Hacking Sysnand full, can it be increased? And game transfer (side question)

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

My son's N3ds is running a9hl & also Gateway emunand. The internal micro sd card has plenty of free space though when trying to add a game from Freeshop, the system returns an error stating that emunand is full.

Can this be increased somehow?

Side question: Can the installed Freeshop games be exported to cias (or something else that can be transfered directly from one console to another one (I was thinking that of my daughter's who has a regular 3ds XL only running Gateway and not a9hl)?

Thanks,

tan-tan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you trying to install a 3DS title, or a DSiWare title? DSiWare installs to the NAND, which may be full if there are many other DSi games installed.

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

My son's N3ds is running a9hl & also Gateway emunand. The internal micro sd card has plenty of free space though when trying to add a game from Freeshop, the system returns an error stating that emunand is full.

Can this be increased somehow?

Side question: Can the installed Freeshop games be exported to cias (or something else that can be transfered directly from one console to another one (I was thinking that of my daughter's who has a regular 3ds XL only running Gateway and not a9hl)?

Thanks,
Use CIAngel if you want CIAs. You should give your daughter a9lh + EmuNAND also following the Guide. Make sure to not move the EmuNAND at the end. Currently Gateway kills a9lh on 11.3 since it doesn't have firm protection.

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Are you trying to install a 3DS title, or a DSiWare title? DSiWare installs to the NAND, which may be full if there are many other DSi games installed.
It's an old Zelda game I believe he's trying to install. I suppose then it falls under DSIWare. Where are these FreeShop games installed by default anyway? Can I get a list of what my kids has installed onto Sysnand or anywhere else from the FreeShop (and see how much space is left or if I can move/remove/export to PC or as a cia/install somewhere else...) ?

So from the answers I figure there's no way to increase Sysnand size is there?

I'd love to understand where games go when installed from FBI (cias) or when installed from FreeShop.

As for my daughter and my other kid's 3DS consoles, I will try to install A9hl onto them as well soon but I have very little free time now, as we have to get ready for a trip to the US in a fortnight and also have a huge revamp of the house we live in while abroad.

Thanks for you help once again.

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an old Zelda game I believe he's trying to install. I suppose then it falls under DSIWare. Where are these FreeShop games installed by default anyway? Can I get a list of what my kids has installed onto Sysnand or anywhere else from the FreeShop (and see how much space is left or if I can move/remove/export to PC or as a cia/install somewhere else...) ?

So from the answers I figure there's no way to increase Sysnand size is there?

I'd love to understand where games go when installed from FBI (cias) or when installed from FreeShop.

As for my daughter and my other kid's 3DS consoles, I will try to install A9hl onto them as well soon but I have very little free time now, as we have to get ready for a trip to the US in a fortnight and also have a huge revamp of the house we live in while abroad.

Thanks for you help once again.
No. No one has made anything that would allow you to expand it. I don't think anyone's working on it.

The CIA/games get installed usually to SD card, but DSiWare stuff gets installed to NAND. Also some homebrew that deals with TWL. There is 40 title limit and only few hundred MB limit, if that. You can move titles that get installed to NAND to SD card under System -> Data Managemnt -> DSiWare. You won't be able to play the game while it's on the SD card. Home Menu has 300 title limit, including DSiWare. Things start to disappear if it goes over 300. You can still launch them with FBI.

If the game is really old, it would be a Virtual Console title and those should get installed to SD card. It could mean the SD card is corrupt, damaged, or fake. You can use https://3ds.guide/h2testw-(windows) to test it. Works best on an empty card. You can copy everything off the SD and test it, then copy it back.

If he wants a lot of old games, you're probably better off using flashcard or emulators. He should be able to play DS games using the Blue card instead of downloading DSiWare.

You can also use CDN-FX, FunKeyCIA, or FunkyCIA2 to download CIAs on your PC.

Reactions: Aglae Pheryl

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Might have to do with the micro SD card. I know I had to format the 64GB card in Fat32 using a tool I never used before. What tool could format it correctly?
Just for my understanding... is Nand a storage on the card or what is it exactly?

From Freeshop, can I choose where the games installs to? Or from FBI?

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might have to do with the micro SD card. I know I had to format the 64GB card in Fat32 using a tool I never used before. What tool could format it correctly?
Just for my understanding... is Nand a storage on the card or what is it exactly?

From Freeshop, can I choose where the games installs to? Or from FBI?
You can use GodMode9, EmuNAND9, and Fat32Formatter, and many others. Remember to backup your EmuNAND and contents of your SD card before any formatting. Personally I've used EmuNAND9, but that tool has been replaced by GodMode9.

You can't really choose the install destination. It will screw things up if choose the wrong spot. The apps put them in their proper place. DO NOT try to change it. They go where they go for a reason. I think FBI used to allow you to do this before. It will break things if you change the destination. Expect nothing but headaches if you do.

NAND is a chip on the 2/3DS motherboard. It stores the system software and such. You can read more here. Just read 1. How 3DS memory works & 2. What EmuNAND does. Technical detail.

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have no idea how it could be full. I know the kid's been adding new games from Freeshop but I am quite sure he has not added 300 DSI titles. There's something I don't get here.
Most of the games I see are virtual console games. I am not sure which are DSI ware but I know some are 3ds titles for sure (shovel knight).

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
I have no idea how it could be full. I know the kid's been adding new games from Freeshop but I am quite sure he has not added 300 DSI titles. There's something I don't get here.
Most of the games I see are virtual console games. I am not sure which are DSI ware but I know some are 3ds titles for sure (shovel knight).
Could be sdcard space has run out [does the 3ds pre-allocate space for downloads? (so partials take up space)]

Check storage in settings and see how many free blocks there are.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
open up fbi and look at the bottom of the top screen, you should see space available for the sd card and the various parts of nand, if you could us a screenshot of that it may help us understand what you are saying is actually full

Reactions: Quantumcat

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A sign that things have been installed to nand that shouldn't have been would be black icons on the homepage. If you have any of those (which can't be launched) it would indicate tiles have been installed to nand rather than the sd... finding out what they are so you can uninstall them is a trickier business.

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Going to the DS Ware menu in setup gives:
Console memory : 66 free blocks.
Micro SD card: 400 019 free blocks.

18 games installed from what I can see (one large (I suppose) being 235 blocks and a couple being respectively 127 & 115 blocs. The rest of it being 10+ to 89 blocs.

Hopefully I checked the right place. If not just tell me.

So should I erase the games he put there? Can I back them up somehow to reinstall later one at a time?

Last edited by Aglae Pheryl, , Reason: Added question.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Going to the DS Ware menu in setup gives:
Console memory : 66 free blocks.
Micro SD card: 400 019 free blocks.

18 games installed from what I can see (one large (I suppose) being 235 blocks and a couple being respectively 127 & 115 blocs. The rest of it being 10+ to 89 blocs.

Hopefully I checked the right place. If not just tell me.

So should I erase the games he put there? Can I back them up somehow to reinstall later one at a time?
You can delete games by going to System Settings, Data Management, DSiWare then deleting stuff from there.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can delete games by going to System Settings, Data Management, DSiWare then deleting stuff from there.
but with the amount of space available on the sd he/she might want to just shift it to the sd for quick access in the future, just have to move it back to nand to access them again
under the dsiware section for dsiware titles you can tap on them and an option to move to sd should be available

Last edited by jt_1258,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks all of you I got it to work. I have moved stuff from the nand to the micro sd card and can move it back to nand when he wants to play those that require to be stored in nand.
There's only one little issue left and that's actually for my own enjoyment, I am unable to run Ghouls 'n ghosts. It stays on the 3ds logo and won't boot. Any idea what could be wrong?
It is installed in Sys (Luma).
Thanks

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well well well, for some reasons beyond my knowledge afew games (very few) don't work when installed through Freeshop. Found a .cia for the same game and installed it with FBI. No issues this time.
Haven't had time to try many but the kid will probably do. I think I installed one game via FBI that did not work (may be not a fact though, I was really tired after a very long day). So that could be random.
Weird but life finds a way...
Thanks again for all your help.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all my time since the beginning of 3DS homebrew development this may be the first case I've ever heard of anyone having a full sysnand. It's such a rare case that someone should award you a medal for this accomplishment.

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm truly in disbelief how this is possible.

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
In all my time since the beginning of 3DS homebrew development this may be the first case I've ever heard of anyone having a full sysnand. It's such a rare case that someone should award you a medal for this accomplishment.

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm truly in disbelief how this is possible.

I'm not sure I understand the technical parts you're saying. So what am I supposed to have achieved while following other people's advices? I'll be glad to share the whole process (but most of it can be read in earlier messages).

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure I understand the technical parts you're saying. So what am I supposed to have achieved while following other people's advices? I'll be glad to share the whole process (but most of it can be read in earlier messages).
What did I say that I can clarify for You?

I'm awestruck that anyone was able to fill up the sysnand. Im not saying I don't believe you but I'm skeptical how such a thing would be possible. Anyways I hope you get the help you need with your 3DS.

If you aren't on the latest update I would follow the 3ds.guide to have a custom firmware properly installed on your system. Gateway is terrible and doesn't fully allow you to do the most with a modded system.

Last edited by RemixDeluxe,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup