SysUpdater brick after "an error occurred" - What can I do?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Axido, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Axido
    OP

Axido GBAtemp Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    Hello, guys.

I downgraded an o3DS on 11.1 via DSiwarehax, downgraded further to 9.2 via the GW time machine and tried to get to 2.1 using SysUpdater. SysUpdater got stuck on #4 the first time, on #5 the second time. After starting ftbrony beforehand it started correctly and I initiated a downgrade to 2.1.0E. A few .cia files installed successfully before I decided to just let it happen. When I came back the bottom screen showed a messsge that an error occurred and that I should turn off my 3DS. When I turned it back I got two black screens and nothing else (no Wi-Fi blinking). I tried everything I found on the web (removing SD card, removing certain folders on the SD card, acessing the recovery mode via L+R+A+Up on boot) without success.

Sadly I didn't make a NAND backup made on this exact 3DS. The only thing there is is my other 3DS that I system transfered to the now bricked one in order to downgrade it. I transfered an EmuNAND I can recover from a dump, but I'm not quite sure if a NAND dump of a system transfer donor would work on the receiving console. So, am I screwed or is there still something I can do about this?

2. 'Don

'Don Man in a box

Dec 31, 2015
    Germany
    Hemshof
    Man, you should have used the Plailect guide... GW time machine is a no-go and normal sysUpdater isnt very stable. Im sorry man but your system is unrecoverable without a backup. :/

zezzo likes this.
  3. Deck of Noobs

Deck of Noobs Politically Incorrect

Apr 9, 2016
    United States
    3ds.guide
    there are so many things you did wrong that I can't even list them all

'Don likes this.
  4. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2007
    You tried to get to 2. 1 using sys updater?

5. el_gonz87

el_gonz87 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    Sell it for parts, try to send it into ninty if under warranty, buy a new mother board... Only potions right now

6. ebericus

ebericus Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2016
    Only hardmod will fix your problem. There are tutorials on this forum on how to do that.

7. nechigawara

nechigawara Citizen of Gamindustri

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    I won't think that hardmod can recovery from this state.

8. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    He doesn't have a NAND backup, afaik nothing can save him from his own doom...

9. ebericus

ebericus Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2016
  10. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    For that to be plausible the console has to be able to even boot until decrypt9 comes in and fixes the CTRnand transfer image... how would you validate the movable.sed, secureinfo_a and other sensitive files? AFAIK, you can't.
    He's doomed. Correct me if i'm wrong, though.

11. el_gonz87

el_gonz87 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    New motherboard or send to Nintendo if new and tell them it bricked on system transfer

12. ebericus

ebericus Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2016
    Hmm. What I did from mine after it got bricked is that I went to a friend of mine to hardmod it. After he has attached the necessary cables to the NAND chip and the sdcard adapter, we inserted the sdcard adapter to the card reader then connected the card reader to the PC. We used win32diskimager to flash the proper image from Plailect's guide to the unit. We desoldered the cables from the NAND and turned on the 3ds. After a while it booted to the vanilla Home menu 9.2.

13. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    Let's wait for someone else more knowledgeable on the matter to confirm it then..

14. ebericus

ebericus Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2016
    No problem.

15. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    You had a backup of your console nand that you flashed. No nand backup, nothing can be done.

nechigawara and Alex658 like this.
  16. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    whereas a CTR transfer is essentially a backup, it's still missing critical files to be able to boot (which is why decrypt9 has to fix it before being able to boot)
    So if your 3ds can't boot enough just for decrypt9 to fix the ctr transfer you're trying to flash, nothing can be done.

17. nickelci

nickelci Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    Recovery mode should still boot, youll be on ofw 11.1 tho afterwards