Take care of old Wii these days

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by danielyoshisfc, Jul 11, 2016.

1. xcrazyboy92x

xcrazyboy92x Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2016
    United States
    Thanks for your advice!! I just turned off Wii Connect24 right now!! Anyway what's the best Flash Drive though!? I will be looking forward to get it at Amazon!!

2. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    If you can afford it, I would recommend getting a USB HDD rather than a flash drive so you can be sure to have enough space for as many Wii and GameCube games as you want and never have to use your disc drive again. There would be plenty of space for emulators and complete rom sets as well, though I suppose you'd still be able to fit a fair number of games on a 128gb flash drive if you want to go with that instead.

3. seijinshu

seijinshu ...

Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    I would go USB HDD if possible, but I use a 16GB micro center flash drive. Do not get any flash storage online. They can be fakes ones (claimed to be and shown on the computer a 128gb drive but really is 1gb and it ends up corrupting all of your data). Go into a micro center and pick up a 64gb flash drive for like 15 bucks.

4. UltraDolphinRevolution

UltraDolphinRevolution GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 30, 2016
    China
    Is it dangerous to use a vacuum cleaner to suck possible dust out of the Wii? I have never tried it and don't have any problems with my Wii. Just asking.

I do to my Laptop from time to time, otherwise it becomes too hot. But the Wii is more precious to me. ;)

5. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    The only possible issue with that is you could cause the fan to spin rapidly and that might physically damage it.

Earlier Wiis use about twice as much power as newer Wiis and produce a lot more heat. Nintendo made the Wii a lot more efficient with its newer revisions and the older ones do have problems with overheating. A newer Wii would solve any kind of issue with that.

Last edited by JacksonS, Aug 7, 2016
  6. seijinshu

seijinshu ...

Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    Hmm. I have a 2007 Wii and it does not have any overheating issues.

7. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Small note: RiiConect24 exists if you wanted WiiConnect24 functionality (sorry I shamelessly plug)
    Oh, and you can always open up the wii - as long as you dont start stabbing it with a sharp screwdriver you cant break it ;P

EDIT: like above I have a 2007 Wii and I've never found problems with it; there's a noise when I go on HBC with full title description, but that's something else

Last edited by PokeAcer, Aug 7, 2016
  8. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    It's a fact that the processors are larger and produce more heat in older Wiis, but if I remember correctly, the overheating occurs primarily when it's in standby mode with WiiConnect24 turned on because the fan isn't running in standby mode.

9. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    I don't get that and my Wii contains a WODE Jukebox too

10. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    Well that's great I guess? I'm sharing the facts so people know newer Wiis are more power efficient.

11. xcrazyboy92x

xcrazyboy92x Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2016
    United States
    I found a SanDisk 64GB Ultra 3.0 Flash Drive and it costs $15. But before I buy anything, I'm looking at the USB Devices Compatibility list to see which one works best for my Wii. Maybe a Lexar 64GB Jumpdrive S25 USB 3.0 will do and it cost a little bit more but it should work well with Homebrew and USB Loader. It just has to be formatted with FAT32 GUI formatter. Maybe I'll buy both of them and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by xcrazyboy92x, Aug 8, 2016
  12. xcrazyboy92x

xcrazyboy92x Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2016
    United States
    More like Sappy Memories!!

13. seijinshu

seijinshu ...

Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    I use NTFS on my USB drives. If you plan to use nintendont, but those games on your SD.

14. xcrazyboy92x

xcrazyboy92x Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2016
    United States
    I use a 4GB SD Card for my Wii but I have a 8GB SD Card though.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted