Taking apart a GBC/GB/GBA cartrage

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by sconethief, Oct 21, 2008.

Oct 21, 2008
  1. sconethief
    OP

Member sconethief GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I need help taking one of my cartridges apart. that darn screw in the middle of all of them is impossible to get out [​IMG] >< Any suggestions on how to get it out? BTW i'm i'm turning one of my games into a flash stick..

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I ended up using a particularly thin needlenose pliers, along with basically destroying the plastic around it in order to get a good enough grip. I game didn't boot at all so I didn't really care about screwing up the cartridge.

3. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    GB/GBC carts take a gamebit driver (3.88mm version, the 4.5mm version is for opening other things, like systems). These are usually sold as a bit that you attach to a driver shaft, so if you don't already have a shaft, keep in mind that you'd need to order or otherwise get ahold of one.

GBA carts take a triwing driver. These usually are just sold as a complete driver.

If you need to get the carts open without damage, those are the best way to go. You should be able to find them online. They aren't expensive. I don't really know the rules about linking to places that sell them, but I found them easily enough with google, so it shouldn't be too hard.

4. sconethief
    OP

United States
    mkay thanks for the hints [​IMG] I also heard of the Bic pen trick but i have no Idea what it is and google didn't help >

5. dewback

Member dewback GBAtemp Regular

United States

6. sconethief
    OP

United States
    cool.. what kind of bic pen? link to a pic of the bic pen trick or even better, a video.

7. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    http://www.bicworld.com/inter_en/bdd/produ...?product_id=130

I used that type of pen to mixed results before I went ahead and ordered the gamebits. I was using it to open my SNES, though, not GB games, so maybe you'll have better results.

You heat the end of the pen up, until it's soft and melty, then shove it over the screw, and let it harden over the screw. If you did it right, it should now be the right shape to fit on the screws.

I only got a few uses out of mine before it got worn out, so maybe have an extra pen or two nearby just in case.

8. sconethief
    OP

United States
    nice [​IMG] Which end? the end with the tip of the pen, or the back with nothing on it?