System transfer - 3DS emuNAND to new 3DS XL?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Neo Draven, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Neo Draven
    OP

Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Sorry if this question has been asked before. It was really difficult to search for this specific question.

I am considering trading in my old 3DS at GameStop towards a brand-new 3DS XL. I checked the other topic on how to figure out what its stock firmware is, and going off of what the community here has said, as long as the box has the copyright year of 2012, I should be good.

My question is, would it be possible to initiate a system transfer of the files I have on my emuNAND partition? I've never had to replace a 3DS before, and I want to make sure that I can keep all of my purchases when I get a new system. This isn't an ambassador unit or anything. Just wanted to see if I could save myself that extra step of hassle.

Does doing a system transfer require being updated to the newest firmware?

Any assistance or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    I haven't tried emunand to emunand before. But both emunands need to be on the latest firmware.

3. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Yeah, I doubt a GameStop employee would sit there and let me install Gateway Mode on a brand-new in-the-box 3DS XL. Might have a tough time playing that one off. I will try, anyway. Worst they can do is say no. Why a GameStop employee would care what I did with my hardware is beyond me.

4. enigma85

enigma85 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Wherever A Girl Is That Likes Me
    Copyright of 2012 does NOT gaurentee <4.5 firmware, only serial number does. the boxes were printed in 2012 but could have been filled after 5.0 was released. (Nintendo bought boxes in bulk :yaysp:) happened to many users including me.

Neo Draven likes this.
  5. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

Nov 3, 2006
    United States
    Oregon
    The copyright on the box is the copyright of the design on the box itself, the logos and placement of text and pictures etc. It is not an indicator of when the 3DS inside of it was manufactured. They still use the same box design from 2012 in 3DS's that have been manufactured recently. If you had actually read what the community had said regarding this issue, you would be looking at the serial number and not the year the trademarks were copyrighted, LOL.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_ha...the_System_version_before_buying_a_new_3DS.3F

Kids these days...

enigma85 likes this.
  6. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/where-to-get-a-firmware-4-5-or-below-3ds-xl.352360/

This topic has LOTS of posts from people who referred to, and specifically referenced the copyright year, which is where I got that from, little boy.

Kids these days...

7. sonic2756

sonic2756 Friendly Neighborhood Wolf

Feb 3, 2010
    United States
    Denver, CO
    Back when I was trying to find another 4.5, I bought a 2012 from Target and it was running 6.x when I opened it up. Serial number is the only way to be sure tbh.

Neo Draven likes this.
  8. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Thanks, sonic2756.

Do you know whether or not it is required to be on the most current firmware for a system transfer? I doubt that GameStop would let me install anything on the 3DS before paying for it.

9. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    ON TOPIC:

Have you heard of the EmuNAND tool? It might work for something like this, I'm not sure if EmuNAND still has the RSA checks that locks it to a specefic system.

10. sonic2756

sonic2756 Friendly Neighborhood Wolf

Feb 3, 2010
    United States
    Denver, CO
    Yeah it does. But 2.0b2 allows for system transfer. And emuNAND DOES have the RSA checks.

What I would do is update your old 3DS to start the transfer, setup emuNAND on your new 3DS, get that updated, then do the transfer.

11. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    I thought of that, then dismissed it, because even using emuNAND and not regular NAND, you can't flash one console's NAND to another. But, damn me if that wouldn't make it a billion times easier for me.

12. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

Nov 3, 2006
    United States
    Oregon
    And all those people are mistaken for the already mentioned reason. Also did you even read the fucking link in the first post in that thread you linked to me?

Gerbilly likes this.
  13. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Little boy, again, let me remind you that I am not one of your little Pokemon buddies. Remember that you are only running your mouth online. You know that you are showing me MASSIVE respect by refusing to actually say any of this where it could negatively impact you, right? Right.

There's a good little boy. Know your place, son.

Yepi69 likes this.
  14. Dan-the-Rebirth

Dan-the-Rebirth GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Australia
    is your old 3ds a normal one or a xl? if you own a xl you could just switch out the mainbord

15. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Just a regular one. I could not possibly suck more with hardware mods. It would be cheaper and easier to just buy a brand-new one and create a new account entirely. Thanks, though. Not everyone who responds on these forums is a cuntflap.

16. Gerbilly

Gerbilly Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2013
    May I ask why you are so defensive? Consistently insulting other people who actually give you good advice is not the way to keep getting good advice. Of course you can just do your regular response and tell me to not interfere in YOUR thread and call me names, or you could take this advice and learn to chill a little.

With regards to the system transfer, why can't you just buy the new system, do the transfer (outside the store, at home or whatever) and then trade the old one in afterwards?

Tomato Hentai, Ammako and Crass like this.
  17. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Because the one who gave him advice sort of insulted him in the process? :P
    But yeah check the serial code.

18. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Exactly what Arras said. I am always courteous and friendly to everyone who isn't an asshole to me. When someone is, I feel no obligation to remain courteous to them.

19. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Wait, the one you wanna do the transfer from its the emuNAND one right?

Well the purchases you make are stored on your 3DS account which is transfered as well through System transfer, with or without emuNAND I think (unless you never used Nintendo eShop while on normal NAND)

So basically you just need to normally update it then do the transfer if you just want to transfer your currently bought games and transferred data.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Neo Draven likes this.
  20. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

Nov 3, 2006
    United States
    Oregon
    I honestly couldn't tell if you were joking or serious at first, but judging by the PM you sent me saying essentially the same thing I am going to assume you are serious?

Get a grip on yourself buddy, all I said was "Kids these days" and you took it way too fucking personally, which is kind of ironic because it's an extremely immature reaction so I am going to assume you are just some kid.

Gah! Kids these days...

Tomato Hentai likes this.