1. gooblygoo

OP gooblygoo Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi everyone. I have a region exclusive (not from my country) New 2DS XL as well as my normal New 2DS XL from my country.

I want to take my consoles apart and swap out their motherboards with each other, so that I’m essentially using this region exclusive console’s case with my main console’s internal stuff.

*I am assuming that the motherboard is what dictates which region the games can be used on. If not, please clarify.

I have several questions about this: is this doable? Are there any things I should know?

I also have a question about the battery, as well:

My 2DSes use different charging voltages which doesn’t affect me as my country’s voltage is lower than the other DS’s asking input.

My question is when you fry a DS, is that solely due to the power outlet? Are all DSes internally the same and I have nothing to worry about and/or nothing to swap?

Any info or advice would be great. I apologize for the stupid questions - I am a newbie. Thank you for reading regardless!

2. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Germany
    It should be possible to swap the motherboards and as far as I know the region is only determined by the motherboard.
    BUT: if you’re not careful, you might break things. I personally would never take any DS apart without a good reason (repair) and do not recommend doing such a thing if you’re not experienced.
    There are many small and very fragile (!) retaining flaps / zero insertion force (ZIF) wire-to-board connectors holding ribbon cables. However answering your question: There is a guide on ifixit.com. You would have to stop at step 19 because this guide takes the N2DSXL further apart.
    If you just want to use out-of-region games, installing custom firmware is a much better idea.

Unfortunately Nintendo does not produce chargers with a wide voltage input range like it’s common for phones and laptops (this is so stupid; what if someone goes on vacation with a DS?).
    So you DO need a charger for your country's voltage. Third party chargers might have wide input range. The output of the charger (which is the input for your N2DSXL) is – as far as I know – the same around the world. Just read the input voltage ratings on the back covers of your N2DSXL-systems to make extra-sure.
    A 220V-240V charger will most likely do nothing on a 115V power outlet.
    A 110V-120V charger will (in the worst case) make booom on 230V power outlet.
    Charger.jpeg
    Grrr. Typo in the picture.

TurdPooCharger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Taking, apart,