anime_junkie

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really love tactical RPGs. Heck, one of my first RPGs (Shining Force, woot!) was a tactical. I'm looking for some TRPGs on the DS, anyone know some good ones? I already have Front Mission (although I haven't played it yet, I love the series), and I've heard good things about Advance Wars, but I've never tried it. Also, I was never much of a fan of Fire Emblem, though.

Any other DS TRPGs out there? (Or GBA I guess, but I'm mostly interested in DS titles
biggrin.gif
)

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SRPG's eh? Hmmm...Advance Wars DS, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Luminous Arc, Heroes of Mana, and Age of Empires come to mind. I'll think of some more and chat back later.

~Fitzy~

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ASH is getting a port over to NA
biggrin.gif

Hoshigami remix is fun, the battles may feel drawn out but you'll continue playing =D

I didn't like advance wars =\ i wasn't a fan with the series to begin with.

Luminous arc is so-so, it depends whether you are storyline or gameplay sided.

Wait for Titles such as FFTA2 and FFCC: Rings of fate to come out =D

PanzerWF

Trophies
Website
zetta.l4rge.com
XP
Country
Canada
Panzer Tactics was hyped up but I think it faded away after all the other tactical RPGs also came out (e.g. Luminous Arc, Hoshigami, etc)

I've only played Advance Wars DS and Luminous Arc, but I preferred Adv Wars DS.

Sendoh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
There isn't really much SRPG games which I enjoyed on the DS, save for Front Mission. I've tried most of them.

Luminous Arc was unbearable and repetitive (coming from a guy who played FFTA for over 200 hours), the plot sounds very generic, character development as well. How they decided to design the characters should be ample hint to what aspects of the game they focus on. (Hint: Vanessa)

Advance Wars DS, on the other hand, was good, but I never got into it. It was ok until one of the introductory missions where two COs came out. I was doing fine and everything, advancing my forces, when all of a sudden they unleashed their Dual Strike and the tide of the whole battle turned from there. After that I even had trouble trying to keep my own base, so being the wussy I am, I quit the game and removed it from my R4.

Didn't try Hoshigami Remix, I guess it will be as crappy as Luminous Arc.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
Advance Wars isn't really an RPG because there aren't really individual stats.

Revenant Wings definitely isn't an RPG. The developers went in saying it's an RTS.

I agree with keyaxxer - I'm a huge SRPG fan there haven't been a lot of great ones. I'm 35 hours into FFTA-2. It's awesome and there's plenty to do.

I haven't played the DS Robot Taisen game, but I'm sure it's reasonably decent. If GBA games are in the mix as well, there was Knights of Lodis for that machine.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Advance Wars isn't really an RPG because there aren't really individual stats.

Revenant Wings definitely isn't an RPG. The developers went in saying it's an RTS.

Agreed, Advance Wars is more like a TBS (Turn Based Strategy, there's probably a better acronym).

And for Revenant Wings, it's like a hybrid between an RPG and an RTS imo.

wiki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can't believe no one has mentioned Final Fantasy Tactics on Psone/psp. Such a great game.

Final fantasy tactics advance is pretty good also - played for about 150 hours and still haven't finished it yet.

Primworm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advance Wars Days of Ruin will be more RPGish, as units can level up and be carried over mission to mission. Or so I've read, it should own though, I will enjoy it.

D

Deleted User

Also, another good Tactical RPG is Heroes of Mana. Advance Wars isn't an RPG, but it's still tactical. Erm, yeah. But it's a great game and worth a shot.
smile.gif

anime_junkie

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
in your opening line you mentioned shinig force. theres remake for gba if you care.
Heh, I already have them. I'm a Shining Force nut, at least when it comes to the old tactical ones. The new ones suck, they messed up the series. >:(

And thanks for the other suggestions, guys, I'll be sure to check them out (even though I'm not too keen on the ones wiki tells me are RTSes).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?