Syndicate is now a 1st person shooter!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Nov 27, 2011.

Nov 27, 2011
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG]

Many gamers may remember the isometric view real-time-strategy known as Syndicate. Recently EA and developer Starbreeze announced that the reboot would be a 1st person shooter. It goes without saying that many nostalgic gamers cringed a bit, yet according to the developers there is nothing to worry about. Syndicate's Executive Producer Jeff Gamon has told IGN that "the spirit of the previous titles is very much intact."

The game will continue to thrive in a cyberpunk future complete with cyborgs and evil corporations. While the idea of revamping these classic Syndicate elements were always on the back-burner, EA has been waiting for just the right time to move forward. After working hard to give the new game its own unique feel, Gamon has described the game as "somewhere between the slick, minimalist aesthetic of Mirror's Edge, with the futuristic look of classic futuristic films." After checking out some screen shots there is more than enough gorgeous graphics to get this old Syndicate player excited for the future of the series.

The cyberpunk future was a theme that thrived heavily in the late-80s to mid-90s. Syndicate tapped into the imagination of gamers by offering a full on thriving cyberpunk world for them to explore. Starbreeze is well aware of the cyberpunk roots and has worked hard to maintain the feeling of such a world. However, they openly admit that they never set out to remake the original game. We will have to wait until its release to see if it is just a great 1st person shooter or if it is a great update to the Syndicate series.

Read more about the game via the link below, and then let us know how you feel about the new Syndicate game.

[​IMG] Source

2. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    Loved Syndicate Wars back in the day just watched the trailer for this on my 360 and it looks pretty awesome. Will definatley be picking this game up.
    I think this gen is only just starting to reach it's peak, games like this show how much it's come along since 360 launched.
    Also watched the new DmC trailer which is also looking fantastic I think it's great Capcom have outsourced it to Ninja Theory, it needed a fresh take.

1 person likes this.
  3. ferret7463

Member ferret7463 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    yes , that is what we need.... more of first person shooters :glare: . These pieces of of crap,make up about 80% of all the present available games. :angry:

4. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    That's no news mister.

I've already ranted about it on DS-Scene a good month ago, but since then... the idea kinda grew less nasty to me. I won't judge Syndicate by its cover - perhaps it won't be half as bad as we think it will.

2 people like this.
  5. Saken

Member Saken GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Breaking news, Mario is now FPS

6. BigLord

Member BigLord GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    But... what made Syndicate fun in the first place was its isometric view... and ability to control more than one guy at a time, commanding them... and even "persuading" civilians or cops!

I like the FPS genre, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

7. shadowmanwkp

Member shadowmanwkp Your roms are on another rom site

Netherlands
    Breaking news: Mario uses a gun... not

8. unz

Member unz Chaotic Neutral

Australia
    FPS? What a senseless waste of a classic title.

9. mario5555

mario5555 Newbie

You guys know as well as I do, if Syndicate was released tomorrow as a overhead view isometric strategy game it would bomb, period.

All I have hope on this game is that it is similar to Bioshock or Deus Ex and contains action but more, with some RGP-ish embellishments thrown in for good measure. Instead of a straight out action-a-thon, which will seriously hurt it if they fail to take advantage of the IP like they should.

10. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    -sigh-

Fuck you, stupid bandwagon devs.

11. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    interest dropped to over 9000

12. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States
    Not exactly news, but I'm excited. Was a huge fan of syndicate wars, and while I'm wishing it could have been the same format, I don't mind it becoming a FPS because it looks like it could be FUN. I won't sit here and cry about fps' just because they're common and popular, like most people in this thread, I'll actually give it a chance.

13. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    The topic is a bit mis-leading, it's way more than just another FPS. If you watch the developer interviews or the trailer on live you will see all the diferent classes and ways to play.
    I agree with mario5555, if this was released as an RTS it wouldn't sell anywhere near enough copies to recoup it's money.

14. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Damned be this generation. Killing classic after classic. First X-Com converted to an FPS, now this?

Screw this, I'm gonna just replay the old ones.

15. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Hey, this is news to me.
    Not everyone read all internets, so thanks for posting this.

I loved syndicate on my amiga.
    I didn't expect to see a new release from this franchise, but making it an FPS?
    I guess it's the current selling genre, so they are using it.

I won't be interested :(

16. sputnix

Member sputnix GBAtemp Fan

Bangladesh
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold news
    besides that the game seems like a poor man's crysis, but with alot of useless shit on screen [looks unplayable unless on a 40 inch wide screen]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCFclriQtBU
    fun tidbit mario was originally developed to use a gun, but was later dropped but stayed as the fire flower :creep:

17. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    RTS to FPS? Sounds worse than it may actually be. Give it some time to show itself and what it can do. Play the demo (if there is one), or play the game.. and THEN judge.

18. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    fuck you ea go on ruin yet another franchise like you did with the sims and red alert. it's all you do these days

19. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    This news is a bit old, but whatever.

I don't mind FPS's; they're a great genre, and can be the most immersive when handled well. I do, however, have a problem with slapping the name of an old, beloved franchise onto a new game for the sake of capitalizing on the fans (*cough* X-COM *cough*). It's an obvious and shameless ploy, and it's sad because this game could genuinely be great on its own; no matter how good the game is, it will never be able to stand on its own.