Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
3MrnJFQ.jpg

Nvidia's new Tegra 5 Soc a.k.a Mobile Kepler was revealed to have penetrated the 400 GFLOP threshold, meaning that it has far surpassed the PS3 @ 270 GFLOPS and the Wii U @ 350 GFLOPS. If this trend holds, the PS4 and Xbone will soon be surpassed as well. Muahahahaha! The Tegra 5 is set to debute on the successor to the Nvidia shield.

t7YhhjM.jpg

Supporting standards such as DirectX and OpenGL, developers will start being able to port multi platform games onto mobile, and these games will soon be able to run better on mobile than on home consoles.

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but i want good game-play, not just graphics.

Hardware drives innovation and gameplay. Would Ocarina of Time be as good of a game on the SNES utilizing original Starfox graphics? Would Half-Life 2 be possible on a PC running a Pentium Pro (a 1995 processor @ 200 MHz) and a Voodoo graphics accelerator (a GPU from around the same time)? Would 3D games have been invented if hardware powerful enough to render polygons were never created?

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Hardware drives innovation and gameplay. Would Ocarina of Time be as good of a game on the SNES utilizing original Starfox graphics? Would Half-Life 2 be possible on a PC running a Pentium Pro (a 1995 processor @ 200 MHz) and a Voodoo graphics accelerator (a GPU from around the same time)? Would 3D games have been invented if hardware powerful enough to render polygons were never created?

thats why i said not_JUST_graphics. yes graphics is important, but should take a back seat to gameplay. look at games Resident Evil and Final Fantasy series. both where build on good gameplay and didnt have super graphics. but than what happened.....Resident Evil 6 and Fantasy XIII happened, both good graphics and no gameplay.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thats why i said not_JUST_graphics. yes graphics is important, but should take a back seat to gameplay. look at games Resident Evil and Final Fantasy series. both where build on good gameplay and didnt have super graphics. but than what happened.....Resident Evil 6 and Fantasy XIII happened, both good graphics and no gameplay.

But why can't we have both? With more powerful mobile devices, developer will be able to create full fledged gaming experiences. Add Bluetooth controller support, and it can do anything a home console can do.

mrnintendo15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This may have been true until about the 6th generation of consoles, where developers could pretty much make any kind of game they wanted. What I mean to say is that the examples that you're giving are examples of games that were not possible on the hardware of the generation before them. The leap between the 7th generation and 8th generation doesn't allow for new types of games, making your argument invalid in context.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"Tablets* Already Surpassed** Wii U in Power***." :)

* Tablets "of the future", as of today there are no Tegra 5 devices on the market since the chip isn't out yet - it's expected to enter the market in around 12 months
** "Already", meaning post-2014, as again, the chip in question isn't even out, let alone in consumer devices. Seeing that the Tegra 4 is yet to penetrate the market, we're looking at a circa 2015 release window here
*** "Power" as in raw GFLOPS provided it is clocked at 1GHz or more which is absolutely improbable in a mobile context due to issues with power consumption and heat dissipation. Additionally any and all OS and hardware dependencies are ignored. The 400GFLOPS result was reached in a laboratory environment and is not a dependable benchmark, rather a top possible result. A far more likely GFLOPS count in an actual chip implementation would be aprox. 200-280GFLOPS, which is still respectable but nowhere near a next gen home console

Cool story, brother. :)

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"Tablets* Already Surpassed** Wii U in Power***." :)

* Tablets "of the future", as of today there are no Tegra 5 devices on the market since the chip isn't out yet - it's expected to enter the market in around 12 months
** "Already", meaning post-2014, as again, the chip in question isn't even out, let alone in consumer devices. Seeing that the Tegra 4 is yet to penetrate the market, we're looking at a circa 2015 release window here
*** "Power" as in raw GFLOPS provided it is clocked at 1GHz or more which is absolutely improbable in a mobile context due to issues with power consumption and heat dissipation. Additionally any and all OS and hardware dependencies are ignored. The 400GFLOPS result was reached in a laboratory environment and is not a dependable benchmark, rather a top possible result

Cool story, brother. :)

I posted this in EOF for a reason. It wasn't supposed a fair and practical comparison. Just a little foreshadowing into the future of gaming.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I posted this in EOF for a reason. It wasn't supposed a fair and practical comparison. Just a little foreshadowing into the future of gaming.
All things considered, it's still distant future - I'd say 2-3 years to reach 400GFLOPS in a consumer implementation, give or take and maybe 4 to actually make use of'em since the OS'es have to catch up with the new hardware features before developers can utilize them.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty sweet that the architecture is making its way to mobile, but remember that a lot of the material in press releases is simply "enthusiast chow" - it shows what the chip can do, but in very specific conditions which cannot be replicated in a real-life implementation. ;)

That, and "beating the Wii U in performance" isn't exactly considered a challenge since performance-wise the Wii U is really late to the party. :P

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All things considered, it's still distant future - I'd say 4-5 years to reach 400GFLOPS in a consumer implementation, give or take and maybe 6 to actually make use of'em since the OS'es have to catch up with the new hardware features before developers can utilize them.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty sweet that the architecture is making its way to mobile, but remember that a lot of the material in press releases is simply "enthusiast chow" - it shows what the chip can do, but in very specific conditions which cannot be replicated in a real-life implementation. ;)

That, and "beating the Wii U in performance" isn't exactly considered a challenge since performance-wise the Wii U is really late to the party. :P

Actually, the first consumer implementation is confirmed to be the Nvidia Shield 2, which is rumoured to release by the end of next year. The original Shield had an active cooler, so a 1 GHz implementation of the GPU is very possible on that device's successor. 4 to 5 years? By then the Shield 3 with Tegra 6 with have been released. The Tegra 6 is already in the early stages of development and Nvidia is targeting 800 GFLOPS. Nvidia makes a new Tegra every year, so in 4 to 5 years, we'd probably have the Tegra 8 with 2000 GFLOPS.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually, the first consumer implementation is confirmed to be the Nvidia Shield 2, which is rumoured to release by the end of next year. The original Shield had an active cooler, so a 1 GHz implementation of the GPU is very possible on that device's successor. 4 to 5 years? By then the Shield 3 with Tegra 6 with have been released. The Tegra 6 is already in the early stages of development and Nvidia is targeting 800 GFLOPS. Nvidia makes a new Tegra every year, so in 4 to 5 years, we'd probably have the Tegra 8 with 2000 GFLOPS.
In other words, the Shield 2 will have slim chances of reaching 400GFLOPS... and nothing else since no mobile device manufacturer will decide to increase bulk for the sake of active cooling. :)

Sorry for being a realist, also corrected my timeframe prediction since it was a bit too stretched out. ;)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Reads that tablets are more powerful than Wii U *

That's nice. I'll wait till tablets have games worth playing

*Goes back to playing the Wii U*

But why can't we have both? With more powerful mobile devices, developer will be able to create full fledged gaming experiences. Add Bluetooth controller support, and it can do anything a home console can do.

Why can't we have both? Simple. Developers want to save money, they cut corners and focus on getting games out as fast as possible, rarely do I see a game with hyper-realistic graphics and good gameplay. Not unheard of, just not as much as I'd love to see as there has to be a balance. As for the Wii U, yeah, obviously, many more devices will surpass it in raw power, but to blatantly assume that good games with good graphics and the Wii U don't go well together is a pretty bold assumption.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16