Hardware Take care of old Wii these days

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey-a guys! Can you help me?
My Wii is from May 2008 (8 years old already). Any tips to take more care of it?
- It overheats when a disc is inserted and reading/playing and if WiiConnect24 is enabled without disc,on standy mode
- It can't read at all the Super Smash Bros Brawl disc (the disc channel says it's an unknown disc,but it works directly on the Wii U) (if I try for a second time it "works")
- In software: I only have two VC games,HBC and d2x cios.
- It's power adapter is always connected to the electricity.
- It's upside down instead of upright. Is that bad?
So... any tips? :P

I have a Wii from 2007 or so, and mine is still kickin' like new.
I maintain it by:
  • My room is usually a cool and fairly dry environment.
  • I dust the shelf I keep it on fairly often, and because I run a fan in my room on a near constant basis, air circulation is good, which is an easy way to combat dust build up.
  • I also routinely check the console for dust, specifically both the air intake on the bottom and the fan on the back.
  • If I see any I suck the dust out with my mini-shop vac on a low setting, afterwards I wipe down the outside of the unit with a damp cloth and leave it in front of my fan to dry before plugging it back into my TV.
I do this with almost all consoles I keep in active use, which right now my Wii happens to be the only one I keep plugged into the TV. On the software side of things:
  • I keep the console's WiiConnect24 Off.
  • I leave nothing in the disk slot. (I do occasionally check to make sure it works, which it does, still reads dual layer stuff fine, actually.)
  • I load all games from an external USB hard drive.

Reactions: danielyoshisfc

danielyoshisfc

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a Wii from 2007 or so, and mine is still kickin' like new.
I maintain it by:
  • My room is usually a cool and fairly dry environment.
  • I dust the shelf I keep it on fairly often, and because I run a fan in my room on a near constant basis, air circulation is good, which is an easy way to combat dust build up.
  • I also routinely check the console for dust, specifically both the air intake on the bottom and the fan on the back.
  • If I see any I suck the dust out with my mini-shop vac on a low setting, afterwards I wipe down the outside of the unit with a damp cloth and leave it in front of my fan to dry before plugging it back into my TV.
I do this with almost all consoles I keep in active use, which right now my Wii happens to be the only one I keep plugged into the TV. On the software side of things:
  • I keep the console's WiiConnect24 Off.
  • I leave nothing in the disk slot. (I do occasionally check to make sure it works, which it does, still reads dual layer stuff fine, actually.)
  • I load all games from an external USB hard drive.
Thanks! I have it upright now and I found dust on it...
The Brawl disc still doesn't work though

Last edited by danielyoshisfc,

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a near launch (2007 with BootMii as boot2)
It still plays Project M fine (from disc and USB).
What I recommend for you:

Hardware Side:
  • Keep either vertical or horizontal on it's rubber feet
  • Keep air well circulated, especially when on or in standby
  • Keep a good Hard Drive (Flash Drive works, just make sure it is good quality like mine) plugged in for playing games (I use a 16GB Micro Center USB 2.0 Flash Drive and haven't had issues)
  • Keep a good quality SD card (I use a 16GB PNY card, works great, unless partition table gets fucked up, which happens when it is removed during reads or writes)
  • Keep all equipment accessible at all times (I stored away my sensor bar and Wii Remote stuff, and leave a GC Controller and memory card in for all usage of the system)
  • Clean out any dust from the outside (and/or inside) of the Wii
Software Side:
  • BootMii as Boot2 (If possible), Priiloader, and BootMii as IOS. 3 layers of protection are brilliant.
  • USBLoaderGX autoboot via Priiloader due to the fact that it has a Wii Menu mode, and it is navigable with GC controller and since it can blend your Wii NAND games with your USB games (When BootMii is installed, rename the bootmii folder to bootmii-not or something similar so Priiloader gets priority)
  • WiiConect24 disabled to disable standby and prevent overheating. It is pointless to leave enabled since it got discontinued back in 2013.
  • I would only have 1 or 2 cIOS to prevent issues.
  • Configure Priiloader to redirect Wii Menu to USBLoaderGX when you select it from home menu
  • Keep NAND backups in a safe place (with their keys as well)
Overall:
  • Do not brick (hard or soft) to have your Wii live a long and healthy life!

Last edited by seijinshu,

danielyoshisfc

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a near launch (2007 with BootMii as boot2)
It still plays Project M fine (from disc and USB).
What I recommend for you:

Hardware Side:
  • Keep either vertical or horizontal on it's rubber feet
  • Keep air well circulated, especially when on or in standby
  • Keep a good Hard Drive (Flash Drive works, just make sure it is good quality like mine) plugged in for playing games (I use a 16GB Micro Center USB 2.0 Flash Drive and haven't had issues)
  • Keep a good quality SD card (I use a 16GB PNY card, works great, unless partition table gets fucked up, which happens when it is removed during reads or writes)
  • Keep all equipment accessible at all times (I stored away my sensor bar and Wii Remote stuff, and leave a GC Controller and memory card in for all usage of the system)
  • Clean out any dust from the outside (and/or inside) of the Wii
Software Side:
  • BootMii as Boot2 (If possible), Priiloader, and BootMii as IOS. 3 layers of protection are brilliant.
  • USBLoaderGX autoboot via Priiloader due to the fact that it has a Wii Menu mode, and it is navigable with GC controller and since it can blend your Wii NAND games with your USB games (When BootMii is installed, rename the bootmii folder to bootmii-not or something similar so Priiloader gets priority)
  • WiiConect24 disabled to disable standby and prevent overheating. It is pointless to leave enabled since it got discontinued back in 2013.
  • I would only have 1 or 2 cIOS to prevent issues.
  • Configure Priiloader to redirect Wii Menu to USBLoaderGX when you select it from home menu
  • Keep NAND backups in a safe place (with their keys as well)
Overall:
  • Do not brick (hard or soft) to have your Wii live a long and healthy life!

Thanks mate! :)

danielyoshisfc

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
lay is down! the motors will need less power to spin the discs!
Well,it goes slower when it's horizontally and has a lot of noise for some reason... which doesn't happen when it's vertically

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I use CFG USB Loader and a 5 years old 16GB Kingston USB Flash drive and I have BootMii.
All my games on the drive are backups of my physical discs (for example both Super Mario Galaxy games or Mario Kart Wii) :)

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
are you sure you cleaned to wii?, opened it to see if there's nothing inside? since a child thought once that it would also do as a money bank... this caused about the same desciption as you discribe... there were about 5 euro's inside the wii... the discs got damaged, but the wii itself survived the operation...

danielyoshisfc

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
are you sure you cleaned to wii?, opened it to see if there's nothing inside? since a child thought once that it would also do as a money bank... this caused about the same desciption as you discribe... there were about 5 euro's inside the wii... the discs got damaged, but the wii itself survived the operation...
Nothing inside mate!
I wasn't crazy as a kid and my parents were very strict about taking care of it...
Edit: Forgot to say: I cleaned it with a brush

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A photo of my Wii right now:

CnGnIl3WIAAmGYI.jpg

Last edited by danielyoshisfc,

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
oh somtimes disconnecting the power supply won't do any harm... but the only nintendo console overheating because of this that i've seen was my super nintendo... it was plugged for more than 3 days mid summer...

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use a can of compressed air and stick a needle or toothpick through the fan grille to block the blade from spinning. Canned air can spin the fan fast enough to break the bearings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.