Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind their games. They did help bring out Max Payne 2 and the PC/360 versions of Oblivion (not PS3 strangely enough).

Also, it's funny few games of theirs have "gibs" or much for actual gore despite the so-called controversy. If you headshot someone in San Andreas, their head may disappear... But nothing like Doom 3 and F.E.A.R. where the body can explode.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Concluded Zelnick, "there are other titles better suited to the Wii than Grand Theft Auto."
Yes, titles with actual, you know, gameplay. Strip GTA of all its shiny graphics, and a certain lack of pretty much anything else starts to show.

"GTA on the PS3: pretty graphics and not much else. GTA on a Wii: not much (else)." Yeees, I'm starting to see why they wouldn't be interested on making a Wii version.
nyanya.gif

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
With the exception of the first two GTA games by DMA Design, I never got into the series after those, I've never understood the hype and joy people get from playing those games

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Actually all the GTA released 'till today look like crap, they're fun to play basically because it's a huge sandbox to play with..that and the radio stations
tongue.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I've actually completed ANY GTA game, I just like messing about. One of the reasons the GBA one was a let down as you couldn't really have fun messing about. The 4th one doesn't look like fun to me either sadly, unless there is some kinda of cheat that turns everyone into a zombie so I can pretend its Carmegeddon and Dawn of the Dead.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't say I read anything in the article I'd disagree with. Though I wouldn't mind seeing a ton of mature content on the Wii, they know who butters their bread on the system, and it's not GTA fans, for the most part. It's unfortunate, but hopefully newcomers to gaming who bought a Wii will be quick to learn what's good and what to beware of. The demographic though that Nintendo is aiming for (and hitting head-on) includes a lot of folks who do little to no research and merely buy games they see in the glass shelf at Wallyworld. More and more the system is beginning to remind me of the Atari 2600.
frown.gif

SpiritBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Can't say I read anything in the article I'd disagree with. Though I wouldn't mind seeing a ton of mature content on the Wii, they know who butters their bread on the system, and it's not GTA fans, for the most part. It's unfortunate, but hopefully newcomers to gaming who bought a Wii will be quick to learn what's good and what to beware of. The demographic though that Nintendo is aiming for (and hitting head-on) includes a lot of folks who do little to no research and merely buy games they see in the glass shelf at Wallyworld. More and more the system is beginning to remind me of the Atari 2600.Â
frown.gif
My god. Another E.T?
In all honesty, Nintendo did a smart move releasing a weak system (...like always), but trying to focus on the fun factor. Although I wouldn't mind seeing great 360 graphics on the Wii, it would make the Wii cost more and thus losing it's charm.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Actually all the GTA released 'till today look like crap, they're fun to play basically because it's a huge sandbox to play with..that and the radio stations
tongue.gif
QFT

- Sam
The fact that they looked like crap doesn't mean they didn't do their (pathetic) best at trying to make it look good. Also, I remember reviews going on about "amazing graphics" and "great facial animations", in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Of course, there was the "sandbox" approach, meaning that in between missions you could do whatever you wanted, provided all you wanted was drive aimlessly while listening to the radio, and maybe shoot people. Yes, it was fun, but only for a little while, and after you've provoked the army to start hunting you and then stolen a tank for the third time in a row, the attraction palled somewhat. Still, it was a sort of fun way to pass some time. This, however, got you nowhere, because despite all the "nonlinearity" hype, the path of progress through the game was pretty much set in stone.

Okay, so we have a relatively fun sandbox in which to play aimlessly, and somewhere in the middle of it, and entirely unrelated with what we do in our "free time", an actual storyline with actual missions. And it was actually fun for the first couple of hours. The problem was that every other game only added a new storyline, and nothing else. "Sequel" hardly seems like an appropriate word when "expansion set" jumps so readily to mind. Everything is pretty much the same, but with a few extra missions. Unfortunately, all the fun ran out in the first game, and the only purpose of "sandbox", is having a break from missions, and the only thing you did was drive around and listen to the radio (the only part of the game that's actually new in every sequel), because stealing yet more tanks gets old really fast.

GTA 4? Case in point. What has changed since GTA 3? The resolution. It's HD now. Anything else? Not really. "GTA 4 is yet another GTA clone" sums it up pretty well. We've all played it before. All it has to offer now is better visuals.

Now consider a Wii version. It couldn't have sparkly shiny new graphics. Not that the Wii is incapable of shiny pretty graphics, mind you, it's just that those require work. So, gloss is out, what are we left with? GTA 3. Um, been there. People are already complaining about having to pay again for games they paid for already on older consoles; I sincerely doubt they would be willing to pay again for GTA 3. They'd be better off playing the original on PS2. Okay, a Wii version could have some actual novel content, or Wiimote-specific controls, like the Godfather. Only... no, too much work again, for the measly profit derived from the few thousand Wii owners who would actually buy the game (because between people who would download it instead of buying and the typical/intended Wii owner, i.e. your mother who wouldn't play it at all, several thousand is an optimistic estimate). Any possible Wii version would be some half-assed byproduct hammered together from old PS2 versions.

So, yeah. A new GTA on other consoles can offer good looks and not much else. A GTA on a Wii could offer... nothing much. Seen it. Old. No point. We've had all the fun that can be had in a sandbox, and all that's left now is the cat excrement.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got Vice City on the PC. All I ever did was ride around on a motorcycle as fast as I could while listening to the custom MP3 radio station.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho you have a point but I'm fed up of these endless mini game compilations that plague our Nintendo consoles and it would be nice if certain publishers gave the Wii a bit more respect and bothered giving us games that stretch the Wii to its limits. It may not be GTA which has just been doing the same thing ever since it went 3D but it would be nice if these companies just stopped these comments.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Carnival Games sold half a million already
ohmy.gif
. there's no need for developers wasting time on decent games when shit ones sell so well.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I love how all you Nintendo fanboys start trashing on a game just because it isn't going to come out on a Nintendo console.

I bet a tonne of you played and enjoyed the recent GTA games and as I've stated before if a GTA the quality of any of the PSP games came out on the DS you would be singing it's praises no end.

Anyways I know I'm going to have heaps of fun playing the new GTA.

D

Deleted User

As soon as I saw the thread title I knew this would be about that statement.
smile.gif
I actually wanted to post something useful but veho pretty much posted everything I thought of in a much nicer way. I don't like the arrogance of Take Two but I also think GTA not coming out for Wii is a loss because I couldn't get into any of the 3D GTA games anyway. I played the PSP ones for about 10 minutes combined and tried some of the other ones on PC/PS2 but they somehow lost their charme.

With the exception of the first two GTA games by DMA Design, I never got into the series after those, I've never understood the hype and joy people get from playing those games
QFT. The first two were the best (this is including the London 1969 expansion)! I played them for hours and even though I did, I have to admit that I have done about 3-5 missions in each. I mostly enjoyed messing around.

Anyways, that's just my two cents.

Knab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

i have to agree with that i enjoyed the first one the most, when i see monks in the mall( yes i have seen them 3 times now) i have an erg to grab a blowtorch and burn em....dont know why....
tongue.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how all you Nintendo fanboys start trashing on a game just because it isn't going to come out on a Nintendo console.

I bet a tonne of you played and enjoyed the recent GTA games and as I've stated before if a GTA the quality of any of the PSP games came out on the DS you would be singing it's praises no end.

Anyways I know I'm going to have heaps of fun playing the new GTA.

My two-cents worth? You should read posts more thoroughly.

I don't think anyone is hating on the GTA series. Quite the opposite, actually. We're comisserating on the fact that there seems to be no GTA in store for the Wii (or DS, for that matter).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn