Take-Two cancels unannounced $53 million game in development by Mafia III studio

jkjjj.png

The latest game from Hanger 13, the team behind Mafia III, will not see the light of day. Publisher Take-Two has reportedly cancelled the unannounced title, according to an insider report from Bloomberg's Jason Schreier. He claimed that prior to its cancellation, the game was referred to with the working title of Volt, was to feature superheroes, would have online play. In an earnings statement, Take-Two said it would be losing $53 million as a result of ending the development of "Volt", which had been in the works since 2017.

Employees of Hangar 13, which also is owned by Take-Two and based in Novato, California, will meet Thursday to discuss next steps for the studio. Take-Two didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

:arrow: Source

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The latest game from Hanger 13, the team behind Mafia III, will not see the light of day. Publisher Take-Two has reportedly cancelled the unannounced title, ... would have online play... which had been in the works since 2017.​
Gee boy whizz. I could never have guessed this.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've already sunk 53 million into a game you may as well finish it at the very least.
Right? If we're just going to flush 53 million away at the expense of the hard work of many people, can we just have not bothered to try and make the game to begin with and just give me one of those millions? Is that too much to ask?

• Haha
Reactions: Maq47

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am actually really shocked a studio had the integrity to not release a crappy game

How often do we see crappy broken games released at full price

I do feel bad for everyone that worked on the title, makes you wonder if a covid hiatus really killed the momentum of this project

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way some of these game projects have gone lately it may have cost more than another $53 million to finish. Shockingly, it may have actually been cheaper to cut their losses. I have to wonder what the development costs of Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 have crept up to. Considering Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 just got pushed back until 2023, I'd image those are pretty ridiculous as well.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The Mafia 1 remake was a huge hit for me, so as far as I’m concerned Hangar redeemed themselves from... whatever Mafia 3 was supposed to be. Keep doing what you’re doing, I’d like more of the same.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am actually really shocked a studio had the integrity to not release a crappy game

How often do we see crappy broken games released at full price

I do feel bad for everyone that worked on the title, makes you wonder if a covid hiatus really killed the momentum of this project
Uh, like they did so great with Mafia III. Excuses.

Lazyt

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Another wasted project from very creative and amzing studio they should have disband and become more independet, those coroporate rules wont lead them anywhere

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
If you've already sunk 53 million into a game you may as well finish it at the very least.

Dunno why they would cancel it after putting so much money into the project. Damn shame.

Might as well release it, even if it sucks like Mafia III.

https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/the-sunk-cost-fallacy/

We have no ideia what would imply to to even make it barely functional. Might mean throwing another €50M at it, and to come out and people not buying it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse