Hacking SX OS Exfat Support - Official update or modify nand?

GunzOfNavarone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you couldn't tell already, Kate is very anti-TX. So it makes sense why she would tout a cheaper/free version of whatever TX was dishing out. At the very least, its an option for those who have the capabilities should follow. In fact, there's a thread here on GBATemp where users got together to make their own version of the dongle.

Oh yeah, I know she is. She touts that she doesn't like that TX stand for piracy and to profit off it, so to combat that she informs Nintendo about the Tegra exploit and then says she will release her own exploit for others to produce 'homebrew' for. A free version that will stop TX's profits, yet to do that, you would need a backup loader which is the very thing she says she's against. It's all a bit daft.

I must be honest though, I was expecting something wholly different from Tempkin the way she's been hyping it up, not a clone. And whilst that might be a cheaper option for a lot of people, I dare say that most aren't going to have the knowledge to do that. When she originally spoke about hard mods, she had discussed how easy the Switch was to solder and how clean the points were and that they weren't that small so anyone with a basic level of soldering experience would be able to do it. So it seems she's chopping and changing her mind if the dongle is the hard mod.

Anyway... it is what it is. TX or Tempkin.

Last edited by GunzOfNavarone,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, I know she is. She touts that she doesn't like that TX stand for piracy and to profit of it, so to combat that she informs Nintendo about the Tegra exploit and then says she will release her own exploit for others to produce 'homebrew' for. A free version that will stop TX's profits, yet to do that, you would need a backup loader which is the very thing she says she's against. It's all a bit daft.

I must be honest though, I was expecting something wholly different from Tempkin the way she's been hyping it up, not a clone. And whilst that might be a cheaper option for a lot of people, I dare say that most aren't going to have the knowledge to do that. When she originally spoke about hard mods, she had discussed how easy the Switch was to solder and how clean the points were and that they weren't that small so anyone with a basic level of soldering experience would be able to do it. So it seems she's chopping and changing her mind if the dongle is the hard mod.

Anyway... it is what it is. TX or Tempkin.
That's typically how PR people usually work. They fluff up their product/company to look better than the competition because that's their job. Or at least that's how I saw it since she had no proof to backup her claims and consistently insisted we believe her out of her good will. Regardless, thanks to a fourth party, it has helped clear the air and settle what the actual differences are between the competition. Also note that she consistently downplays the warmboots in favor of hardmods. SciresM is so far the only one to have shown off that type of exploitation meaning all she can be accredited for is the Tegra exploit so its no surprise she would favor her own exploit over others. And thus because of her actions (as well as several others), most of ReSwitched's name is not held in high regard. If not for SciresM (and TuxSH), the community would not have much hope for Atmosphere.

Reactions: GunzOfNavarone

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
you mean if you update with SX oS right? if i just install it to 2.3.0 and use it on 2.3.0 it won't burn any efuses right?
a
If your system firmware is 2.3.0 and you didn't update to 2.3.0 with the method to prevent burning fuses, there won't be any extra fuses burnt. It only occurs when you have updated to a firmware, not matter which one, without burning fuses. LayeredFS recognizes this and doesn't burn fuses, but SX OS does burn fuses right now. They've already confirmed that they're working on it and will prevent burning fuses in future SX OS updates.

Last edited by pLaYeR^^,

mastermx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty sure this is the 4.1 exploit she is referring to since it reaches Trustzone-level exploitation which is all that's needed to load any type of unsigned code
https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/964619151913336833
Also to add on, if they were hardmods, then they would be inferior to the current tethered exploit as it reaches the highest level of code execution (coldboot). Since the hardmod in this case is as simple as using a 3D-printed jig, any hardmod that is as simple or even simpler will not make the differences between the hardmods significant enough of a trade-off that you would use one for bootrom access over ones that achieve it later down the console's power cycle.

I'm quite confused, does this mean that there is absolutely no reason for me to stay on 3.0.0?

I've stayed on 3.0.0 so that I have coldboot and wouldn't require the jig. But does this video mean that other firmwares can have what 3.0.0 was meant to have?

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I'm quite confused, does this mean that there is absolutely no reason for me to stay on 3.0.0?

I've stayed on 3.0.0 so that I have coldboot and wouldn't require the jig. But does this video mean that other firmwares can have what 3.0.0 was meant to have?
No, 3.0.0 will probably have coldboot and a software solution. It's not useless to stay on 3.0.0.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

To add onto what pLaYeR^^ said, the exploit that was shown is not going to be the same exploit that will be released for firmwares 3.0 and below. That is because the one shown in the video may not have been patched out in 5.X and thus they are holding out on its release until they can test it on 5.X. The softmod for 2.0-3.0 will most likely be released around the same time Atmosphere is completed meaning 3.0 users will likely see a softmod before users on 3.01 and above. So, just to reiterate, 3.0 is NOT useless.

mypetfrog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I have a 3.0.0 with latest updated v1.2 (non fuse burning allegedly) SX OS installed and I'm fed up with the splitting hassle of FAT32 so want to get exFAT set up. Is there any problems with doing the tutorial here https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...tch-console-on-any-ofw-without-update.505182/ ?

Or should I just upgrade to a different firmware entirely? If not using the method linked above, what firmware do I need to get to and how?

Cheers

Last edited by mypetfrog,

willdunz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have a 3.0.0 with latest updated v1.2 (non fuse burning allegedly) SX OS installed and I'm fed up with the splitting hassle of FAT32 so want to get exFAT set up. Is there any problems with doing the tutorial here https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...tch-console-on-any-ofw-without-update.505182/ ?

Or should I just upgrade to a different firmware entirely? If not using the method linked above, what firmware do I need to get to and how?

Cheers

That tutorial is fine. I got exfat support from that.

Masacci0

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
being that exfat support is installed with some carts files, wouldn't it be possible to use sx os to install it from dumps?

Last edited by Masacci0,

cyris69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 2.0.0 and formatted my SD to exFAT and no issues running full sized games. Or was that SD update on 2.0?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?