can buy that one. Because otherwise you would buy a game for that money [​IMG]

Btw, is it possible to open and install a chip without losing you guarantee?

9. crumpster
    OP

ummm, NO

10. ds_barf

Newcomer ds_barf Advanced Member

Netherlands
    ah well [​IMG]

11. kdanarch

Newcomer kdanarch Advanced Member

United States
    You can't retain your warranty, but if you buy a backup system, that warranty will still last [​IMG]

And not to mention you get an extra controller/nunchuk combo out of the screw-up [​IMG]

12. poisonousj

Member poisonousj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    my tri-wing screwdriver came in the mail today, and thanks to the guide above my Wii is open and ready for my Wiinja... now if only it would hurry up and get here!