Hacking System Transfer from vulnerable 3DS XL to new 3DS XL

LAA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I recently got a Gateway which I plan to use with current 3DS XL and the plan was to get a new 3DS XL this year (Which I may get from UK officially depending on pricing/bundles/etc., if not I'll import from Australia), which I would System transfer from my current 3DS XL to the new 3DS XL and keep my new 3DS XL official, and my old 3DS XL for Gateway/homebrew.

However, I completely forgot about both consoles needing to be on the latest firmware to carry out the system transfer. Been reading about emunand/sysnand, but I'm pretty much a noob in 3DS hacking grounds, so I'm not sure if emunand can allow a 3DS to system transfer or not?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Thanks

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I understand what you're trying to do - transfer your normal 3DS XL sysNAND to a New 3DS XL later down the line? If that's the case, then no, you won't be able to because they both need to be connected to the Internet and updated to the latest version, so your current 3DS XL will no longer be Gateway exploitable (assuming no other exploits are found).

You can transfer emuNAND to sysNAND, however I would imagine if you are transferring CIA files, either it will fail or they'll be deleted from the New 3DS XL.

LAA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I understand what you're trying to do - transfer your normal 3DS XL sysNAND to a New 3DS XL later down the line? If that's the case, then no, you won't be able to because they both need to be connected to the Internet and updated to the latest version, so your current 3DS XL will no longer be Gateway exploitable (assuming no other exploits are found).

You can transfer emuNAND to sysNAND, however I would imagine if you are transferring CIA files, either it will fail or they'll be deleted from the New 3DS XL.

Thanks for the reply, I'm very gutted. I bought both Cubic Ninja and gateway and it seems both are useless now. Just to explain further, what I want the system transfer for is to transfer all my existing games I've bought/got digitally (and my account) to the new 3DS XL. If thats not possible, then very gutted, I can't really deal with losing all the games I've bought.
Guess I have to pray for a solution/bypass to come out, or just have to deal with some games being on my old 3DS XL and some being on the new 3DS XL, though that situation isnt ideal.

slowmotioning

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply, I'm very gutted. I bought both Cubic Ninja and gateway and it seems both are useless now. Just to explain further, what I want the system transfer for is to transfer all my existing games I've bought/got digitally (and my account) to the new 3DS XL. If thats not possible, then very gutted, I can't really deal with losing all the games I've bought.
Guess I have to pray for a solution/bypass to come out, or just have to deal with some games being on my old 3DS XL and some being on the new 3DS XL, though that situation isnt ideal.

Can't you just reconnect to the eShop on the new 3DS and redownload them?

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country

Hmm. If only Nintendo's content management was 1000% more mature.

I don't know if you would be able to contact Nintendo to say that you broke your old 3DS and got a new one, so can they transfer your purchases over...I don't know of an easier way, unless I'm missing something.

LAA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Can't you just reconnect to the eShop on the new 3DS and redownload them?

Don't think it works like that on 3DS sadly (Though it should and the System transfer is already a totally backwards and frankly bad system for customers).
I don't believe purchases are tied to accounts like it is elsewhere, I believe they're tied to consoles, and the only way to get your games on another console is to system transfer.

I was just hoping there was homebrew or a method to bypass the system transfer by now.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
You're trying to go from old 3ds to new 3ds for legit purchases right?
If gateway's new update has kernal support, which is likely has, it would have emunand.
Emulate your nand, transfer it, and then delete the content on the sd card if it's not already gone afterward.

Reactions: Zidapi

LAA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You're trying to go from old 3ds to new 3ds for legit purchases right?
If gateway's new update has kernal support, which is likely has, it would have emunand.
Emulate your nand, transfer it, and then delete the content on the sd card if it's not already gone afterward.

Yeah I want the legit purchases and account on my new 3DS XL.
Sounds good if true. When it's out I guess I'll be coming back here to see what I can do.

LAA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Now that Gateway 3.0 is out...and I'm expecting my new 3DS XL to arrive next week, does anyone know if I can now system transfer to from my current 3DS XL to my new 3DS XL without updating the current 3DS XL and losing access to gateway/ninjhax?

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Now that Gateway 3.0 is out...and I'm expecting my new 3DS XL to arrive next week, does anyone know if I can now system transfer to from my current 3DS XL to my new 3DS XL without updating the current 3DS XL and losing access to gateway/ninjhax?
Yeah. First backup the emuNAND of your XL with emuNANDtool.

Setup and update to 9.4 the emuNAND on both devices.

I can't stress this enough, setting up emuNAND formats your SD card. Be sure to backup its contents to your computer.

Then perform an emuNAND to emuNAND system transfer.

Once the transfer is complete, you can if you like, restore the backup you made of your XL pre-transfer.
This effectively allows you to clone your setup. The catch is you can't go online with the XL anymore using the restored NAND.
This is because your NNID is tied to your new3DS. When you go online it sees that the content is no longer tied to the XL and deletes it.

LAA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah. First backup the emuNAND of your XL with emuNANDtool.

Setup and update to 9.4 the emuNAND on both devices.

I can't stress this enough, setting up emuNAND formats your SD card. Be sure to backup its contents to your computer.

Then perform an emuNAND to emuNAND system transfer.

Once the transfer is complete, you can if you like, restore the backup you made of your XL pre-transfer.
This effectively allows you to clone your setup. The catch is you can't go online with the XL anymore using the restored NAND.
This is because your NNID is tied to your new3DS. When you go online it sees that the content is no longer tied to the XL and deletes it.
Thanks for the post! Got two problems though.
1. Not sure how to set up the emunand and not sure how to update it if I did. I've backed up my files and sysNAND already though.

2. The more major problem is I don't think my new 3ds xl will be below 9.4. There's a chance it will be, but I bought it based on it becoming my primary legit system and I was hoping it was possible to do a emunand to sysnand system transfer?

Thanks

masterkirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm on the same boat as you, buddy. I intend to do the following when I get my N3DS:

1) Backup current 9.02 NAND
2) Update 9.02 to system transfer to N3DS. (carries over NNID, friend codes, etc)
3) Restore NAND to 9.02 through soldering

Just adding another option incase this one hasn't been considered yet.

bache

Trophies
XP
Country

Why could he not inject his sysNAND's NAND.bin into his emuNAND using emuNAND tool, and then system transfer from that?

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
There's a lot of nonsense in this thread. There should be no problem with doing this:

1) put gateway in your old 3ds
2) format emunand
3) update emunand (to 9.4)
4) system transfer

Godson777

yo waddup
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But if you were like me and don't use CIA files, would a transfer from emuNAND to N3DS sysNAND be a valid option, since it's transferring all of the legit data and all.

rainparadesamurai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if you were like me and don't use CIA files, would a transfer from emuNAND to N3DS sysNAND be a valid option, since it's transferring all of the legit data and all.
that doesn't make sense because you have to update to the latest firmware, and if you do that on the sysnand then no gateway for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.