Symbian OS emulation

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by laminaatplaat, Jul 20, 2007.

1. laminaatplaat
    OP

laminaatplaat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 25, 2007
    United States
    In the DS scene alot of people are creating alot of usefull programs to make your ds a multimedia device much like an PDA. That's why I was thinking about how great it was to use all the programmes that already exist with touchscrene devices in somewhat the same shape. Instead of creating a DS version of all the programms 1 by 1 wouldnt it be great if the Symbian platform it self could be emulated! Writing, navigator and agenda software would be added to the DS software library [​IMG]

I was thinking about the s60 3rd edition OS because this a high tech OS that work on mobilephones (so i guessed they maybe arent that hardware demading [​IMG])

But since I have no clew about emulators if something like this would be remotely possible..

My main question is could the DS handle an OS like this?

2. gigermunit

gigermunit GBAtemp Fan

May 13, 2007
    United States
    Orlando
    I think if we can get the DragonMinded and The guy who made Moonshell working on it they would probably make something that surpasses that OS,yeah i think a ds can handle that OS tho.

3. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    I'd love it if there was a program to play JAR files on the DS.

4. pasc

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    what are jar files for again ?

BTW: How do you think shall we break down that laguage barrier between moonlight and DM ?

5. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    Mobile games and software.

6. Infinitus

Infinitus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2007
    United States
    They already have two operating systems for the DS, DSLinux (currently no GUI) and GEOS (Currently only works on M3 cards.)

GEOS has it's own built-in graphical editor (Think MS paint) and text editor (think Notepad), along with some other programs.

DSLinux currently can launch Unix-based apps, and has its own built-in text editor (command-based.)

7. laminaatplaat
    OP

laminaatplaat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 25, 2007
    United States
    The idea of the OS simulation is that you can instantly use alot off programms that where specialy designed for small touchscreens. (smartphones, pda's ) So that would make it only usefull on the lowerscreen...

8. gigermunit

gigermunit GBAtemp Fan

May 13, 2007
    United States
    Orlando
    Im sure moonlight understands english otherwise there wouldnt be alot of his proggies in english......

9. Glacius0

Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    JAR is actually java. And yeah, the java platform runs on mobile phones.

10. acrocosm

acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2004
    London/Patra
    hmmm can you add more c64 proggies to it or that's not possible currently?