SX OS Exfat Support - Official update or modify nand?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by GunzOfNavarone, Jun 19, 2018.

1. GunzOfNavarone
    OP

GunzOfNavarone GBAtemp Fan

Aug 16, 2016
    Hi,

Just a quick question as I only picked up a Switch about 6 weeks ago and haven't played a thing on it yet.

It has system firmware 3.0.2 on it and presumably no exfat support. I've not received my SX Pro yet but want to get the console ready for when it arrives. Can anyone confirm 100% that SX OS is working on 5.0.2? I know Executer have said it is, but it would just be reassuring to hear from some others. - I don't think at this point there is much point going the non-official method of updating (to get the exfat support) as Kate Tempkin mentioned that 3.0.2 and above had the least vulnerability anyway.

So basically, I'm thinking of updating before Nintendo decide to suddenly drop 5.0.3 and I then have to wait on an update for SX OS. Has anyone taken the plunge on 5.0.2??

Thanks.

2. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    SX OS works on any firmware, don't worry. But there's a method to install the exFAT update without actually updating your system firmware.
    Thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...tch-console-on-any-ofw-without-update.505182/

3. Moquedami

Moquedami GBAtemp Fan

Nov 16, 2006
    Argentina
    Last edited by Moquedami, Jun 19, 2018
    SodaSoba, charlieb and GunzOfNavarone like this.
  4. cantrollmyrs

cantrollmyrs Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2018
    United States
    You do realize we are at 5.10 your update would go past 5.0.2

5. Rob Blou

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    I have the same issue ... I'm gonna use the guide to do it since 4.1 will eventually get cold boot and probably not 5.x (other than the autoRCM)

6. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa Planeptunes Male CPU

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    SX OS burns EFuses? i dont believe that without proof (i dont say youre not right but....)

7. Moquedami

Moquedami GBAtemp Fan

Nov 16, 2006
    Argentina
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...ally-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/page-17

Two cases already

8. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa Planeptunes Male CPU

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    nevermind i found it...thats shit

9. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    You mean Nintendo burn the fuses.... since SX OS isn't burning them as far as I can see. You just need to use a newer firmware that is all. The SX OS work just as advertised.

cearp, Chizko and Craftyawesome like this.
  10. Moquedami

Moquedami GBAtemp Fan

Nov 16, 2006
    Argentina
    Yap, pretty bad if you were hoping to stay in a low firm using SX OS

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If i undestood correctly, you will still be using 4.1 or whatever firm you had, but SX OS would burn fuses up to the last firmware aviable. For compatibility reasons i guess.

Wich makes me wonder. If you cannot use your nand backup, you wont be able to recover the system in case of a brick, right?

There is a new topic on the subjet:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/careful-when-using-rajkostos-upgrade-system-and-sx-os.508038/

11. GunzOfNavarone
    OP

Aug 16, 2016
    Ah shit...

I read that incorrectly. In that case, 5.1.0 - Is it even working on that version? I mean if push comes to shove, I can use Fat32 but I'd have rather used exfat and as pointed out above, using the nand modification is futile.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

In fact, it is working on 5.1.0. So cool... thanks guys, much appreciated. I'm not exactly noob level but my head is mashed with getting familiar with Spectredev's PS4 exploit recently!

12. Ghassen-ga

Ghassen-ga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2016
    Can anyone explain to me what burning fuses mean, And why nintendo used it in the first place?

13. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Quantumcat likes this.
  14. Moquedami

Moquedami GBAtemp Fan

Nov 16, 2006
    Argentina
    Oh, cool, so you can keep your older firm and use SX OS no problem.
    That's a good.

15. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    mushroom kingdom
    Basically when you update, you burn an efuse. When you turn on the switch, it looks at how many fuses are burnt. For the sake of this example, let's say that the switch has 10 efuses, and updating from 1.0.0 all the way to 5.1.0 burns 7 of them. When you boot up the switch, it would look for 3 fuses. Too many or too little, and the switch will brick iirc. This is why we can't downgrade, because the number of efuses doesn't match up

Ghassen-ga and GunzOfNavarone like this.
  16. GunzOfNavarone
    OP

Aug 16, 2016
    If you used the non-official way of updating to get exfat support, wouldn't installing SX OS overwrite / override that base version? Or am I talking nonsense? Just trying to wrap my head around how it would work. Xecuter have said they will continue to support the product so presumably newer games requiring newer firmware versions will get an accompanying TX update to go with them, but how would that impact on a lower base firmware?

17. Masacci0

Masacci0 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2018
    Italy

Man don't spread false information before you actually understand what you're talking about.

If you use the method to update without burning efuses sx os will burn them, but if you're on a firmware without tweaking with these tutorial, sx os will not touch anything and you stay at your fw and efuses coupled with it.

cearp and Memoir like this.
  18. KsAmJ

KsAmJ GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2015
    is this worse??

19. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    No, SX OS still works on 5.1.0.

20. KsAmJ

KsAmJ GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2015
    i mean in homebrew and hacking scene wise??