Hacking System Menu: The system files are corrupted.

rooskie54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't post here often, but I know a fair bit about Wiis. My baby is having trouble loading the system menu. Mine is a launch day console and I've been following the wii's homebrew since the Twilight Hack. For a long time now it's been running bootmii boot2 set to autoboot the homebrew channel. I only see the system menu when I need to change a setting or sync a wii remote. Yesterday I exited to the System Menu from the homebrew channel to sync a remote and received the error message "The system files are corrupted. Please refer to the Wii Operation Manual for help troubleshooting." I quickly went to bootmii and made a new backup before I made things worse. It gave me the following output:
Factory bad block 308
Factory bad block 662
Factory bad block 1210
Factory bad block 1390
Corrected page 143306
Corrected page 153100
Factory bad block 2783
Factory bad block 2897
I'm aware of the Factory bad blocks, but I'd never seen Corrected page before. Out of curiosity I did a normal boot (no sd card inserted) and the System Menu loaded. I synced the remote, rejoiced, and then proceeded to the shop channel. From there I quit to the system menu and "The system files are corrupted. Please refer to the Wii Operation Manual for help troubleshooting." So then I reinstalled the system menu (4.1U) and afterwards it loaded just fine from the homebrew channel. Then on the second attempt to access it "The system files are corrupted. Please refer to the Wii Operation Manual for help troubleshooting."

Anyone have any suggestions? I ran SysCheck but it crashed while scanning for IOS vulnerabilities and the log it generated isn't very useful. Luckily I already have bootmii so this isn't much of a problem. For all I know this has been an issue for months. I'd still like to find a work around if possible since it's a little annoying to reinstall the system menu every time I want to use it.

EDIT: I've been asked to run nandBinCheck -all -v, so here it is: http://pastebin.com/VxJtEwMP

rooskie54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline, Maintenance Mode works just fine.

chrisrlink, I don't have priiloader or a prior backup. I lost a ton of data a year ago including my nand backups.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Have a look at your nand bin with nandbincheck, it may give you some clues.
nandbincheck nand.bin -all -v

If it was a mailbrick, I would think you would have the problem when booting straight to the system menu, not just when loading it from some other app. Have you tried reinstalling the system ios?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

If it was a mailbrick, I would think you would have the problem when booting straight to the system menu, not just when loading it from some other app. Have you tried reinstalling the system ios?
He is having problems no matter where he loads it from, it's just not 100% consistent.

rooskie54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The problem is there when booting straight to the system menu too. Unless it's the first time being accessed after an install/making a backup then the wii won't load the system menu regardless of how its launched. I have reinstalled IOS 60 and it didn't make a difference.

nandBinCheck says:
http://pastebin.com/VxJtEwMP

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Regardless of the issue, ohneswanzenegger nand.bin formater should fix your issue.

Or you could try the mailbrick fix with fstoolbox
then you could try to load any title deleter and remover all those improperly uninstalled channels

I am putting my money on all your numerous channel removals. But it could be the message board, hard to tell.
I would just use ohneswanzenegger and fix it right.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Extract this to your SD card, load FSToolbox, go to "shared2/wc24/" and press + on all the files (but not directories). Do the same thing in "shared2/wc24/mbox". When you restart your Wii you will get a message about fixing your mailbox. If that doesn't work, then restore your NAND and you can try something else.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
was an ecc error on block 227 and a hmac error for one of the default system channels. you can try reinstalling that channel and probably fix the hmac error. depending on what file falls on block 227, you may be able to delete or somehow replace that file.

Reactions: 1 person

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
was an ecc error on block 227 and a hmac error for one of the default system channels. you can try reinstalling that channel and probably fix the hmac error. depending on what file falls on block 227, you may be able to delete or somehow replace that file.
I didn't know what "Bad HMAC" was, lol.

Btw, that channel is Photo Channel v1.1

rooskie54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Extract this to your SD card, load FSToolbox, go to "shared2/wc24/" and press + on all the files (but not directories). Do the same thing in "shared2/wc24/mbox". When you restart your Wii you will get a message about fixing your mailbox. If that doesn't work, then restore your NAND and you can try something else.
That didn't make a difference so I restored the NAND. The problem has mysteriously vanished. I've rebooted multiple times, started channels and quit to system menu, and the problem is gone. System menu loads just fine. I'm so confused.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That didn't make a difference so I restored the NAND. The problem has mysteriously vanished. I've rebooted multiple times, started channels and quit to system menu, and the problem is gone. System menu loads just fine. I'm so confused.
Since BootMii backuped and corrected a "page" I expect what happened is that it made a correction to the NAND backup, not the real NAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)