Hacking System transfer between hacked 3DSes, how to keep "non-legit" titles?

Helix Fossil

DQ Fan Translator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, when system transferring, it's known that all "non-legit" titles/themes/DLC/whatever don't make the trip across. At this point most of my stuff is non-legit, having ripped physical games, downloaded themes, and injected custom VC more times than I can possibly count. If one is going from a hacked 3DS to another hacked 3DS, is there any way to avoid having to reinstall everything? Like backing up the titlekeys/tickets on the source 3DS and then restoring the respective files on the target 3DS? Anything like that? I can't seem to find any real information about it that isn't vague or just says you're SOL.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Backup your nand, transfer, then restore.

EDIT: Oh, you mean transfering them too. IDK then.

Last edited by osm70,

Helix Fossil

DQ Fan Translator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, would there be an issue with backing up the NAND on my source 3DS, restoring the NAND backup on the target 3DS, and then simply putting the microSD card in the target 3DS? I don't have to use Nintendo's system transfer if there's another way to "clone" my 3DS to another one. My current 3DS is having hardware issues so I need to get everything to a new 3DS. I don't really care about being able to use my current 3DS once everything is over on a new one.

Last edited by Helix Fossil,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well, would there be an issue with backing up the NAND on my source 3DS, restoring the NAND backup on the target 3DS, and then simply putting the microSD card in the target 3DS? I don't have to use Nintendo's system transfer if there's another way to "clone" my 3DS to another one. My current 3DS is having hardware issues so I need to get everything to a new 3DS. I don't really care about being able to use my current 3DS once everything is over on a new one.
If you restore the NAND of a one console on another, it will brick. Do what HugaTheFox said, or you can use TikShop instead. The titles actually do get transferred, just the tickets don't (the tickets are what allow the title to show up in the home menu).

HugaTheFox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you restore the NAND of a one console on another, it will brick. Do what HugaTheFox said, or you can use TikShop instead. The titles actually do get transferred, just the tickets don't (the tickets are what allow the title to show up in the home menu).
I was trying to find that video from Phineas and Ferb where it said Brick Brick Brick... ITS FUN

Reactions: Zhongtiao1

Helix Fossil

DQ Fan Translator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Okay, that should be perfect then. And that's what I thought. The system transfer doesn't erase the data off the SD card, but it takes away your "ownership" (tickets) of anything illegitimate.

I think I've already done it successfully, but just to be extra sure; to back up my tickets, I just go into Decrypt9, Ticket/Titlekey options, and select Ticket Dump?

It's not the 3DS games I'm the most worried about, it's all the custom VC stuff that I can't simply redownload from the eShop servers. But if I restore the tickets backup then all that should be fine.

Last edited by Helix Fossil,

HugaTheFox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that should be perfect then. And that's what I thought. The system transfer doesn't erase the data off the SD card, but it takes away your "ownership" (tickets) of anything illegitimate.

I think I've already done it successfully, but just to be extra sure; to back up my tickets, I just go into Decrypt9, Ticket/Titlekey options, and select Ticket Dump?
  1. Navigate to [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND -> dbs
  2. Press (A) on ticket.dbs to select it, then select “Ticket.db options…”, then select “Mount image to drive”
  3. If it exists, hold (R) and press (A) at the same time on eshop to select the folder, then select “Copy to 0:/gm9out”
    • This process may take some time if you have many tickets
    • Once it has completed, press (A) to continue
  4. If it exists, hold (R) and press (A) at the same time on unknown to select the folder, then select “Copy to 0:/gm9out”
    • This process may take some time if you have many tickets
    • Once it has completed, press (A) to continue

Helix Fossil

DQ Fan Translator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... how do I import the tickets after doing the system transfer? I'm fiddling around in GodMode9, but I'm unable to copy anything into the folders inside ticket.db while it's mounted, so I'm kinda unsure where I'm supposed to put all the .tik files I dumped.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Backup the tickets on your host system
Create a NAND backup and an SD card backup
Preform system transfer using PC option
Swap SD card from old system to new system.
On the new system, use FBI to restore previous tickets. Some won't be restored.
Go into system settings and find all the games that didn't restore and make note of them before deleting them. Redownload all the games that didn't restore
Use host system for reference and also to dump the saves of all the games that didn't restore properly.
Restore saves on new system
These are the steps I did when I went from my old3DS to my new3DS

Helix Fossil

DQ Fan Translator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much! I was able to find assistance last night and got basically the same instructions. Restoring Decrypt9 ticket backups and GodMode9 ticket backups via FBI, and by using TikShop, I was able to restore almost everything. Only a few custom VC titles didn't get restored, but that's way better than nothing.

Cralex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My deepest apologies for the necrobump, but I'm having a problem with this exact situation. I just transferred from my old system to a N2DSXL and I'm trying to install my .tik files on the new system. However, all 70-ish files give me the same error in FBI:
Failed to install ticket.
Result code: 0xD8E0806B
Level: Permanent (27)
Summary: Invalid argument (7)
Module: AM (32)
Desc: Error type -7 (107)
Going into system settings shows me pages and pages of games and homebrew utilities without installed tickets. Did I do something wrong when generating the tickets? I used the latest gm9. I am in the process of writing a backup of my old system's SD card and NAND to a spare card, so I should have my old system back up and running soon for reference. Thanks.

Edit: Not even purchased games were available... Until I loaded up the eshop. That fixed titles that I bought from the eshop, but not the homebrew and VC injects and such.

Last edited by Cralex,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
My deepest apologies for the necrobump, but I'm having a problem with this exact situation. I just transferred from my old system to a N2DSXL and I'm trying to install my .tik files on the new system. However, all 70-ish files give me the same error in FBI:
Failed to install ticket.
Result code: 0xD8E0806B
Level: Permanent (27)
Summary: Invalid argument (7)
Module: AM (32)
Desc: Error type -7 (107)
Going into system settings shows me pages and pages of games and homebrew utilities without installed tickets. Did I do something wrong when generating the tickets? I used the latest gm9. I am in the process of writing a backup of my old system's SD card and NAND to a spare card, so I should have my old system back up and running soon for reference. Thanks.

Edit: Not even purchased games were available... Until I loaded up the eshop. That fixed titles that I bought from the eshop, but not the homebrew and VC injects and such.
After restoring the NAND backup and SD card on the old system, go to https://3ds.guide/ctrtransfer and follow section 2 part 15-19 on the old console to back up the tickets, then section 4 part 3-8 on the new system to restore them.

Cralex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After restoring the NAND backup and SD card on the old system, go to https://3ds.guide/ctrtransfer and follow section 2 part 15-19 on the old console to back up the tickets, then section 4 part 3-8 on the new system to restore them.

Many thanks, that did the trick! Also, for anyone else that might stumble across this, any non-legit DSiWare you have isn't transferred by the transfer tool, because it sees that it isn't legit and skips the required copy to SD card. So, you need to move any DSiWare to the SD card yourself. If, like me, you did the transfer without doing this step, you can restore a NAND backup on the original system and move the titles to the card you're using in the new system.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Feror

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
After restoring the NAND backup and SD card on the old system, go to (can't post hyperlinks) and follow section 2 part 15-19 on the old console to back up the tickets, then section 4 part 3-8 on the new system to restore them.
Sorry for the necrobump, but after doing this I got the same error. What can I do?

Last edited by Feror,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.