Hardware SysNAND broken, EmuNAND fine on a9lh.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Just some suggestions:

- Remove any bootmanager!
- Get a clean AuReiNand install, then see if you can boot into setup menu from AuReiNand
- if that works, configure it so that you boot into sysnand.

or

- Get a clean SD without emunand
- Copy over your other SD content
- Setup a clean AuReiNand only on it
- Boot into AuReiNand setup
- Set it so to boot sysnand

Else,
- Try another sysnand only CFW to see if that boots into sysnand (Mizuki for example)

Dennis G

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe because you have MenuHax installed on Sysnand? Look at this thread.
Nope, i flashed a 9.2 without any themes, same result and i restored many firmwares without themehax :s

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can you flash emunand to sysnand? If you can't boot emunand9, rename your file to be able to flash it
i can flash sysnand to emunand and it works even though sysnand on sysnand does not and i can also flash emunand to sysnand and it will still boot black screen

Sounds like your hardmod isnt working anymore - bad solder joint/loose wire perhaps?
my hardmod is doing fine this also happens if i restore with decrypt, so not likely :c

Just some suggestions:

- Remove any bootmanager!
- Get a clean AuReiNand install, then see if you can boot into setup menu from AuReiNand
- if that works, configure it so that you boot into sysnand.

or

- Get a clean SD without emunand
- Copy over your other SD content
- Setup a clean AuReiNand only on it
- Boot into AuReiNand setup
- Set it so to boot sysnand

Else,
- Try another sysnand only CFW to see if that boots into sysnand (Mizuki for example)
Aureinand always works, i can change config, use boot managers, just when i hold L or R to boot sysnand it blackscreens, booting just aurei or emunand works flawless though.
i have cakes + mizu, both do the same, i tried different sd's and everything else too =P

Dennis G

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Have you tried reading back the NAND after writing it, and then comparing the results (hash comparison) to confirm it was written correctly?
Yes, all of them, all my restores are fine,i can confirm that on so many level, i can read out that stuff with Hxd that it should have, also all of the work as "emunands" it's just that booting everything in Sysnand get's me this problem. and if it woulden't write it propper to my intern nand then a9lh woulden't work and i can use my 3ds fine just using a9lh and emunand.
i can also acces all my internal partitions with godmode 9 from ctrboot9 and every file that should be ther is ther

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes, all of them, all my restores are fine,i can confirm that on so many level, i can read out that stuff with Hxd that it should have, also all of the work as "emunands" it's just that booting everything in Sysnand get's me this problem. and if it woulden't write it propper to my intern nand then a9lh woulden't work and i can use my 3ds fine just using a9lh and emunand.
i can also acces all my internal partitions with godmode 9 from ctrboot9 and every file that should be ther is ther
It's sounding more and more like the actual NAND flash is damaged. Maybe it's reached the end of its life or maybe it was faulty to begin with. I'd guess probably the latter. Anyway, sending it in for repair or doing a mobo swap yourself seem to be your only 2 options now.

ChaosRipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, i flashed a 9.2 without any themes, same result and i restored many firmwares without themehax :s

Themes are stored on the SD card and not the Nand. Therefore, no matter what Nand backup you flash, as long as the theme data exists on the SD card and the Nand can read it, then it will still attempt to execute MenuHax.

Dennis G

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Have you tried reading back the NAND after writing it, and then comparing the results (hash comparison) to confirm it was written correctly?
Themes are stored on the SD card and not the Nand. Therefore, no matter what Nand backup you flash, as long as the theme data exists on the SD card and the Nand can read it, then it will still attempt to execute MenuHax.
that's a good point but i've booted sysnand with a fresh sd that does not contain the nintendo 3ds folder =)

It's sounding more and more like the actual NAND flash is damaged. Maybe it's reached the end of its life or maybe it was faulty to begin with. I'd guess probably the latter. Anyway, sending it in for repair or doing a mobo swap yourself seem to be your only 2 options now.
or i can just stick with my perfectly fine emunand? i take that option haha, my 3ds is still kicking it fine, i just can't boot sysnand, btw this is a n3ds xl, it's 5 months old and i have hard mod since like 4 weeks, don't think that anything is at the end of it's life already haha

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
If that was the case, then I don't think it would have been able to load A9LH, since the Gateway brick essentially disables the NAND where A9LH is stored.
I considered that, but is it actually confirmed that the system cannot read any part of the NAND?
Perhaps the FIRM is still readable by the system after a Gateway brick.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I considered that, but is it actually confirmed that the system cannot read any part of the NAND?
Perhaps the FIRM is still readable by the system after a Gateway brick.
That's not how it works. The NAND chip doesn't know how to differentiate between FIRM and the rest of the NAND, they're just bits of data. The Gateway brick actually password locks the NAND, making it completely unreadable until unlocked.

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
That's not how it works. The NAND chip doesn't know how to differentiate between FIRM and the rest of the NAND, they're just bits of data. The Gateway brick actually password locks the NAND, making it completely unreadable until unlocked.
Thats how the original Gateway brick code worked, but the newer brick code introduced with Gateway Ultra v3.5 apparently works differently.

Last edited by Razor83,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Nope he is correct afaik the newer revision just changed how the password was generated thus preventing the unlock from working meaning new bricks require a nand backup, gateway bricks always pretty much lock the nand completely which would also block a9lh from functioning

If I had to guess if nand backups do t work but a9lh does I would say its probably down to interference from the nand mod or something messing with the nand operation

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Razor83

Dennis G

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Do you use Gateway at all? It might be one of those Gateway bricks which can only be repaired with a Raspberry Pi.
Maybe contact @gamesquest1 for more details.
i don't have a gateway so nope can't be that =x
+ i can boot a9lh and can acces all my nand partitions with godmode9, nand is kinda fine, just something about my sysnand is broken =P

Last edited by Dennis G,

bakasaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have the same problem, the thing is i'm only on cold boot. the unit is already working flawlessly for some time, then it suddenlt bricked. hardmod sysnand restore still resulted to a brick but emunand restore worked flawlessly. Emunand is on 10.7, the thing is all 3 sysupdaters were unable to downgrade the firmware, also did the patching thingy that was released before the 10.7 softmod downgrade. It always hanged after the getting cia information line. I can't even access recovery menu on the said emunand.
Can you access recovery menu?

Dennis G

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have the same problem, the thing is i'm only on cold boot. the unit is already working flawlessly for some time, then it suddenlt bricked. hardmod sysnand restore still resulted to a brick but emunand restore worked flawlessly. Emunand is on 10.7, the thing is all 3 sysupdaters were unable to downgrade the firmware, also did the patching thingy that was released before the 10.7 softmod downgrade. It always hanged after the getting cia information line. I can't even access recovery menu on the said emunand.
Can you access recovery menu?
Nope i can't acces recovery menu, for two reasons, first is i run 9.2 sysnand with a9lh atm so i can use a9lh along with my working emunand, and a9lh blocks recovery, but even when i restore to a non a9lh firmware it still won't recovery too.
so no i can't acces recovery menu either, did you restore the 10.7 emunand as sysnand and that works? because even that doesn't work for me, i can put anything as sysnand and it won't work but putting the same thing in emunand will work

bakasaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yes, restored 10.7 emunand thru hardmod with no probs. it booted fine but can't downgrade. restoring 9.2 clean sysnand still resulted to a brick. so CFW is a no go for this unit.
you're lucky you are already on a9lh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended