Homebrew System transfer without updating, Is it possible? 9.9.0.26U FW

03bgood

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If he has the files and I am at minimal risk of bricking the New3DS i am transfering too, I will test it tonight.
I don't have HANS on my 3DS but I do have some files like boot.3dsx and the Homebrew launcher and app files but I did uninstall Themehax in case I have to update my firmware from 10.1 to 10.2. My n3DS has 9.8 right now and someone told me that both 3DS systems have to be updated in order to do the system transfer but I'm worried about the homebrew part and don't want my system to be bricked or run into an error message.

Last edited by 03bgood,
D

Deleted User

Considering normal failed system transfers don't brick, I'm fairly certain there's little to no chance of bricking. The biggest issue, if any, would likely just be loss of data. If it works fine with free multipatcher spoofing, though, it should work fine here as well. Once again, though, I can't make any guarantees yet.

Last edited by ,

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have HANS on my 3DS but I do have some files like boot.3dsx and the Homebrew launcher and app files but I did uninstall Themehax in case I have to update my firmware from 10.1 to 10.2. My n3DS has 9.8 right now.

I have HANS already set up on my O3DS (9.4) and my N3DS is on 9.0 and set up to use freemultipatcher. Ideally I would like to transfer from sysnand to sysnand, but I am unsure how feasible that is.

Considering normal failed system transfers don't brick, I'm fairly certain there's little to no chance of bricking. The biggest issue, if any, would likely just be loss of data.

Any chance you already have the code.bins needed on hand? I assumed you have the 9.6+ ones, but I would need the 9.0-9.5 ones. If you do, PM me and I will go ahead and test it.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so using the patched exefs code.bin files from Steveice10, I have successfully bypassed the firmware check on BOTH my 9.4 O3DS XL and my 9.0 N3DS XL.

As of this moment they are transferring data from the O3DS to the N3DS. Will update with a picture to verify shortly.

edit:

Here is the photo showing the transfer underway. Will add another shortly showing the system versions.
20151031_005416.jpg

Last edited by Aroth,
Reactions: Hoppy

Acryt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so using the patched exefs code.bin files from Steveice10, I have successfully bypassed the firmware check on BOTH my 9.4 O3DS XL and my 9.0 N3DS XL.

As of this moment they are transferring data from the O3DS to the N3DS. Will update with a picture to verify shortly.
Please hook me up as well :)

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please hook me up as well :)
Do code.bin files fall under things we can't provide links to in threads? If not then I will get them from Steveice10 and host them on my own dropbox for people to use with a text file with instructions and link it in my signature.

Btw, the transfer completed with one a single minor issue that posed no problem. When the target device prompted for a reboot, it came back into Download Play for some reason (no idea if it will always come back into Download Play, if it will always come back into a random application, or if I just had a freak glitch). I tried to press home and it hard crashed (hold power to turn off the system error) and when I powered it back up it returned to the system transfer and finished up cleanly.

Here is the picture showing the system versions as well:

20151031_011224.jpg

Acryt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All good, just running into an issue that my o3ds is hanging on system transfer load atm, won't even show Hans config. Updating my kit and entry points to try and see what's up.

Acryt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All good, just running into an issue that my o3ds is hanging on system transfer load atm, won't even show Hans config. Updating my kit and entry points to try and see what's up.
Stuck on this red screen hang. Hans config won't show up after debug, and button combo won't prompt it to come up either. You had no issues with that at all, right?

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stuck on this red screen hang. Hans config won't show up after debug, and button combo won't prompt it to come up either. You had no issues with that at all, right?
Hmm, red screen is after you select the title to use with hans but before the configuration options appear?

Acryt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, red screen is after you select the title to use with hans but before the configuration options appear?
After when it boots. The normal debug that appears on the top screen appears, but afterwards holding the L+R and waiting for hans to pop up, nothing happens. Just a hanged red screen :c

Acryt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is your entry point?
I am using menuhax 2.0 / aka themehax, newest version released today. I'm going to attempt to use it through Ironhax, and then browserhax. This is on my 9.9.x O3DS.

Edit: Same result through Ironhax.
Edit: Same result on my N3DS too, when attempting to run System Transfer through HANS. Seems to be correlated to the FW, maybe?

Last edited by Acryt,

flarn2006

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the system transfer need kernel access? If so, then since it's possible to replace parts of its code with HANS and still have it work, doesn't that mean we have a kernel exploit?

Or does it not need kernel access?

Acryt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I removed the .code from my SD, to see if for some reason it was being loaded and just isn't working, but no dice. Still hangs. Most likely FW related?
Note that my HANS works perfectly fine, I've been using it to play romhacks for days.

Last edited by Acryt,

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the system transfer need kernel access? If so, then since it's possible to replace parts of its code with HANS and still have it work, doesn't that mean we have a kernel exploit?

I am 99% sure we do NOT have kernel access on 9.3+ so I am also 99% sure that either the system transfer does not need kernel access, or at the very least kernel access is not required to inject code into the process as it is running.

D

Deleted User

No, it doesn't.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I removed the .bin from my SD, to see if for some reason it was being loaded and just isn't working, but no dice. Still hangs. Most likely FW related?
Note that my HANS works perfectly fine, I've been using it to play romhacks for days.

Doubtful since I know Steveice10 at least tested as far as making sure the firmware check was bypassed and I think he tested with 9.6. Most likely the problem is your entry point or one of your payloads.

Acryt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying Browserhax now, but I'm pretty sure this is near foolproof to not mess up
Doubtful since I know Steveice10 at least tested as far as making sure the firmware check was bypassed and I think he tested with 9.6. Most likely the problem is your entry point or one of your payloads.
I'm not even getting into HANS on either console when I select ??? as the target. Seems very strange?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: