Takes ages to get into forum on first boot

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't know if I'm the only one having this problem or not but thought I'd report it anyway just in case someone can help me solve it. Whenever I first boot my pc up and log onto the temp it takes up to 5 mins to get into the forum. It's been doing it for a few weeks now. It usually just sits there with a blue screen, it displays the site name in the browser tab/title bar but then it seems to hang. If I leave it sat there it eventually displays after anything up to 5 mins.

For weeks it's just been a blue screen but today I actually got an error message. The error message displayed was

"IPB WARNING [2] memcache_connect() [function.memcache-connect]: Can't connect to 94.23.33.154:11211, Connection refused (111) (Line: 89 of /ips_kernel/class_cache_memcache.php)"

Anyone know what the problem could be, is it a bug or is it something on my end? It does the same thing in Opera, Firefox and IE. I've got no firewall running apart from the one on the router and I'm using Avira antivir. Once I'm on the site it works fine until the next reboot/power down.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The IPB error happened not too long ago with me. I haven't found any slowdowns when I first boot up my PC and go here, but I do notice it occasionally if I'm going from like a forum post to the front page or something like that.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
The IPB error was just a random bug that poped up today and was quickly fixed by Costello. As for the site loading up slowly on boot up I haven't experienced that myself, it may just be an issue with your browser.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah i was having it too bit now its fixed
smile.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
The IPB error was just a random bug that poped up today and was quickly fixed by Costello. As for the site loading up slowly on boot up I haven't experienced that myself, it may just be an issue with your browser.

Cheers p1ngy! I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling but after that I don't really know where to start looking, any ideas what it might be?

D

Deleted User

It would not let me in to Gabtemps website for about 10 mins, it is fixed now
smile.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
TrolleyDave do you have browser caching disabled or something?
you can also try pinging the site and see if you have a latency issue with your ISP...

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I uninstalled and reinstalled Opera and Firefox and it's letting me in straight away again now so something must have screwed up the settings somewhere (should've thought to do it before, d'oh!), but it's kind of slow. I think you're right about it being a latency issue with my ISP Costy. In the status bar in Firefox it sits on "Transferring data from gbatemp.net" for ages before the page is finally finished loading.

I'm not sure if it's the right way to do it but I used a CL util called http-ping to ping the site and it gave some terrible results.

"Minimum = 1129ms, Maximum = 1418ms, Average = 1317ms"

I'll get on to BT about it.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
TrolleyDave said:
I'm not sure if it's the right way to do it but I used a CL util called http-ping to ping the site and it gave some terrible results.

Yikes thats pretty bad Dave, I just pinged the site and I get this on my end.

"Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 51ms, Average = 42ms"

I used the standard command line method of pinging by the way.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
TrolleyDave said:

That's definitely a much better ping time. What's the standard command line way of pinging?

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
TrolleyDave said:
p1ngpong said:
TrolleyDave said:

That's definitely a much better ping time. What's the standard command line way of pinging?

Oh yeah sorry, just type "ping www.gbatemp.net" in the command line box, without the "".

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm, using that way I get pretty similar results. It seems to be working great again at the minute though. The weird thing about it is when it's having the problem the front page and the reviews works perfectly, it's just that the forum itself that has the problem. Seems to be sorted for now though. Cheers for helping us mate, much appreciated, and to you as well Costy. I'm gonna phone up BT tomorrow though and find out if they've been working on the network around here or something.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
IPB WARNING [2] memcache_connect() [function.memcache-connect]: Can't connect to 94.23.33.154:11211, Connection refused (111) (Line: 89 of /ips_kernel/class_cache_memcache.php
Ehh... Actually I got this error as well, but you don't need to uninstall or anything. I just removed all my cookies from gbatemp.net and it worked fine.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here