• Views 377,380
  • Replies 1,151
  • Likes 85

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a standard called USB PD that devices and chargers can use to recognise and request different power levels. Nintendo, helpfully, uses a non-standard variant of this standard.
I'm familiar with PD. Do we know what Nintendo does differently? I was checking with my power meter and was not seeing any differences between power draw using the Nintendo adapter or my other adapters. Playing BOTW in dock mode seemed to draw ~4.8 - 5.4 watts from the console and maybe another watt to power the dock depending on which one I was testing with.

And I guess more to the point, why do some clock settings require the Nintendo adapter when a standard USB PD adapter can easily supply the needed current.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I guess more to the point, why do some clock settings require the Nintendo adapter when a standard USB PD adapter can easily supply the needed current.
simply put resistors. people love to buy cheap cords that lack proper resistors and then wonder how it bricked their switch.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc switch specifically needs 15v 2.6a otherwise it’ll fallback to slower (~5w) charging, which sysclk won’t see as an “official” charger.
5w is not enough to support older Erista hardware at higher clocks (which in extreme cases, from personal observations, can hit upto almost 40w) so the limit is present.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc switch specifically needs 15v 2.6a otherwise it’ll fallback to slower (~5w) charging, which sysclk won’t see as an “official” charger.
5w is not enough to support older Erista hardware at higher clocks (which in extreme cases, from personal observations, can hit upto almost 40w) so the limit is present.
So does this mean that using a 45+ watt PD charger and cable capable of 3 amp or more will be recognized as an official charger? Or do we need to make a special cable with Nintendo's resistor values so the Switch will use all of the available power?

Tsunn7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For anyone that has the game already, does overclocking help with Digimon Survive performance? Heard it has some fps drops, was curious about if it's fixable or not through OC. Still haven't received my copy so I can't try for myself yet (will keep the post updated).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.reddit.com/r/maybemaybemaybe/comments/ws8fpm/maybe_maybe_maybe/?utm_medium=android_ap...