System update - Linked Nands vs Unlink Nands, who will win the fight?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by MattKimura, Nov 8, 2016.

?

Do you have Linked or Unlinked NANDS?

1. Linked NANDS (Never formatted sysNAND after creating RedNAND)

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  2. Unlinked NANDS (Formatted sysNAND after creating RedNAND)

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  1. MattKimura
    OP

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    This is just a speculation thread for linked and unlinked nand possibilities. I want to hear the arguments about what people think is relevant about each type of situation and what can happen if you don't unlink.
    There's been speculation that updating RedNAND can result in a brick. Some saying that unlinking will prevent this. But nobody knows for sure.

Basically there's two type of users here, those who formatted sysnand and those who didn't format sysnand after creating RedNAND. But who will ultimately be defeated in the end due to consequences of either keeping the nands linked or unlinked? I guess time will tell.

Some will say that this is stupid, and that it's not really unlinking anything when you format sysnand like it does on the 3DS.

Me personally, I'm on the Linked nands side. Which side are you on?

2. castdreams

castdreams Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    Midwest USA
    NANDs are currently still linked, I don't feel like taking the time to backup my saves and re-download/install all of my games on my hard drive. If someone is able to convince me there's an advantage to unlinking them currently, I'll go do it right now.

MattKimura likes this.
  3. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Unlinked nands do brick the wiiu when updated its not speculation smea and a few other devs have tried and all bricked.

Last edited by Marko76, Nov 8, 2016
    MattKimura likes this.
  4. BIFFTAZ

BIFFTAZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2010
    Link?

5. Red_Alive

Red_Alive GBAtemp Regular

Oct 21, 2016
    France
    is it the same case for the 3ds ?

6. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    I don't need to provide a link just read the ten billion other rednand threads on here where it has been discussed and a valid reason has been given into why rednand will never be able to be updated. Basically in simple terms the wiiu has a specific chip that cannot be emulated in rednand this chip is partly used when you update the wiiu. Part of the update goes on this chip and part of it goes to the nand chip. When you switch on the wiiu it checks that the chip firmware and the nand firmware is the same version. So if you update rednand part of the update will go on the chip and part will go to Rednand which means switching the wiiu back on will result in a brick as the chip and sysnand will have different firmware versions.

BIFFTAZ likes this.
  7. BIFFTAZ

Jul 26, 2010
    I have, But never read that... Updating redNAND would just brick redNAND surely because its read/write to SD only. Updating sysNAND cant brick anything... Because thats just silly...

8. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Reread my last post I just added more info to it.

9. Antonio Ricardo

Antonio Ricardo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    But will brick only Rednand.
    People are afraid brick Sysnand.

10. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    No it will brick sysnand as like i said in my previous post the sysnand will have a different firmware than what is on the other chip if you update rednand.

osaka35 likes this.
  11. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Thanks for the explanation @Marko76 =]

Marko76 likes this.
  12. BIFFTAZ

Jul 26, 2010
    I see it. But the post I quoted you saying unlinked would brick if updated, Wouldn't updating either linked or not do exactly the same thing by changing the firmware version on sysNAND & redNAND? If it didnt & just updated both, It would remove the browser hack altogether...

13. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Well yes chances are if you updated the sysnand then the browser hack would not work but we won't know this until a new update comes along. Also if a new update comes out and you do update the sysnand but we still have browser hack then your rednand probably won't work for the exact reason that the redNAND and chip will have different firmware. But by then we will more than likely be able to update the redNAND on a PC in a similar way as could be done with the old wiis emunand.

MattKimura likes this.
  14. BIFFTAZ

Jul 26, 2010
    Re-read my post you quoted. By your logic, Updating redNAND whilst linked would result in the same outcome as being unlinked by having different firmware verions. If it didnt brick while updting redNAND & updated sysNAND because the're linked, It would remove the exploit from both nands either way...
    Not sure what you were trying to say here? Are you saying it safer updating redNAND being linked?

BTW, I never said it was a good Idea to update either, Its just that you said its bad whilst unlinked & wanted to know why you think one's worse than the other.

Last edited by BIFFTAZ, Nov 8, 2016
  15. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Yes it's bad to update rednand either way sorry if that was not clear but you must update sysnand before updating rednand or you will brick the sysnand.